The Student Room Group

Opinions about GCSE mock results?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted some opinions about my mock grades from December 2019.

I got:

5 and 4 in English
5 in maths (got a 7 last time)
5-6 in Science (also got a 6-6) last time. Chemistry is really letting me down as I don’t get it at all.

7 in geography (predicted and received a 9 already)
6 in Computer Science
Art is a 3, but that I can’t do anything about as it’s coursework and my teacher has already said the grade will go up as I progress.
Thinking of dropping French (as I can do it but I somehow averaging 3 lol)

Are these good enough grades? I know I have a lot of hard work to do with science and maths as I’m aiming for 7s/8s. I’d like to be an architect so maths + science are really important. My sixth forms want 6s in whatever I’m studying at least.

Does anyone have any techniques, advice or notes they can advise me with pls? I’ve already read through a lot of forums on here and have followed the advice of downloading practice papers especially for maths.

My schools created a revision timetable for me so I already know pretty much what to revise. I don’t really like using flash cards but I’ve now excepted that I might have to use them with physics so I can learn the long list of formulas.

I have my first maths paper 1 mock tomorrow too, but I feel like I’m going to flop since I was ill during half term and got literally 0 revision through... any help is appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi!

This may be useful, to help my maths grade I went through a checklist of all the topics in maths and then went onto MathsGenie and CorbettMaths and printed the exam question of the topics I struggled on the most. Each day I would cover one or two topics and once a fortnight I would try and complete a maths paper as practice. This really helped me pick up my maths grade, in my last mock I went from a low 7 to a solid 8.

With science, Seneca really helps and I like creating mindmaps of what I already know for each topic before going back to a textbook and filling in any gaps. I also pester my teacher too much always asking them for exam question and get them to mark it and sit down with them if I am stuck on something.

In my recent mocks for English, I got a 5 and 6 (before it was 7 and 8) and it really helped to watch Mr Bruff and Mr Salles English and making notes.

Last tip! You may not be a morning person but waking up extra early and setting a routine and doing some revision before school is really helpful, as I feel like you are more productive in the morning than after school when you are knackered. And make sure you take regular study breaks, we don't want to burn ourselves out!

Hope this helps you and good luck tomorrow!! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
for english - look at mark schemes and examiner reports to see what examiners are looking for

maths - i used maths genie and it helps a lot

science - if freesciencelessons isn’t your holy grail then idk😂but also do topic questions and then exam style questions on the topic you are covering

i dont do geography or art

if you don’t mind me asking, how do you revise for computer science? the teacher i’ve had doesn’t teach at all and no one knows the content so any revision notes and/or tips would be nice if you can please

thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by mykhanhwright
Hi!

This may be useful, to help my maths grade I went through a checklist of all the topics in maths and then went onto MathsGenie and CorbettMaths and printed the exam question of the topics I struggled on the most. Each day I would cover one or two topics and once a fortnight I would try and complete a maths paper as practice. This really helped me pick up my maths grade, in my last mock I went from a low 7 to a solid 8.

Hope this helps!! :smile:

Thank u :wink:

Where did you get this checklist (your talking about) from? I use hegartyMaths!
Original post by coolboy37
Thank u :wink:

Where did you get this checklist (your talking about) from? I use hegartyMaths!

I've attached a pdf of the checklist for Maths Edexcel Higher.
Reply 5
Original post by spacingoutagainx
for english - look at mark schemes and examiner reports to see what examiners are looking for

maths - i used maths genie and it helps a lot

science - if freesciencelessons isn’t your holy grail then idk😂but also do topic questions and then exam style questions on the topic you are covering

i dont do geography or art

if you don’t mind me asking, how do you revise for computer science? the teacher i’ve had doesn’t teach at all and no one knows the content so any revision notes and/or tips would be nice if you can please

thank you!

Thanks I’ll try mathsgenie. My teacher has given me plenty of past papers so no problems there.

Science- I don’t use online stuff (I use more textbooks + revision guides) but I really need to try freesciencelessons as everyone seems to be recommending

My teacher gives us a lot of past papers and/or makes us watch his YouTube channel where he explains so much in large detail. He’s called MrLauLearning... he’s a great teacher and guy!
Original post by coolboy37
Thanks I’ll try mathsgenie. My teacher has given me plenty of past papers so no problems there.

Science- I don’t use online stuff (I use more textbooks + revision guides) but I really need to try freesciencelessons as everyone seems to be recommending

My teacher gives us a lot of past papers and/or makes us watch his YouTube channel where he explains so much in large detail. He’s called MrLauLearning... he’s a great teacher and guy!

thank youu!
Reply 7
You can use Computer Science Tutor for any exam board that you are on. In addition, you can use Seneca Learning to learn any new content that you have. Just make sure to start early as the GCSEs are coming soon.Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest