The Student Room Group

References renting a flat

Hi, l am looking to rent a flat during my internship period. The landlord then asked for my current landlord references and also a written evidence from my employer. As I am currently staying in student halls, I'm not sure if they will provide me with the references. How does the referencing works? Is it in a form of a letter or just contact number provided to the landlord to do credit checks?
As for the written evidence from employer, has anyone ever gave this to the landlord? I'm new to this and I'm just trying to do my internship and graduate without triggering my employer for my problem.
Original post by BelleBee
Hi, l am looking to rent a flat during my internship period. The landlord then asked for my current landlord references and also a written evidence from my employer. As I am currently staying in student halls, I'm not sure if they will provide me with the references. How does the referencing works? Is it in a form of a letter or just contact number provided to the landlord to do credit checks?
As for the written evidence from employer, has anyone ever gave this to the landlord? I'm new to this and I'm just trying to do my internship and graduate without triggering my employer for my problem.

Letting agent here, so I should be able to help :-)
For the previous landlord reference, often the onus will be on you to get in touch with you previous landlord/halls. Try and call up/email any point of contact you had with you uni halls and ask for a reference to be sent via email to you, which you can fwd onto the landlord. This should ideally contain whether or not you were tidy, left rooms in a good condition, and not being anti-social towards neighbours. I would also reccomend putting the contact details of the referee at the bottom of the reference, so the LL can call up and verify. If there is nobody at your uni halls who can help, explain this to the LL, and hopefully they will understand.

In terms of reference from your employer, get in touch with the hiring manager/HR team which you have had correspondence with. They are very used to providing references, and will be happy to do so. They will have a specific format/template, but most often it will contain when you internship starts, what the salary is, and when it ends. Again, often they will email this letter to you, and you can forward this onto the landlord. It is also good if you put down the referees contact details. It is quite unlikely that any landlord will call up and verify, but its always good to have those details at the bottow.
Is there anything else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending