The Student Room Group

Courtauld, UCL or UAL

Hi Guys, I'm a French student and I have applied for a BA history of art at a the Courtauld, UCL (combined with philosophy) and for a Curation culture and criticism at UAL. I received an offer from all of them, but I don't know which one to choose !!! Please help...
Original post by imrahile
Hi Guys, I'm a French student and I have applied for a BA history of art at a the Courtauld, UCL (combined with philosophy) and for a Curation culture and criticism at UAL. I received an offer from all of them, but I don't know which one to choose !!! Please help...

Well done on the offers!! I bet you're chuffed! When it comes to choosing which uni you actually want to spend the next few years of your life at, it is best to visit them and see how they feel to you, what their vibe is and so you can get a vision of what your life will be like for a section of the future. Obviously, if you are in France visiting may be hard so I recommend reading up about past student experiences, getting an online open day or virtual tour, or even just looking at as many pictures as you can of the buildings and the area, because both are in London and their areas (depending on the college) are very different. If you have been to the unis then think about which one you see yourself at the most. Because you have chosen different courses in each place also take this into account, is there one course you like the sound of more than the others? Do your choices have any entry requirements that sound better to meet than the others?

If you have already thought about these, then I can offer a little bit of personal insight! I have not visited Courtauld and so cannot speak on that part, but I have visited both UAL and UCL for Fine Art open days. In comparison (at least in regards to Fine Art), I found UCL had a stronger academic focus, with more essay content on the courses. I preferred it over UAL because of this, and also because at UCL you will study among a wide range of students from all disciplines on the same general campus. However, as UAL is an art-based university, you will be surrounded pretty much only by students of Art, in one sense or another. Now in the thought of spending 4 years with these people, I couldn't stand the idea of only interacting with art students because I love diversity and having a wide range of influence, yet if you better enjoy the company of only creatives, UAL may offer more of the environment you like. Do you prefer a wider university feel being surrounded by all subjects or being in a totally creative community? Keep asking yourself about every detail of how your life will be in each place, and hopefully one of your choices will begin to stand out.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by chloepascale
Well done on the offers!! I bet you're chuffed! When it comes to choosing which uni you actually want to spend the next few years of your life at, it is best to visit them and see how they feel to you, what their vibe is and so you can get a vision of what your life will be like for a section of the future. Obviously, if you are in France visiting may be hard so I recommend reading up about past student experiences, getting an online open day or virtual tour, or even just looking at as many pictures as you can of the buildings and the area, because both are in London and their areas (depending on the college) are very different. If you have been to the unis then think about which one you see yourself at the most. Because you have chosen different courses in each place also take this into account, is there one course you like the sound of more than the others? Do your choices have any entry requirements that sound better to meet than the others?

If you have already thought about these, then I can offer a little bit of personal insight! I have not visited Courtauld and so cannot speak on that part, but I have visited both UAL and UCL for Fine Art open days. In comparison (at least in regards to Fine Art), I found UCL had a stronger academic focus, with more essay content on the courses. I preferred it over UAL because of this, and also because at UCL you will study among a wide range of students from all disciplines on the same general campus. However, as UAL is an art-based university, you will be surrounded pretty much only by students of Art, in one sense or another. Now in the thought of spending 4 years with these people, I couldn't stand the idea of only interacting with art students because I love diversity and having a wide range of influence, yet if you better enjoy the company of only creatives, UAL may offer more of the environment you like. Do you prefer a wider university feel being surrounded by all subjects or being in a totally creative community? Keep asking yourself about every detail of how your life will be in each place, and hopefully one of your choices will begin to stand out.

Good luck!

Thank you a lot for your answer!! really nice of you
Im coming to London in a few days to visit the unis so I can have proper information before I decide in which one im gonna go. The combined honors degree at ucl is the one that appeals to me the most because it seems like it is the most essay based and opens a broad range of careers.
Ur insight is really useful to be because I also believe that being surrounded by people with different interests than mines is very beneficial.
I will keep asking myself those questions.
Thank you again for your help, truly!!
Hey! I‘m having the exact same dilemma for the exact same courses haha. What uni did you end up choosint and why? I‘m rly struggling think I‘ve narrowed it down to ucl or csm
Reply 4
Original post by lucyachhorner
Hey! I‘m having the exact same dilemma for the exact same courses haha. What uni did you end up choosint and why? I‘m rly struggling think I‘ve narrowed it down to ucl or csm

Hey!!! Well actually Ive chosen csm because I think the courtauld is too small and ucl is wayyyy too big for a foreigner like me.. Plus, I don't think that ill be able to follow a combined honors degree (philosophy and history of art at ucl)... Moreover I really think that UAL is such a modern uni, the facilities are incredible, the support looks amazing... I don't know how to explain it.. The BA CCC looks more interesting for me rather than just studying art history on its own
Hey!!! Well actually Ive chosen csm because I think the courtauld is too small and ucl is wayyyy too big for a foreigner like me.. Plus, I don't think that ill be able to follow a combined honors degree (philosophy and history of art at ucl)... Moreover I really think that UAL is such a modern uni, the facilities are incredible, the support looks amazing... I don't know how to explain it.. The BA CCC looks more interesting for me rather than just studying art history on its own

Hello @imrahile,

Lovely to hear that you've chosen to study with us! CCC is such a unique course in the UK, and we've been teaching it for over 15 years. CSM is such an exciting atmosphere to be in with amazing galleries and archives to work with during the course. I hope you enjoy it :smile:

All the best,
Mike
Student Recruitment Officer
Reply 6

Hey congratulations! I hope that no matter which one you have chosen, you are enjoying it! I am applying to study BA history of art at UCL this year. I don't know whether you still remember what UCL's art history written exercise for selection is like? How did you prepare for it? Please let me know. Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply