The Student Room Group

Difficult to get a Cyber Security job

Hi,

I'm currently studying for an undergraduate cyber security degree in year 2. I recently attended a large company's recruitment fair and after having talked to the head of departments of various cyber related functions of that business, I understand that it is quite tough to get into cyber security profession because of fierce competition for the jobs. I was told by one of the top level managers that they normally look to hire people with strong technical skills even for the entry level positions along with a strong desire to learn and passion for the field.

It was quite disheartening to learn that after going through the course it does not prove the fact that the candidate is willing to learn or passionate about the field. Also, one of the people there mentioned that he was given job at the company as he knew someone at the company so they had to create a job for him and it was advertised just for him to get him in, which was quite shocking as the job didn't exist according to what he said and they took him on just because of his contact. Don't understand how some people can get jobs so easily while others just struggle and struggle with no end in sight.

It feels like there's no opportunities in this field for me as I contacted two managerial level people for work experience and they both never replied back. I applied for a year long internship which I have been rejected by the company and waiting to hear a reply back from another firm I applied for the internship, which would be another rejection most likely as there was only four positions with the firm and probably the whole faculty applied for it.

So there is no placements or internship and work experience opportunities for me and it seems like the chances to get employment in cyber especially without work experience are quite slim and bleak. i don't know who to speak to as university is absolutely worthless in helping to find employment/placements, no one seems to help me in this regard despite of getting good grades so far. It's getting more and more clearer that it's who you know and not what you know, which is a corrupt, unfair and bad practice. Absolutely regret going to university and putting myself through a lot of stress and debt, it seems like the whole system is for the few chosen ones and not for all..........just disappointed and depressed. I would never advise anyone to go to university as at the end of the day it all comes down to your contacts, just contacts and nothing else.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Quadraticfunctn
Hi,

I'm currently studying for an undergraduate cyber security degree in year 2. I recently attended a large company's recruitment fair and after having talked to the head of departments of various cyber related functions of that business, I understand that it is quite tough to get into cyber security profession because of fierce competition for the jobs. I was told by one of the top level managers that they normally look to hire people with strong technical skills even for the entry level positions along with a strong desire to learn and passion for the field.

It was quite disheartening to learn that after going through the course it does not prove the fact that the candidate is willing to learn or passionate about the field. Also, one of the people there mentioned that he was given job at the company as he knew someone at the company so they had to create a job for him and it was advertised just for him to get him in, which was quite shocking as the job didn't exist according to what he said and they took him on just because of his contact. Don't understand how some people can get jobs so easily while others just struggle and struggle with no end in sight.

It feels like there's no opportunities in this field for me as I contacted two managerial level people for work experience and they both never replied back. I applied for a year long internship which I have been rejected by the company and waiting to hear a reply back from another firm I applied for the internship, which would be another rejection most likely as there was only four positions with the firm and probably the whole faculty applied for it.

So there is no placements or internship and work experience opportunities for me and it seems like the chances to get employment in cyber especially without work experience are quite slim and bleak. i don't know who to speak to as university is absolutely worthless in helping to find employment/placements, no one seems to help me in this regard despite of getting good grades so far. It's getting more and more clearer that it's who you know and not what you know, which is a corrupt, unfair and bad practice. Absolutely regret going to university and putting myself through a lot of stress and debt, it seems like the whole system is for the few chosen ones and not for all..........just disappointed and depressed. I would never advise anyone to go to university as at the end of the day it all comes down to your contacts, just contacts and nothing else.

Hi mate. I just typed a long reply and then lost it as I wasn’t signed in! If this is still a concern and you want to discuss this please feel free to message me.
Reply 2
Hi,

Hi

I'm sorry that you feel like this. It hurts when you see opportunities go to others that you don't feel truly deserve it.

Generally cyber security is very difficult to break into at entry level. A lot of jobs seem to go to internal candidates. So it may be a case of having to do a job that you're not necessarily interested in , perhaps service desk or software, which may lead to a security role.
In my software developer role, I ended up working on a project that was basically auditing all the protective monitoring systems for GPG13. Plus security underpins all of our jobs.

I hope this helps
Hi,

Fairly sure the MoD and other gov departments have good things going for cybersecurity. I'm looking to study Maths & CompSci at uni and then move onto work in a government ministry, as my dad (who is a civil servant) said it's a good career.
Original post by DoNotMove
Fairly sure the MoD and other gov departments have good things going for cybersecurity. I'm looking to study Maths & CompSci at uni and then move onto work in a government ministry, as my dad (who is a civil servant) said it's a good career.

It's very hard to get into cyber as it's highly competitive, you need to have strong technical expertise, experience and passion to demonstrate before you are even considered. Sure there must be good jobs , but again it's about contacts to get through. Just look at LinkedIn, there's 200 odd applicants for literally every cyber related job. The whole myth of millions of unfilled jobs is just a lie to get these silly cyber courses enrolled. Lecturers have no experience of practical cyber work and haven't got a clue about any of the technical side of the things, they recently got a lecturer who didn't even know how to use basic office applications, didn't know how to do full screen on presentation application and she was teaching us cyber.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by oglez92
Hi

I'm sorry that you feel like this. It hurts when you see opportunities go to others that you don't feel truly deserve it.

Generally cyber security is very difficult to break into at entry level. A lot of jobs seem to go to internal candidates. So it may be a case of having to do a job that you're not necessarily interested in , perhaps service desk or software, which may lead to a security role.
In my software developer role, I ended up working on a project that was basically auditing all the protective monitoring systems for GPG13. Plus security underpins all of our jobs.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, I'm not even considering this field anymore, just doing a degree to get a cert and that's about it. It's tough to get even an entry level position in cyber as there's just way too many people and only handful jobs, which are given on contact basis. No matter what you know, there is only one way to get into some entry level job and that is through contacts. Not interested in a career which is just corrupt and unfair. Got good grades, but can't get through anywhere due to not having contacts. Just passing assignments to get a piece of paper.
Original post by JohnB1
Hi mate. I just typed a long reply and then lost it as I wasn’t signed in! If this is still a concern and you want to discuss this please feel free to message me.

Thanks for the reply, just given up on jobs in this field. Doing the degree to get a cert and will be doing the same part time work(unrelated to cyber) which I currently do at the moment. No point in wasting time over something which is impossible and full of morally corrupt people, what's the difference between a so called corrupt third world and a "civilised" society? Not much it seems like. Few jobs and too many over qualified people, bad job recruitment practices and overall unfair system.
Reply 7
I would suggest trying the government side of the business - GCHQ, MI - 5, MI - 6. I got into a closely related field this way, and later - after gaining about 12 yrs experience, 'went private', and turned myself into a contractor. This was done with a substantial increase in pay [37.5%]. Best of luck!!! It's a fascinating field.
Reply 8
I don't recognize SC/DV, but they involve a 'full life style polygraph', and the BI [background investigation] usually takes a year if you haven't moved around a lot.
Reply 9
Hi,

I did a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering & then (right out of uni), got a job with our local equivalent of MI-6 {GCHQ]. I spent about 20 years there [probably longer than i should have - based upon the low salary they paid, compared to what was offered on the private sector]. I then 'shopped my file' - as the expression goes - floated my resume' around the 'community' - and was offered [and accepted] a job at a private contractors at +37.5% increase on my government wage. Quite a number of my colleagues in the government did the same thing. Working for the government in this way is a great training ground - but the pay is dirt!

Over the course of my government career, i lived (for a longer or shorter time) in 14 countries, and enjoyed two ski trips (of 2 weeks duration each) that were 'partially supported by the government' . We got a 2 week vaccy, which included roundtrip air fare to Athens from our point of employment. If you didn't want to go to Athens {i don't know of anyone who did}, you could take the cash equivalent of the economy class ticket, and apply it to a ticket to where you DID want to go. I chose Switzerland one year, and Austria the next. After 2+ years at an overseas site, i returned to the states, and had enough in the bank to partially buy a house. I found the government employment on my CV to be very salable, particularly the overseas experience, and it undoubtedly increased the salary offers i received. I should think that something similar should work on your side of the pond with experience in either MI-5 or MI-6, altho your chances of an "overseas tour" would, of course be greater with 6. There are a number of 'joint' operations under a "CANUKUS" blanket, so you potentially could 'join up' on the Uk side, and then perhaps switch over to employment with a US firm - since your clearances would transfer - and go to work for McDonald - Douglas, or another US firm at considerably higher pay. Best of luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending