The Student Room Group

What should I do about Physics A level?

I'm in year 13 and I just did my final mocks before the real thing. I do 3 A levels in Physics bio and chem. Whenever mock week comes I end up revising alot for physics and like a month before the mocks only ever focus on physics because its my weakest subject and tend to ignore subjects like biology and only revise for it for an hour before the mock exam. Eventhough I spend alot of time revising physics I only ever get grades like c+ no matter how hard I try. I have never gotten more than 60% in any physics exam.When I was doing paper 3 my last mock for physics I couldn't even answer one question fully and I am 100% certain I failed that exam. In the real thing I don't think I can compete with our students I feel like physics will drag down my other subjects too. I don't know what to do . I am taking a gap year so I was thinking I can just do physics in that year but what will Unis say and will my teachers let me I feel like it's too late Also If I decide to do physics this summer and if I get a bad grade I cant just resist because my top unis won't accept resits. All year I've been depressed because of physics my teachers don't really care they just give us past paper questions and whenever I ask for help they give me the briefest guidance . I used to enjoy physics and I feel like taking it next year will allow me to study it in more detail . I hate teachers that make lessons boring . I just need some advice I think I am just going to talk to the appropriate teachers about it . I always wanted to drop physics but I just thought year 2 would be better and the teachers would be more supportive . I feel like my teachers expect alot from me but I just cant fo it eith physics . I have no motivation anymore it doesn't matter how much I revise I always get a c+ and unfortunately that's not good enough for the course I want to do in uni. Please anyone help....
Original post by safia.2002
I'm in year 13 and I just did my final mocks before the real thing. I do 3 A levels in Physics bio and chem. Whenever mock week comes I end up revising alot for physics and like a month before the mocks only ever focus on physics because its my weakest subject and tend to ignore subjects like biology and only revise for it for an hour before the mock exam. Eventhough I spend alot of time revising physics I only ever get grades like c+ no matter how hard I try. I have never gotten more than 60% in any physics exam.When I was doing paper 3 my last mock for physics I couldn't even answer one question fully and I am 100% certain I failed that exam. In the real thing I don't think I can compete with our students I feel like physics will drag down my other subjects too. I don't know what to do . I am taking a gap year so I was thinking I can just do physics in that year but what will Unis say and will my teachers let me I feel like it's too late Also If I decide to do physics this summer and if I get a bad grade I cant just resist because my top unis won't accept resits. All year I've been depressed because of physics my teachers don't really care they just give us past paper questions and whenever I ask for help they give me the briefest guidance . I used to enjoy physics and I feel like taking it next year will allow me to study it in more detail . I hate teachers that make lessons boring . I just need some advice I think I am just going to talk to the appropriate teachers about it . I always wanted to drop physics but I just thought year 2 would be better and the teachers would be more supportive . I feel like my teachers expect alot from me but I just cant fo it eith physics . I have no motivation anymore it doesn't matter how much I revise I always get a c+ and unfortunately that's not good enough for the course I want to do in uni. Please anyone help....

Have you considered trying to find a good tutor: in person tutoring, not online. Sometimes a good one can make a big difference.
Original post by David Getling
Have you considered trying to find a good tutor: in person tutoring, not online. Sometimes a good one can make a big difference.

£20 per hour I dont think I can.
£20 per hour I dont think I can.

Unfortunately you are right. Anyone tutoring for this is very likely to be very poor. As the old saying goes: you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If you don't live in the London area you might get a good one for £30, especially if you are prepared to travel to them. Until recently I used to charge this, and in fact my only reason for upping my rate was because with almost everyone charging quite a bit more I was worried that people would think I was the monkey.
Unfortunately you are right. Anyone tutoring for this is very likely to be very poor. As the old saying goes: you pay peanuts you get monkeys. If you don't live in the London area you might get a good one for £30, especially if you are prepared to travel to them. Until recently I used to charge this, and in fact my only reason for upping my rate was because with almost everyone charging quite a bit more I was worried that people would think I was the monkey.

I know someone who does it for £20 and this is in the Birmingham area . But they aren't very good . I believe that it doesn't matter how much money you invest in education .Truth is I have no way to cover the costs of tutoring because my parents think that since my siblings are high achievers and they've managed to get high grades without tutoring I should be able to do so also .At the start of my GCSEs I really needed a tutor but my parents said no . Since I came out with relatively high grades at the end I think that my parents also expect this to happen with A levels . But thanks for the suggestion.
I know someone who does it for £20 and this is in the Birmingham area . But they aren't very good . I believe that it doesn't matter how much money you invest in education .Truth is I have no way to cover the costs of tutoring because my parents think that since my siblings are high achievers and they've managed to get high grades without tutoring I should be able to do so also .At the start of my GCSEs I really needed a tutor but my parents said no . Since I came out with relatively high grades at the end I think that my parents also expect this to happen with A levels . But thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sorry to hear that. The truth of the matter is there's no particular type of student or parent that uses or doesn't use tuition. I've had parents who struggle to find the tuition fees, and others for whom the money is just loose change: even the odd millionaire. I've had students who are incredibly bright and others who really struggle. Likewise, there's no particular type of school. I've had students from some pretty poor schools, but I've even tutored a lad from Eton (honestly).

I wish you the best, and hope you find a way to work things out.
I'm sorry to hear that. The truth of the matter is there's no particular type of student or parent that uses or doesn't use tuition. I've had parents who struggle to find the tuition fees, and others for whom the money is just loose change: even the odd millionaire. I've had students who are incredibly bright and others who really struggle. Likewise, there's no particular type of school. I've had students from some pretty poor schools, but I've even tutored a lad from Eton (honestly).

I wish you the best, and hope you find a way to work things out.

Thanks alot for the help. I think im just going to give it my best since my teachers told me I couldnt drop it this year.I will give it my best shot and equally spread my revision between my subjects.Thanks again and Good luck with whatever you want in life :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest