The Student Room Group

Nursing Dissertation- Literature Review

Hi all,

My dissertation is due in just over 4 weeks time... I haven't started.
I had a lot going on with my living situation before Christmas, during the holiday I had to work shifts just to be able to pay my rent and I've spent the last week moving house. I'm finally settled and my new home is a much better environment and somewhere I can actually focus.

For my dissertation I have to do a 7000 word literature review on a nursing related topic. I'm in such a panic about it all I haven't even been able to choose a topic, every time I try to my head spins into overdrive. I usually work well under pressure and believe that I'll be able to complete the dissertation in time but I can't do anything until I have my topic!

I'm really interested in Gynaecology but cannot seem to find a particular subject/question that has a lot of evidence and research on it.

Any tips on how to complete the dissertation / my topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Bea x
Hi, I would suggest you go to your college/uni library and open a small/medium book on Gynaecology (not a massive one lest you get overwhelmed!).

First, look just in the contents section at the front, see what topics sound interesting, then read up on the actual pages on one or two topics. That way, you will get a feel of the subject, the anatomy, physiology, pathology, etc., and THEN ONLY can you narrow down to one topic e.g. uterine polyps, a contraceptive device, cervical cancer, infertility, etc.

After that, look up detailed info via books and online research papers (from authoritative sources NOT just a google search, cos the latter will come up with thousands of links to non-authoritative info).

If stuck, PM me - I shall try to help out.

M (former medical student)
@pinkpixie99

Did my answer above help??
Reply 3
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
@pinkpixie99

Did my answer above help??

Hi, I would suggest you go to your college/uni library and open a small/medium book on Gynaecology (not a massive one lest you get overwhelmed!).

First, look just in the contents section at the front, see what topics sound interesting, then read up on the actual pages on one or two topics. That way, you will get a feel of the subject, the anatomy, physiology, pathology, etc., and THEN ONLY can you narrow down to one topic e.g. uterine polyps, a contraceptive device, cervical cancer, infertility, etc.

After that, look up detailed info via books and online research papers (from authoritative sources NOT just a google search, cos the latter will come up with thousands of links to non-authoritative info).

If stuck, PM me - I shall try to help out.

M (former medical student)

Hi M,

Thank you so so much for your advice!! I’m unable to get to the library until Friday as I’m on placement, but luckily I can use the uni library online and hopefully be able to find my topic that way! If not I will definitel on Friday.

I was in such a panic about it and you’ve made me see it so differently and I can actually structure how I choose my topic now.

Thanks again!
Bea x
Original post by pinkpixie99
Hi M,

Thank you so so much for your advice!! I’m unable to get to the library until Friday as I’m on placement, but luckily I can use the uni library online and hopefully be able to find my topic that way! If not I will definitel on Friday.

I was in such a panic about it and you’ve made me see it so differently and I can actually structure how I choose my topic now.

Thanks again!
Bea x

Hi Bea,

Glad to hear that I have helped put you on the right track, and thanks ever so much for the rep! - Although Sheldon should know everything about everything (:u:), I must admit I cannot work out the ethnicity of a lady called Bea (:confused:) - are you from Poland, Sweden, etc. OR is it a nickname for Beatrice??

Once you have selected a topic, PM me if you would like to be flooded with interesting info lol!

M
Reply 5
Hi Bea,

Glad to hear that I have helped put you on the right track, and thanks ever so much for the rep! - Although Sheldon should know everything about everything (:u:), I must admit I cannot work out the ethnicity of a lady called Bea (:confused:) - are you from Poland, Sweden, etc. OR is it a nickname for Beatrice??

Once you have selected a topic, PM me if you would like to be flooded with interesting info lol!

M

Hi M,

Sorry for the late reply, I have only just seen your post!

My dissertation is due on Tuesday the 25th, I've very nearly finished but need to patch a few things up... I decided to do it on 'the management of alcohol dependent patients in acute care', safe to say it's been a struggle!! Thanks again for your encouragement:h:

I would love to be really interesting and tell you that my name is from another country; but I'm afraid that Bea is short for...well....Bea. Haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending