The Student Room Group

Uni Overall reputation rankings 2020

Kinda useless and so subjective, but wanna stir up a debate and see what other people think lmao. This is just what I think employers/academics would regard certain institutions as a "whole" and just what people think in general.

So here's my list:

TIER 1:

Oxbridge

TIER 2:

UCL, LSE, ICL, Durham

TIER 2.5:

KCL, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester (Mainly International Rep), St. Andrews (Royals went there).

TIER 3:

Bath, Notts, York, Bham, Exeter, Glasgow, Sheffield, Southampton, Leeds, Newcastle (ish), Lancaster (ish)

TIER 4:

Liverpool, Cardiff, Lboro, Surrey, Sussex, Leicester, RHUL, Reading, Queens, QMUL, UEA, SOAS, Strathclyde.

TIER 5:

Aberdeen, City, Kent, Essex, Swansea, Aberystwyth.

Then just all the others below.

What you think?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Dont really bother with university rankings. Better to look at university on a subject by subject basis.
For example SOAS is arguably better than Oxbridge when it comes to languages yet you have it as t4.

Oxbridge might well be better overall when you look at all the departments as a whole but as a student your probably only going to be using one department so just filter University rankings by subject/department.

Edit: suspect troll as it's your first post... And these type of posts trigger people.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by adam271
Dont really bother with university rankings. Better to look at university on a subject by subject basis.
For example SOAS is arguably better than Oxbridge when it comes to languages yet you have it as t4.

Oxbridge might well be better overall when you look at all the departments as a whole but as a student your probably only going to be using one department so just filter University rankings by subject/department.

Edit: suspect troll as it's your first post... And these type of posts trigger people.

Honestly I was just wondering what people's thoughts on it were, no intent to troll or anything ahah. I don't ask questions on TSR like ever, so thats why its my first post!
Original post by aa1o
Kinda useless and so subjective, but wanna stir up a debate and see what other people think lmao. This is just what I think employers/academics would regard certain institutions as a "whole".

So here's my list:

TIER 1:

Oxbridge

TIER 2:

UCL, LSE, ICL, Durham

TIER 2.5:

KCL, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester (Mainly International Rep), St. Andrews (Royals went there).

TIER 3:

Bath, Notts, York, Bham, Exeter, Glasgow, Sheffield, Southampton, Leeds, Newcastle (ish), Lancaster (ish)

TIER 4:

Liverpool, Cardiff, Lboro, Surrey, Sussex, Leicester, RHUL, Reading, Queens, QMUL, UEA, SOAS, Strathclyde.

TIER 5:

What you think?

There are rankings that actually show what a academics and employers think. Why are you making up your own ranking and pretending that your opinion reflects those rankings?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
There are rankings that actually show what a academics and employers think. Why are you making up your own ranking and pretending that your opinion reflects those rankings?

Everyone keeps saying they have flaws in their methodology which they obviously do, so I was just wondering what people generally thought as well, and how they would order the unis.
Original post by aa1o
Everyone keeps saying they have flaws in their methodology which they obviously do, so I was just wondering what people generally thought as well, and how they would order the unis.

The High Fliers annual ranking shows (UK) employer opinion.

The QS lets you sort by academic and (international) employer ranking.

Asking other sixth form and university students for their rankings won’t give you any insight into the opinions of academics or employers.
Hey!

I'm Charlie one of Lancaster University's student ambassadors. I'm currently in my 2nd year of a degree in Finance & Economics.

I just wanted to introduce myself - if anyone has any questions about courses or student life at Lancaster please let me know!

Charlie
Original post by aa1o
Kinda useless and so subjective, but wanna stir up a debate and see what other people think lmao. This is just what I think employers/academics would regard certain institutions as a "whole" and just what people think in general.

So here's my list:

TIER 1:

Oxbridge

TIER 2:

UCL, LSE, ICL, Durham

TIER 2.5:

TIER 3:

TIER 4:

TIER 5:

What you think?

It'll probably depend on the course and what jobs you apply for after graduating. But I would've guessed that Aberdeen had a much better reputation than Strathclyde.
Reply 8
id say its fairly accurate, maybe bump swansea up to tier 4 and put dundee and heriott watt into tier 5. I would say Aberdeen would be in tier 5. In the majority of departments (engineering, business, science, excluding health science) strathclyde would be better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending