The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duskstar
The element which contains the while chart, iirc it's a div with a 'highchart' class has an attribute chart-data with all the info in it in a JSON format :smile:

You remember correctly; it's in the "data-chart" attribute of a "charts-highchart chart" class div. :smile:

Original post by jneill
Guys, don't stress - it would be nice but NOT A PRIORITY. :smile:

Cheers though :smile:

Sure. Post pack here if/when there is sufficient demand to make it a priority and if I've got some time I can give it a go - it's not overly straightforward but looks doable. :yep:

Original post by vincrows
You guys....@Duskstar @alex_hk90 @jneill
Can you speak in English, please? Most of us don't understand what the **** you're talking about???

:tongue:

:lol: :h:
You guys....@Duskstar @alex_hk90 @jneill
Can you speak in English, please? Most of us don't understand what the **** you're talking about???

:tongue:

Go fight back with your archeology knowledge!
I can assist with my chemicals and laser gun:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Go fight back with your archeology knowledge!
I can assist with my chemicals and laser gun:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My archaeological knowledge is so archaic now, you'd need a very good team of archaeologists to dig them up......
I can talk about economics and politics, though.....then most people would fall asleep because they get bored....
My archaeological knowledge is so archaic now, you'd need a very good team of archaeologists to dig them up......
I can talk about economics and politics, though.....then most people would fall asleep because they get bored....

Lol! :lol: I know a cantab
archeologist, I will go ask him :ahee:
Asleep enemies are easy to strike you know...:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there. I am international applicant from Dubai and am quite lost on the 31 different colleges I may choose to apply to at Cambridge. I will be reading Computer Science and look for a balanced (work hard play hard) lifestyle, good food, entrepreneurial opportunities and a cosmopolitan experience. Further, I'm not so big on art, historic architecture and gardens (including the possibility to walk over one). Preliminary googling has pointed my attention to Churchill, Christ, King's and Trinity. However, I am looking for some authentic perspective on all my options.

Thank you very much!

(Clarity: I am in the IB and expect a predicted of around 42/45 possibly due to a 6 in Spanish ab and 1/3 in EE/TOK. My subjects are Math, Physics, Econ at HL and Chemistry, English Lang.Lit, Spanish ab initio at SL)
Original post by suyash2099
Hi there. I am international applicant from Dubai and am quite lost on the 31 different colleges I may choose to apply to at Cambridge. I will be reading Computer Science and look for a balanced (work hard play hard) lifestyle, good food, entrepreneurial opportunities and a cosmopolitan experience. Further, I'm not so big on art, historic architecture and gardens (including the possibility to walk over one). Preliminary googling has pointed my attention to Churchill, Christ, King's and Trinity. However, I am looking for some authentic perspective on all my options.

Thank you very much!

(Clarity: I am in the IB and expect a predicted of around 42/45 possibly due to a 6 in Spanish ab and 1/3 in EE/TOK. My subjects are Math, Physics, Econ at HL and Chemistry, English Lang.Lit, Spanish ab initio at SL)

From what you said, I'd say Churchill. Hands down. It's the nearest to Computer Laboratory among them. (Actually the nearest of all colleges) :smile:
I've done quite a bit of reading, and have narrowed it down to:
Christ's
Emmanuel
Gonville and Caius
Kings'
Pembroke
Queens'
St John's
Trinity Hall

Does anyone have any opinions on these? I'm applying to do HSPS - sociology and social anthropology if that is any help?
Ideally I would like:
- Medium sized college
- Towards the centre of Cambridge, so near to stuff like lectures
- Accommodation for all the way through, but not too expensive rent. Self-catering facilities.
- Nice grounds
- Decent facilities
- Not too pretentious, but still holding onto tradition.

I love the look of King's, and I stayed at St. John's on a residential week at the University, but I am worried their prestige will attract better candidates, so it may be 'harder' to get in?
Does applying to Churchill (acc. rate 12%) over Trinity (acc. rate 20%) reduce my odds at getting into any college at Cambridge University?
Original post by Phoebe-fuller
I've done quite a bit of reading, and have narrowed it down to:
Christ's
Emmanuel
Gonville and Caius
Kings'
Pembroke
Queens'
St John's
Trinity Hall

Does anyone have any opinions on these? I'm applying to do HSPS - sociology and social anthropology if that is any help?
Ideally I would like:
- Medium sized college
- Towards the centre of Cambridge, so near to stuff like lectures
- Accommodation for all the way through, but not too expensive rent. Self-catering facilities.
- Nice grounds
- Decent facilities
- Not too pretentious, but still holding onto tradition.

I love the look of King's, and I stayed at St. John's on a residential week at the University, but I am worried their prestige will attract better candidates, so it may be 'harder' to get in?

Trinity Hall is tiny, both in physical size and the number of students.
Other than that, any of others will do.
Despite of preconception by many people outside, there aren't that much different between colleges.
As for 'easy/difficult to get in' things, please read the links on 'Colleges' section in this post.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3554013&p=58964173#post58964173
Does applying to Churchill (acc. rate 12%) over Trinity (acc. rate 20%) reduce my odds at getting into any college at Cambridge University?

Generally college choice has little if any impact on getting into the university as a whole, and specifically I wouldn't think that applying to Churchill instead of Trinity will decrease your chances, no.

No. Apply to the college you prefer.

If, for some reason, you don't quite manage to get an offer there you may be placed in the Winter Pool and get an offer to a different college.

Plan A, apply to Churchill (or whatever). The pool works well as a Plan B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone recommend me a college?

I am looking for:
-a college with traditions but a progressive mind set
-central location and accommodation
-good music facilities
-friendly, creative and open (non-elitist) atmosphere
I'm applying for HSPS.

Some of the colleges I'm currently looking at are Clare, Jesus and King's, but all suggestions are very welcome!
Original post by Athena7
Could anyone recommend me a college?

I am looking for:
-a college with traditions but a progressive mind set
-central location and accommodation
-good music facilities
-friendly, creative and open (non-elitist) atmosphere
I'm applying for HSPS.

Some of the colleges I'm currently looking at are Clare, Jesus and King's, but all suggestions are very welcome!

The parts I bolded, there's really, really, really no difference between colleges.
All colleges have those quality you listed. Honestly.
I know one college that's quite big on music, with very active music-related clubs/society and new auditorium, but it's not in the central location, so it's not good for you. But most colleges do have good music facilities, anyway.
If you're applying for HSPS, the some of your lectures may be at Sidgwick site which is outside the centre in the west, so that's something you may want to bear in mind, too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys,

I am applying for medicine and am looking for a college with:

Beautiful gardens and old-fashioned buildings
Involved in university life- busy, bustling feel
Quite academically pushy
Accommodation on site/near main site
Central location
Good library, sports and music facilities
Tasty, cheap food

Which colleges have swimming pools? Is their a college that is popular with medics? I am thinking about Trinity Hall so comments are welcome...
Original post by Caggles
Hi guys,

Quite academically pushy
Central location
Tasty, cheap food

Which colleges have swimming pools? Is their a college that is popular with medics? I am thinking about Trinity Hall so comments are welcome...

Only Girton and Emma have pools, and Emma's is outside so only in use for a few months a year. Most people swim at Parkside leisure centre.

Caius takes the highest number of med students, just because it's been historically allocated more of the quota, but most other colleges have 8-12(ish) medics per year. Tit hall is nice, though IIRC quite a bit of its 2nd/3rd year accommodation is off-site and relatively far out.

Emma and Pembroke would be reasonable fits for your criteria, though I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of right now!
Original post by Helenia
Only Girton and Emma have pools, and Emma's is outside so only in use for a few months a year. Most people swim at Parkside leisure centre.

Caius takes the highest number of med students, just because it's been historically allocated more of the quota, but most other colleges have 8-12(ish) medics per year. Tit hall is nice, though IIRC quite a bit of its 2nd/3rd year accommodation is off-site and relatively far out.

Emma and Pembroke would be reasonable fits for your criteria, though I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of right now!

Christ's has a pool as well!
Original post by Caggles
Hi guys,

Quite academically pushy
Central location
Tasty, cheap food

I'd have said Christ's... Literally fits all those. Sports facilities are further out because it's central though, so it depends on what you want. There's a sports centre, but the fields are on the edge. But that'll be the case for all central colleges.

There's a gym and squash court, a theatre, music rooms to be booked.

It's meant to be quite academic, used to average 1st, dropped a bit now.

Accommodation all inside or the road outside.

Has fellow gardens and buildings are quite old, also a newer building for accommodation, and a new one to be built for your entry possibly.

It's THE most central college

Can't vouch for food being tasty however.

And yeah, they have an outdoor pool (not heated) so easter time only

But you can use the one in a sports centre for a price
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you guys! I will do some research into the suggested colleges
I was going to ask this in the 'Ask an AT' thread, but apparently it closed yesterday :/
Anyway, I was wondering... for my course, some colleges will demand a test at interview and others will not. I am currently interested in two colleges, one of which just interviews (Christ) and the other who also demands a test (Homerton). I would like to know: how would (not) taking a test affect my eventual chances of getting pooled? I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but it's better, I suppose, to be prepared for situations that won't happen than the other way around. Can anyone help me?
Original post by maracatinca
I was going to ask this in the 'Ask an AT' thread, but apparently it closed yesterday :/
Anyway, I was wondering... for my course, some colleges will demand a test at interview and others will not. I am currently interested in two colleges, one of which just interviews (Christ) and the other who also demands a test (Homerton). I would like to know: how would (not) taking a test affect my eventual chances of getting pooled? I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but it's better, I suppose, to be prepared for situations that won't happen than the other way around. Can anyone help me?

The AT answered a similar question in his thread. Basically if you are pooled the fishing colleges use all the info available to them. You won't be disadvantaged.

If they really want you to do a test they can call you back for another interview when the pool is open and test you then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending