The Student Room Group

ADHD

Hi All,

I am looking for a reputable place for an ADHD diagnosis, my disability officer has drawn my attention to the ADHD BBC panorama documentary https://youtu.be/BEklX-n1ibw?si=hnwXVtORkS7RkMkr so, l don't want any Dodgy places like ADHD 360. I'm based in the West Midlands if that helps.

Also can you tell me a bit about your experience with them e.g. how long they took to give diagnosis, whether you were diagnosed medication, was it on the NHS or privately.
Kind regards,
Nady
Hello! East Midlander here. I began seeking my ADHD diagnosis from the NHS through school at 14. I am now 18 and still have not received a diagnosis yet. I would absolutely NOT recommend NHS services for pursuing a diagnosis particularly if you aren't old enough for adult services but also arent a young child- or a female because they are statistically proven to be more often misdiagnosed or not seen as "having it bad enough" so to speak. If you can afford to access the diagnosis privately I would 1000% push you in that direction. If you must use the NHS you will need to be prepared for long waits, patronising GPs and a LOT of fighting your own corner.
Reply 2
Original post by oceann_psych
Hello! East Midlander here. I began seeking my ADHD diagnosis from the NHS through school at 14. I am now 18 and still have not received a diagnosis yet. I would absolutely NOT recommend NHS services for pursuing a diagnosis particularly if you aren't old enough for adult services but also arent a young child- or a female because they are statistically proven to be more often misdiagnosed or not seen as "having it bad enough" so to speak. If you can afford to access the diagnosis privately I would 1000% push you in that direction. If you must use the NHS you will need to be prepared for long waits, patronising GPs and a LOT of fighting your own corner.

Hi I am considering going private it will cost over £1000 in total😭. I am in uni and not eligible for student finance

Quick Reply

Latest