The Student Room Group

Manchester / Glasgow / Edinburgh MSc

Hi, I have applied to these unis for my masters. MSc Financial Economics at Manchester and Glasgow and Economics and Finance at Edinburgh, but I am still undecided about which university to attend next year. Any advice on which university is more reputable or offers better economics/finance courses at masters level. Also, any advice on which university offers more career support looking to the future or more alumni networking opportunities. Thankyou
Reply 1
bump
Original post by jc9991
Hi, I have applied to these unis for my masters. MSc Financial Economics at Manchester and Glasgow and Economics and Finance at Edinburgh, but I am still undecided about which university to attend next year. Any advice on which university is more reputable or offers better economics/finance courses at masters level. Also, any advice on which university offers more career support looking to the future or more alumni networking opportunities. Thankyou

Can you tell us your background so we have a better idea on what would fit you best and what interests you the most?
Reply 3
Original post by BenRyan99
Can you tell us your background so we have a better idea on what would fit you best and what interests you the most?

Currently in my third year at The University of Sheffield studying Economics MSc. On track for a first. Interested in working in banking later on but first I am interested in completing a masters degree. I’m not interested in doing a phd afterwards so I am looking for something that could help get into banking whilst also doing it for my own reasons
Original post by jc9991
Currently in my third year at The University of Sheffield studying Economics MSc. On track for a first. Interested in working in banking later on but first I am interested in completing a masters degree. I’m not interested in doing a phd afterwards so I am looking for something that could help get into banking whilst also doing it for my own reasons

Apologies if I'm wrong but this screams of another case of a student that doesn't really know much about investment banking. What interests you about banking and which part of banking? Investment Banking (typically M&A, deals advisory, restructuring, ECM, DCM) or markets (equity research, sales, trading, structured products, portfolio management, quant)?

Investment Banking is not the same as working in an investment bank so which area are you most interested in? Or are you mainly attracted by the salary and perceived lifestyle?

On the university front, I assume you meant to write you were a third year on an economics BSc not an MSc. Work experience and internships are far more important than a master's degree as most roles just require a BA in any subject.

But if you want to do a Economics/Finance masters because you don't think you'll be able to get in due to going to an uncompetitive university, then I'll recommend some courses that will actually help you get in. You haven't stated what you're willing to spend so this is difficult.

You should definitely try and get on some courses like the finance related ones at Warwick, LSE, Imperial and UCL. These aren't too difficult to get on for a master's. Other than these I'd recommend the MSc Finance or quantitative finance at Manchester (not financial econ) and Cass business school. If you want to stick to Econ but can't afford the top unis then I'd recommend Nottingham and Edinburgh nomics for the MSc economics and econometrics.

Hopefully this was helpful and I genuinely hope you're not another one of these "I want to work in IB" people. I have my doubts though. Do you have any finance related internship experience because this will help a lot.

This comes from a current 3rd year Econ student at a UK top 5 university. Have done a few spring weeks and a summer analyst role at BB investment banks. This is all my opinion but I'd say I'm more informed than the average person.
Reply 5
Original post by BenRyan99
Apologies if I'm wrong but this screams of another case of a student that doesn't really know much about investment banking. What interests you about banking and which part of banking? Investment Banking (typically M&A, deals advisory, restructuring, ECM, DCM) or markets (equity research, sales, trading, structured products, portfolio management, quant)?

Investment Banking is not the same as working in an investment bank so which area are you most interested in? Or are you mainly attracted by the salary and perceived lifestyle?

On the university front, I assume you meant to write you were a third year on an economics BSc not an MSc. Work experience and internships are far more important than a master's degree as most roles just require a BA in any subject.

But if you want to do a Economics/Finance masters because you don't think you'll be able to get in due to going to an uncompetitive university, then I'll recommend some courses that will actually help you get in. You haven't stated what you're willing to spend so this is difficult.

You should definitely try and get on some courses like the finance related ones at Warwick, LSE, Imperial and UCL. These aren't too difficult to get on for a master's. Other than these I'd recommend the MSc Finance or quantitative finance at Manchester (not financial econ) and Cass business school. If you want to stick to Econ but can't afford the top unis then I'd recommend Nottingham and Edinburgh nomics for the MSc economics and econometrics.

Hopefully this was helpful and I genuinely hope you're not another one of these "I want to work in IB" people. I have my doubts though. Do you have any finance related internship experience because this will help a lot.

This comes from a current 3rd year Econ student at a UK top 5 university. Have done a few spring weeks and a summer analyst role at BB investment banks. This is all my opinion but I'd say I'm more informed than the average person.

No doubt your correct and you definitely know a lot more about me. Either M&A or trading interest me the most. Yes sorry I meant BSc was typing in a rush. I don’t necessarily think Sheffield is an uncompetitive uni, don’t get me wrong there are better ones but there are also lots worse. Possibly completing a masters degree at a more prestigious university would help me? But I also would just like to complete a masters course for myself as it’s just something I would like to do. I do feel like I could get onto some of those courses that you suggested at the top unis and my tutor recommended I applied however I’m not sure I would be able to afford those. I’ve applied for Edinburgh for the economics and finance MSc currently and that was a course that seemed to be very interesting to me. I don’t have any work experience or internships yet but I was planning on doing a summer internship in the summer after masters and then taking some time out following that. Thanks for your reply you seem to know your stuff
Original post by jc9991
No doubt your correct and you definitely know a lot more about me. Either M&A or trading interest me the most. Yes sorry I meant BSc was typing in a rush. I don’t necessarily think Sheffield is an uncompetitive uni, don’t get me wrong there are better ones but there are also lots worse. Possibly completing a masters degree at a more prestigious university would help me? But I also would just like to complete a masters course for myself as it’s just something I would like to do. I do feel like I could get onto some of those courses that you suggested at the top unis and my tutor recommended I applied however I’m not sure I would be able to afford those. I’ve applied for Edinburgh for the economics and finance MSc currently and that was a course that seemed to be very interesting to me. I don’t have any work experience or internships yet but I was planning on doing a summer internship in the summer after masters and then taking some time out following that. Thanks for your reply you seem to know your stuff

M&A and trading are opposite sides of finance (i.e. one is corporate finance and the other markets), seems a little odd that they're both the areas you're most interested in. Also probably a 'coincidence' they're the most famous finance roles........ Again, I'm finding it hard to shake the idea that you're more interested in the idea of finance and its perceived lifestyle than actual finance. Especially since you haven't done any internships to show your interest.

I was a bit confused by some of what you said in the sense that you can still do a master's at a top uni while doing the masters because you're interested in the content. Didn't realise those things were mutually exclusive. Maybe I'm wrong...

You're right that the courses are out of most people's price range. But if you can afford it, LSE and Warwick to a joint Economics and finance masters if you're interested.

I'd probably disagree with you on how you well you rank Sheffield. From my understanding from when I was applying to unis, you didn't even need a-level maths to get in which says a lot. My personal opinion is that only about the top 30 unis are worth going to to study Econ and Sheffield would be in that top 30. I don't think that necessarily makes it strong in Econ tho and I personally wouldn't rank it in the top 20. All my personal opinions tho.

Think your assumption that you'll be able to get an internship after a master's is maybe more difficult than it seems. Especially seeing as you'll have no work experience. Novel idea I know but have you thought about getting some work/internship experience before you do a master's. That way you can find out which area you're actually interested in instead of doing a master's without much knowledge of finance.
Why is this such a passive aggressive thread when the lad just wants some advice? Unneeded.
Original post by vflynn200
Why is this such a passive aggressive thread when the lad just wants some advice? Unneeded.

Yeah that's fair enough, I was in a pretty passive aggressive mood when writing it haha. Although I don't think what I said was necessarily wrong tho and I did give a fair bit of info. I maybe just get a little bit triggered by people who want to get into IB without knowing anything really about it, seems counter intuitive to me. I once had to listen to a fellow student talk for an hour at an assessment centre about how they were gonna be a quant at a hedge fund, despite them studying classics..... But yeah I could've phrased it better so my bad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending