The Student Room Group

The effect of the coronavirus on exams

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS and Government web-pages.

If schools were shut due to a coronavirus outbreak (not saying that will definitely happen but if it did) what would happen with exams? I mean like A level and GCSE exams, A levels in particular because it's obviously relevant to universities as well. I mean if schools were to be closed for a month then that's a significant amount of time that was supposed to be spent studying for A levels that you've missed. Does anyone have any ideas what would be done realistically about that? It's just a thought that occurred to me and I was curious
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aishokthen
If schools were shut due to a coronavirus outbreak (not saying that will definitely happen but if it did) what would happen with exams? I mean like A level and GCSE exams, A levels in particular because it's obviously relevant to universities as well. I mean if schools were to be closed for a month then that's a significant amount of time that was supposed to be spent studying for A levels that you've missed. Does anyone have any ideas what would be done realistically about that? It's just a thought that occurred to me and I was curious

Always wondered that too. I’m still unsure
I was thinking about this , and our teachers were probably email us work everyday , if your responsible and care about your a levels then you should just do the work if you don’t then your just shooting yourself in the foot
Reply 3
Everything would be pushed back.
So university may take students in November instead of September to account for the delaying of exams.

I do not think this will happen at the moment though.
Not least because there are ways to mitgate the risk by making students wear masks/gloves for exams. (Doubt it would even come to this though).
Original post by adam271
Everything would be pushed back.
So university may take students in November instead of September to account for the delaying of exams.

I do not think this will happen at the moment though.
Not least because there are ways to mitgate the risk by making students wear masks/gloves for exams. (Doubt it would even come to this though).

The masks make the outbreak worse comrade. They don’t help in fact they concentrate it. People advised explicitly not to wear masks.
even if you subsidise the risk with masks etc and hand sanitizers, this virus is extremely contagious and is technically now a pandemic, the rate at which it is spreading makes it an inevitability that schools will temporarily shut down .
(edited 4 years ago)
at our school, we've been told that if schools shut now for 2 months (which is what has been said by the health office) then we will get our UCAS predicted grades
they can't expect students to sit exams when the content hasn't been finished
Original post by Melissa1235
I was thinking about this , and our teachers were probably email us work everyday , if your responsible and care about your a levels then you should just do the work if you don’t then your just shooting yourself in the foot

True, yeah
But then again, I doubt it will get to that stage at all tbh
Reply 9
Original post by HurtOnAllLevels
The masks make the outbreak worse comrade. They don’t help in fact they concentrate it. People advised explicitly not to wear masks.

What's your definition of not working?
They catch droplets which are one of the main ways the virus spreads. It's not 100% protection but they do provide some protection.

"Wearing a face mask is not an iron clad guarantee that you won’t get sick viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can still penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is the main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly five-fold protection versus no barrier. If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re just walking around town and not in close contact with others, wearing a mask is unlikely to make any difference."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/02/worse-than-the-flu-busting-the-coronavirus-myths-face-masks-vaccine-covid-19
This really shouldn't be stressing me out as much as it is.
Original post by adam271
What's your definition of not working?
They catch droplets which are one of the main ways the virus spreads. It's not 100% protection but they do provide some protection.

"Wearing a face mask is not an iron clad guarantee that you won’t get sick viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can still penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is the main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly five-fold protection versus no barrier. If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re just walking around town and not in close contact with others, wearing a mask is unlikely to make any difference."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/02/worse-than-the-flu-busting-the-coronavirus-myths-face-masks-vaccine-covid-19

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/02/29/no-you-do-not-need-face-masks-for-coronavirus-they-might-increase-your-infection-risk

Because Mr Stalin lots of people are utilising them “incorrectly”. When people don’t know how to use something, in an emergency situation it can be worse than than not having it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Law-yer
This really shouldn't be stressing me out as much as it is.

It shouldnt be stressing you out at all.
Focus on your studies.
If alternatives are made, then everyone will be treated the same.
I dont see why it would affect exams, even if it affected regular school.
Original post by aishokthen

The ministry of health where I’m from just confirmed we’ve got no school for an entire month now. It’s a really small country and there’s about 60 cases (rising by 10-20 everyday). I’m really stressed out because I’m currently doing AS Levels and haven’t finished content for two of my subjects PLUS the only thing teachers can do is set assignments (past papers) for us to do which they can’t mark. Any advice?
Original post by 999tigger
It shouldnt be stressing you out at all.
Focus on your studies.
If alternatives are made, then everyone will be treated the same.
I dont see why it would affect exams, even if it affected regular school.

Thank you for reassuring me, I will try to calm down. It's just a little stressful, especially because all the people in social media groups are sending material on how to stay safe and the news coverage just makes everything seem daunting.
Original post by retajalshafeii
The ministry of health where I’m from just confirmed we’ve got no school for an entire month now. It’s a really small country and there’s about 60 cases (rising by 10-20 everyday). I’m really stressed out because I’m currently doing AS Levels and haven’t finished content for two of my subjects PLUS the only thing teachers can do is set assignments (past papers) for us to do which they can’t mark. Any advice?

Which country are you from, if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 16
I think you get your ucas predicted grades x
Original post by Law-yer
Thank you for reassuring me, I will try to calm down. It's just a little stressful, especially because all the people in social media groups are sending material on how to stay safe and the news coverage just makes everything seem daunting.

I would write a post if I could be bothered, but essentially everyone will be treated the same, so you wont suffer a disadvantage and uni will go on. If you think about it the proximity of people in exams is nothing like a concert or general crowd. Exam period means you are around others much less than school. Worrying only costs you marks and its beyond your control, focus on your exams its as simple as that. One of the worst things students can do is listen to other students.
Reply 18
If the schools close will universities also close anyway?
Original post by HurtOnAllLevels
The masks don’t work firstly. Secondly it is not actually that contagious as diseases goes (shame would love to see neoliberalism brought to its knees).

Hopefully a more aggressive strain picks up. Believe you me I hate the existing economic system as much as anyone.

Firstly it is contagious as the virus can be transferred via touch and it is airborne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending