The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Hippokrates
I ranked 1000/ 2000 applicants. There are 1600 jobs and I want to work in the least competitive deanery.
Is it possible with my low ranking to get a job that allows me to commute from one location in Nottingham.

That's my idea too!
I believe notts and Leicester are two cities at which you can commute to and fro for both north and south east Midlands.
Original post by Jckc123
That's my idea too!
I believe notts and Leicester are two cities at which you can commute to and fro for both north and south east Midlands.

You do realise that you can’t apply for jobs including both Nottingham and Leicester? They are in different regions.
Reply 3
You do realise that you can’t apply for jobs including both Nottingham and Leicester? They are in different regions.

Yeah I know.
I meant that you can place your base area in either notts or Leicester for EM north or south and commute out if necessary.
Original post by Jckc123
Yeah I know.
I meant that you can place your base area in either notts or Leicester for EM north or south and commute out if necessary.

Oh I see. Well I’ve been in Nottingham for the last seven years and I would take an f3 year if I didn’t get a job that allowed me to stay.
Reply 5
Oh I see. Well I’ve been in Nottingham for the last seven years and I would take an f3 year if I didn’t get a job that allowed me to stay.

What do you mean a job that allowed you to stay?
F3 options are always there with trust grade and clinical fellow jobs
Original post by Jckc123
What do you mean a job that allowed you to stay?
F3 options are always there with trust grade and clinical fellow jobs

I mean that I’m looking to buy a house and if I don’t get an IMT job that will let me live in Nottingham I will do an F3 year.
Reply 7
I mean that I’m looking to buy a house and if I don’t get an IMT job that will let me live in Nottingham I will do an F3 year.

I see. Fair enough.
Fingers crossed.
All the best to you. :smile:
Original post by Jckc123
I see. Fair enough.
Fingers crossed.
All the best to you. :smile:

And you! You’ll be absolutely fine if you’re flexible with location
Reply 9
And you! You’ll be absolutely fine if you’re flexible with location

Thanks!
Yeah, that's one thing I have but I'm hoping to base at one city for three years at least. Haaaate moving so much.
Hi Hippokrates, Just wondering what you thought of the training and teaching in nottingham.Ideally would like to move there after living in Derby , but wasnt so sure about Kingsmill hospital or chesterfield.Do you know anything about how good oncology training is there at NUH? That my ultimate goal for Speciality training but not sure if I should pick a more rounded group of rotations or ones with oncology in them which dont have very great rotations paired with it.
Original post by Haribo28
Hi Hippokrates, Just wondering what you thought of the training and teaching in nottingham.Ideally would like to move there after living in Derby , but wasnt so sure about Kingsmill hospital or chesterfield.Do you know anything about how good oncology training is there at NUH? That my ultimate goal for Speciality training but not sure if I should pick a more rounded group of rotations or ones with oncology in them which dont have very great rotations paired with it.

I did my foundation training within NUH so can’t comment on the other hospitals to work in but my friends seem happy there. I think oncology at city is a little bit senior deficient on the ward but I assume it’s similar at all hospitals? I know my friends who did it in F1 had a lot of responsibility in oncology comapred to other medical specialties.
Reply 12
Got Derby for IMT, anyone else moving to Nottingham area?
Original post by chromni

Congrats, I did my F1 there and think its a great hospital (I'll be there but for ST1). If you've any questions about the hospital feel free to PM
Original post by chromni

Yup, got Nottingham.
Congrats!
Reply 15
Original post by ForestCat
Congrats, I did my F1 there and think its a great hospital (I'll be there but for ST1). If you've any questions about the hospital feel free to PM

Original post by Jckc123
Yup, got Nottingham.
Congrats!

Amazing, congrats to you guys too! Where do people tend to live in Nottingham? I’m brand new to the area. Does anyone know what kings mill hospital is like? I’ve got a year there too
Original post by chromni
Amazing, congrats to you guys too! Where do people tend to live in Nottingham? I’m brand new to the area. Does anyone know what kings mill hospital is like? I’ve got a year there too

I don't live in Notts so I'm not the best person to answer that I'm afraid. Not worked at Kings mill either
Original post by ForestCat
I don't live in Notts so I'm not the best person to answer that I'm afraid. Not worked at Kings mill either

where are you living now @ForestCat? derby or chesterfield area?
and where are you based for paeds?
haha apologies for the bombardment of questions
Original post by Jckc123
where are you living now @ForestCat? derby or chesterfield area?
and where are you based for paeds?
haha apologies for the bombardment of questions

Based in Derby now and will be for training. Currently commuting

Latest

Trending

Trending