The Student Room Group

Has anyone heard back from the BBC about the 2020 Production Apprenticeships?

Scroll to see replies

Not yet. My very limited experience of the BBC has taught me that we should probably double any deadline they give us. A month always turns into two!
Reply 21
nope, emailed them though
Reply 22
Original post by xCaHx
nope, emailed them though

If u hear anything it would be great to know :smile: I'm just hoping that they haven't chosen yet
Reply 23
the response:

Hi x,

Thanks for your email and hope you are keeping well.

Unfortunately at this time we are unable to provide a definite day you'll hear back with an update. However, we hope to get this out to you ASAP.

As I'm sure you will be aware and can understand, this situation has impacted the BBC tremendously and our Resourcing team is working very hard to keep business as usual and adapt to social distancing measures (such as virtual interviews).

We will do our best to keep you updated on what this means for your application and throughout the recruitment process every step of the way but I'd like to apologise in advance as we battle through delays and slower replies than usual.

Remember that your email inbox might not recognise us! While waiting to hear back, please check your junk folder and spam settings so that nothing important ends up there by accident.

Thanks for your patience.
Resourcing and Talent

Looks like the scheme is still happening :smile: this is for digital journalism but i'm guessing it's the same for production
No same here had video interview
Has anyone heard anything?
Still nothing, but it's strange times right now so we can't complain too much. That said, I don't really know what the hold up is and the lack of communication from the BBC is very disappointing. It really doesn't take more than five minutes to give us a weekly email to keep us updated, but there's been nothing. Especially as we're starting to approach the time where some of us need to make decisions about our future plans. I have a job interview on Monday for something I'd be quite happy doing as a career, and I'll hear the outcome from that by the beginning of July. While I'd much prefer to work for the BBC, I'm not going to pass up a job offer in this economy if one happens to come my way.

We shouldn't have to beg for the most basic of updates!!!
Reply 27
I've received an email from the BBC about it... Looks like they are pausing the recruitment process :'(
Original post by Ix3e
I've received an email from the BBC about it... Looks like they are pausing the recruitment process :'(

This isn't good news. I hope that the BBC finds a way to recruit for their apprentice scheme. For me it's a goal I've had for years and years now and I'm truly upset that the BBC is going to cancel this entire year and start again next year. Covid is rapidly creating a lost year of young people who were unlucky enough to finish school or university around this time, and many of our opportunities have suddenly disappeared. These opportunities won't come along again until next year and we'll be overlooked because there's another group of thousands of young people behind us who want exactly the same chances. Fate has ripped our dreams to pieces but we can't complain because it's a global health crisis and there's many people out there who have been pushed into poverty or who have lost loved ones. Moaning about a BBC apprenticeship being taken away is nothing compared to that, but in the same way it's everything for us. This is our future. And now it's gone.

I doubt the BBC is reading this but if they are I really can't say strongly enough how important it is for this apprenticeship to go forward. I don't care what you need to do to hire us. Pick from the video interviews we've already done. Give us fifteen minutes with somebody to interview us using Zoom. Please don't toss us into the dump like we're useless to you because the students finishing school or university or college this summer are going to be brutally disadvantaged in lifechanging ways. Especially those going into creative industries that have suddenly shut down. I honestly can't see that the apprenticeship scheme is costly to run other than the college side which might be hard with social distancing. So why not hire into junior positions that have no college? Get a group of us in to just work and help out and give us the opportunity to show that we've got something valuable to offer. It doesn't have to be an apprenticeship. We could easily work as runners or assistants or anything. Just don't throw us in the bin after all the work we've put in over the past few years getting to this point.
Reply 29
Original post by lostcohort
This isn't good news. I hope that the BBC finds a way to recruit for their apprentice scheme. For me it's a goal I've had for years and years now and I'm truly upset that the BBC is going to cancel this entire year and start again next year. Covid is rapidly creating a lost year of young people who were unlucky enough to finish school or university around this time, and many of our opportunities have suddenly disappeared. These opportunities won't come along again until next year and we'll be overlooked because there's another group of thousands of young people behind us who want exactly the same chances. Fate has ripped our dreams to pieces but we can't complain because it's a global health crisis and there's many people out there who have been pushed into poverty or who have lost loved ones. Moaning about a BBC apprenticeship being taken away is nothing compared to that, but in the same way it's everything for us. This is our future. And now it's gone.

I doubt the BBC is reading this but if they are I really can't say strongly enough how important it is for this apprenticeship to go forward. I don't care what you need to do to hire us. Pick from the video interviews we've already done. Give us fifteen minutes with somebody to interview us using Zoom. Please don't toss us into the dump like we're useless to you because the students finishing school or university or college this summer are going to be brutally disadvantaged in lifechanging ways. Especially those going into creative industries that have suddenly shut down. I honestly can't see that the apprenticeship scheme is costly to run other than the college side which might be hard with social distancing. So why not hire into junior positions that have no college? Get a group of us in to just work and help out and give us the opportunity to show that we've got something valuable to offer. It doesn't have to be an apprenticeship. We could easily work as runners or assistants or anything. Just don't throw us in the bin after all the work we've put in over the past few years getting to this point.

Sames I agree with everything you have said. I really want them to go ahead with it and I'm praying the BBC will find a way around it❤️
Reply 30
Things are looking up, now, so I really hope that they resume the recruitment process
Fully agree, things are starting to get better now and fingers crossed will keep getting better. If thats the case tv/film/radio production should be able to pick up again and if thats the case they will need apprentices to help out. We are here, ready, waiting and willing. Give us a chance please!
Original post by annafoley3

Not a thing. I don't think an update is really too much to ask, especially now that we're approaching the time when some of us need to start making firm plans for uni and might want some closure on this. There isn't anything on the @bbcgetin Twitter page either, despite them having plenty of time to make and post silly videos. That is now more like @bbcgetlost rather than @bbcgetin. This is a massive disappointment. They might hire the best creatives out there but they seem to hire the worst human resources staff in the business!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 34
honestly seems so unlikely that it'll happen, doesn't it? while i never expected to get a place on the apprenticeship i thought it would be really fun to just do the interview, you know what i mean? clearing is nearing now and i've settled on going for uni i think :smile: i wish everyone the best of luck with your future
Yes good luck .
I hope as restrictions are lifting there maybe some news ?
Reply 36
Wish they would give us updates as I really want to know wuts going on am curious lols but then again they need to be able to tell us the full story so I don't mind waiting I just think the more we wait the better chance as if they got back to soon its likely it might not go ahead this way they are still giving it a chance. And things are improving so heads up people it's looking good I hope 😊❤️
Original post by Ix3e
Wish they would give us updates as I really want to know wuts going on am curious lols but then again they need to be able to tell us the full story so I don't mind waiting I just think the more we wait the better chance as if they got back to soon its likely it might not go ahead this way they are still giving it a chance. And things are improving so heads up people it's looking good I hope 😊❤️

My BF was fuloughed and his employer gave him weekly updates each Friday afternoon. Even though there was not much info other than "more waiting sorry" and "we don't know yet" it was still better than silence. They really do need to give us an update soon because it's been ages. I know they're probably thinking "oh don't worry about those people because it's not like they have anything else better to be getting on with during the lockdown" but some of us really do have other things going on. Some are deciding on university. Some are looking at opportunities in other areas of the industry that are starting to pick up again. Some are deciding that media is far too unstable for any kind of long term career and are rethinking their plans. The more we're left out here to sit and wait, the more the highly motivated ones will be searching for things outside the BBC.

Come on BBC, an update is much needed. At the very least we need to be told whether the scheme is cancelled for this year or whether you're starting to think about interviewing us. We don't need dates or details if you don't have them. I can't believe that nobody inside BBC HR knows what's happening though in a very broad sense!!!
Reply 38
Original post by lostcohort
My BF was fuloughed and his employer gave him weekly updates each Friday afternoon. Even though there was not much info other than "more waiting sorry" and "we don't know yet" it was still better than silence. They really do need to give us an update soon because it's been ages. I know they're probably thinking "oh don't worry about those people because it's not like they have anything else better to be getting on with during the lockdown" but some of us really do have other things going on. Some are deciding on university. Some are looking at opportunities in other areas of the industry that are starting to pick up again. Some are deciding that media is far too unstable for any kind of long term career and are rethinking their plans. The more we're left out here to sit and wait, the more the highly motivated ones will be searching for things outside the BBC.

Come on BBC, an update is much needed. At the very least we need to be told whether the scheme is cancelled for this year or whether you're starting to think about interviewing us. We don't need dates or details if you don't have them. I can't believe that nobody inside BBC HR knows what's happening though in a very broad sense!!!

soooooo true.
Sad news. Triple competition next year: us, next year's school leavers, and 5,000 unemployed grads. We're ****ed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending