The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sabi599
Problem is I only have AS FM as my school doesnt teach it and im having to self study this year. Im afraid of getting assigned to a college that needs the full A Level.

I provided a potential answer in your original post about Chem Eng and AS FM.

Also, just asking "what is the best college" doesn't exactly give much to go on... hence the answer you received here. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScarletRose
Does anyone have any thoughts on Corpus Christi?

My sister goes here so I can give you an outsider's opinion!! It's beautiful and central but the accommodation can be a bit far out and dated. The people are all lovely and it's a really close community, it's small so everyone knows each other. Hope this helps, though I would encourage everyone to apply to Christ's haha! :tongue:
I'm stuck between Pembroke and St John's! Anyone got any thoughts?
Original post by Phoebe-fuller
I'm stuck between Pembroke and St John's! Anyone got any thoughts?

What are you looking for in the college?

I am a current Pembroke student so can perhaps help with a dose of advice heavily biased in favour of my college.
How is Pembroke for like accommodation and the type of ppl there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I've narrowed down my choices to 3 colleges, Churchill, St John's and Trinity Hall. I'm a really friendly Irish student who loves dancing and playing volleyball and I want to study Physics if that's at all relevant. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Original post by dancingrabbit
Hi! I've narrowed down my choices to 3 colleges, Churchill, St John's and Trinity Hall. I'm a really friendly Irish student who loves dancing and playing volleyball and I want to study Physics if that's at all relevant. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

I can't help you with the best college for Irish dancing and volleyballing physicists - but I've repped you anyway for a great question! :smile:

There's no real difference in 'friendliness' between colleges (all colleges have a mix of all sorts of people, as any any real life environment would have. :wink:), but John's is a very large college and Trinity Hall is one of the smallest, while Churchill had the highest ratio of Science students, so that's one thing you may need to think about.
Volleyball is not a major sport at Cambridge and there're quite a few colleges that don't have their own volleyball club or don't have their own facility even they have a club. Also, some clubs only exist when they get enough players to form a team. If you want to play for a college team, maybe it'd be better to contact those colleges and ask their VB club exist. There's the university team (Blues) for both men and women, too, so if you want to play for them, a choice of college won't matter. :wink:
No idea about dancing....:tongue:. What sort of dancing are you interested? I know several colleges have ballroom dancing society but not sure if any of those three colleges have theirs or if they have a society of another type of dancing. But there's a few university dancing clubs/societies, so I'm sure you can enjoy it with them.
I'm an Irish dancer and I want to stay competing if I can😊 I know there's a university Irish dancing society but I guess I was just wondering is there any particular college that would have a greater percentage of sportspeople is all, or if that in any way makes a difference. Thank you so much!
I'm an Irish dancer and I want to stay competing if I can😊 I know there's a university Irish dancing society but I guess I was just wondering is there any particular college that would have a greater percentage of sportspeople is all, or if that in any way makes a difference. Thank you so much!

Well, that's quite niche....:tongue: I think it'd be better much to assume you'll be involved in the university society for dancing front rather trying to decide a choice of college on that basis. It's actually very nice to join an university club/society as it's a great opportunity to meet and mingle with people from other colleges. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)

For volleyball at uni level see page 136
http://issuu.com/camunisport/docs/full_yearbook_for_website_2015?e=8212170/13112582

And on 164 you can see Churchill, Tit Hall and John's all have uni-level players.

Also the main site here
http://cuvc.org/about.php

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
For volleyball at uni level see page 136
http://issuu.com/camunisport/docs/full_yearbook_for_website_2015?e=8212170/13112582

And on 164 you can see Churchill, Tit Hall and John's all have uni-level players.

Also the main site here
http://cuvc.org/about.php

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just happened to have one Blue in one year doesn't tell you anything about how a college is like in the sport.....
Original post by vincrows
Just happened to have one Blue in one year doesn't tell you anything about how a college is like in the sport.....

I didn't say it did - it shows show that all 3 colleges she was considering did have VB players at uni level last year. :wink:
Original post by jneill
I didn't say it did - it shows show that all 3 colleges she was considering did have VB players at uni level last year. :wink:

Not very useful info to choose a college anyway. :wink:

Original post by jneill

Not very useful info to choose a college anyway. :wink:

I misspoke in my last post, I meant to ask which college was generally more supportive to students who want to continue playing sport at a high level alongside their studies. Thanks for the advice!:smile:
I misspoke in my last post, I meant to ask which college was generally more supportive to students who want to continue playing sport at a high level alongside their studies. Thanks for the advice!:smile:

Any of them... :smile:
Reply 5196
Hi, was wondering if you think christ's has a good atmosphere?
Reply 5197
i am between queens', christ's, trinity and clare, what do you recommend (i like sport and not from UK if it may help)
Original post by Ch98
Hi, was wondering if you think christ's has a good atmosphere?

There isn't any college at Cambridge that doesn't claim they have a great atmosphere. And none of them is lying. :wink: so, yes, Christ's does have a good atmosphere as any other colleges. :wink:

Original post by Ch98
i am between queens', christ's, trinity and clare, what do you recommend (i like sport and not from UK if it may help)

All of those colleges have strength in some sports one way or another (just as any other medium/large-size colleges). Any sports in particulate you're interested in?
As for 'international student'-things, it's rumoured Trinity has a large number of students from China (esp. Mathmos) as they've been at the top of Tompkins Tables for years, have strong reputation in mathematics and are famous, though not sure if that'd be positive or negative for you. But they do get lots of tourists in the courts as they're very popular with them. (So is Queens to some extent because of its pretty Tudor buildings, but not as much as Trinity)

It'd depend how 'high' level you're talking about, but in general any college /department will expect you to put your study the utmost priority during the term -times. So you'll need a really good reason if your other activities get in your way of work schedules (like lectures/supervisions/practicals). They will NOT be understanding or accommodating if your academic standard slips because of your sports (or other activities). And that's their bottom line.
So if they think you're not performing as well as they think you can academically because of your other activities, they'll make sure you know they're not very happy about it. There's not much compromise there. (even if you're competing at the national level, and at Cambridge there're many who are)

In general, colleges do not officially support non-academic study activities of its students (apart from some cheering and congratulatory comments/articles on their website and FB/Twitter pages) and all university/college-level sports (or other clubs/societies) are entirely organized/run by students.

Though all colleges do have a few awards/scholarships that's related to sporting-achievements, that's usually as far as they 'officially' go in terms of 'supportive' and not much more than that. (Apart from there're always some DoS/fellows who make effort to go and watch his/her students' races/competitions to cheer and support them. :wink:)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending