The Student Room Group

I don't have a "previous or current employer" to put in the references section

This is for the Latham & Watkins open day, mind you. I've put in my academic referee, but I have no clue what to put under the "employer" section. I've never had a job.

The "previous or current employer" section is mandatory, so I can't just leave it blank.

Do I just put "NA" in all the fields?
Reply 1
I had to use a really old job. You must have had some sort of job at some point?
Original post by spier
I had to use a really old job. You must have had some sort of job at some point?

Nope. None.
Original post by HarvestingSeason
This is for the Latham & Watkins open day, mind you. I've put in my academic referee, but I have no clue what to put under the "employer" section. I've never had a job.

The "previous or current employer" section is mandatory, so I can't just leave it blank.

Do I just put "NA" in all the fields?

You might be best emailing grad rec and asking if they would be okay with using two academic references instead. Some employers are fine with that where it is a student who hasn't had any formal work experience yet.
Original post by LpoolLawStudent
You might be best emailing grad rec and asking if they would be okay with using two academic references instead. Some employers are fine with that where it is a student who hasn't had any formal work experience yet.

Meh, it's too late anyways. Deadline was yesterday and I submitted just before midnight. Just left it blank with "NA" in the fields. While I do think that would not pass in a TC application, it's not like they're going to care in a first year open day app...

Depends what falls in that category, but I think I can safely say that I don't have any concrete unpaid/informal work exp.
I've done two open days, I was a tutor in high school and I'm kinda involved with pro bono volunteering at uni (plus quite a few ECs that are even further from work experience than the aforementioned things). Those would be the only things that would even come close, but I'd still be reaching if I tried including this stuff as "work". Besides, even if I did, I wouldn't have anyone to add as a reference since it's all basically unsupervised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending