The Student Room Group

Two French Drs want to give coronavirus vaccine to Africa in addition to Europe & Aus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloenix
I mean there's two clear interpretations of this situation, and there's no evidence to prove either side, so it's fundamentally a battle of opinion. You either take on an optimistic viewpoint (like me who thinks that the doctors want to help Africa) or you take on a pessimistic viewpoint (like yourself) who says they view Africans as animals to test upon.

And I’d say there’s only one view to this. Historically and right now, there’s only one view. Why not help yourself first? I mean if you think you’re coming to help Africans have you helped yourself with the optimistic vaccine? No! You’re only helping if you’re 100 percent it works and they don’t even know that. Africa has less than 70 deaths from the virus yet EU with more than 7k deaths wants to come to Africa to help? No sis, it don’t work that way except they don’t know what they’re doing
Okay but if you put your pride away for a second, you will realise how dangerously at risk Africa is.
1) Africa's healthcare systems are not up to standards of Europe and North America. The countries are not as rich and therefore do not have as much money to spend on medical supplies, as the doctors said such as masks and ventilators.
2) Many countries in the continent of Africa are third-world. There are many crowded and unsanitary places (not all of course) in which a disease would spread quickly.
3) Europe, whilst not perfect, is much better in both of these things, and yet the virus came in waves. Whilst there might only be 50 cases or whatever in Africa right now, it's predicted that if they do not contain this, the whole continent will suffer, worse than anywhere else in the world. So surely, we should priotize Africa. Europe can handle themselves, we have great medical systems etc.
It's just the truth, not a matter of opinion. Africa need to be put above Europe in priority to stop there being a spread.

If you’re not ignorant for just a second you’d see where those doctors are coming from. Don’t you get? They don’t know if the vaccine works so they’re just looking for lab rats to test whatever they’ve cooked up. It isn’t a cure. The whole world is at risk, the whole world!
They keep on predicting and predicting for and about Africans but why can’t they predict when they’ll be able to curb this in the EU? Wtf, did Africa give y’all this virus? Every African that has this virus contracted it from people in The America, EU and Asian continent so I don’t exactly get what you’re saying.
Talk about priority but how do you prioritize something by gambling with it’s life like it means nothing?
(edited 4 years ago)
As usual TSR has misconstrued what was said in order to have a meaningless argument.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52151722

The trial is already being done in Europe and Australia, the idea was to include Africa in the trial in the hope that they are not left out of a potential vaccine as they are far worse off medically.
Original post by Oxford Mum
There is no easy answer to this one. I wonder why the French doctors are not testing it in France first. Is it because maybe rules and regulations on vaccine tests are different in Africa?

They are testing in France.
Reply 24
Original post by DiddyDec
They are testing in France.

Thank you I didn't know that. I was only going off the video itself which is my bad.
Reply 25
Original post by Designeddeath
And I’d say there’s only one view to this. Historically and right now, there’s only one view. Why not help yourself first? I mean if you think you’re coming to help Africans have you helped yourself with the optimistic vaccine? No! You’re only helping if you’re 100 percent it works and they don’t even know that. Africa has less than 70 deaths from the virus yet EU with more than 7k deaths wants to come to Africa to help? No sis, it don’t work that way except they don’t know what they’re doing

According to the BBC article that someone has linked below, it turns out that they are testing the vaccine in France, the rest of Europe and Australia and the doctors in the video were suggesting that we should ALSO test it in Africa. Incerm has said themselves that it has been interperted the wrong way. So clearly it wasn't a matter of racism and simply trying to HELP Africa which is being left out of efforts to cure the world.
Thank you I didn't know that. I was only going off the video itself which is my bad.

This whole thread is a ****ing mess because the OP failed to actually link to an article which clears this whole thing up.

Europe and Australia are where the trials are being started, Africa was suggestion to be added to the trial to ensure they are not left out.
According to the BBC article that someone has linked below, it turns out that they are testing the vaccine in France, the rest of Europe and Australia and the doctors in the video were suggesting that we should ALSO test it in Africa. Incerm has said themselves that it has been interperted the wrong way. So clearly it wasn't a matter of racism and simply trying to HELP Africa which is being left out of efforts to cure the world.

Edit your OP and include the actual article.
Reply 28
If you’re not ignorant for just a second you’d see where those doctors are coming from. Don’t you get? They don’t know if the vaccine works so they’re just looking for lab rats to test whatever they’ve cooked up. It isn’t a cure. The whole world is at risk, the whole world!
They keep on predicting and predicting for and about Africans but why can’t they predict when they’ll be able to curb this in the EU? Wtf, did Africa give y’all this virus? Every African that has this virus contracted it from people in The America, EU and Asian continent so I don’t exactly get what you’re saying.
Talk about priority but how do you prioritize something by gambling with it’s life like it means nothing?

You can keep your negative interpretations, because at the end of the day, if you can't provide any evidence to support them, they lead you nowhere. Stop making everything about race and you will realise that every single person in this world is desperately trying to minimise the worldwide damage of this virus.
Reply 29
This whole thread is a ****ing mess because the OP failed to actually link to an article which clears this whole thing up.

Europe and Australia are where the trials are being started, Africa was suggestion to be added to the trial to ensure they are not left out.

Yes I understand that now and I'll edit my OP. But just to let you know, no one who is reacting to this situation is aware of the trials going on in Europe and Australia. That's why the reaction was as it was.
Yes I understand that now and I'll edit my OP. But just to let you know, no one who is reacting to this situation is aware of the trials going on in Europe and Australia. That's why the reaction was as it was.

This is why you should always include a source when making a thread about news.
Reply 31
This is why you should always include a source when making a thread about news.

I added their names so that people could find their own sources and decide what to believe. I don't want to be accused of putting a biased source or something of the sorts.

Oh please! You started this thread when you didn’t know that information so don’t pretend like that was the motive
You can keep your negative interpretations, because at the end of the day, if you can't provide any evidence to support them, they lead you nowhere. Stop making everything about race and you will realise that every single person in this world is desperately trying to minimise the worldwide damage of this virus.

The same way you should stop demeaning other races with your supposed ignorant believe to help them. That’s ****ty! Trying to save Africans when you’ve not saved yourselves

Thank you for putting the full info and not some half baked one
I added their names so that people could find their own sources and decide what to believe. I don't want to be accused of putting a biased source or something of the sorts.

Put a source otherwise it ends up with this mess of a thread, if people want to find their own material after that then they can.
Reply 36
Oh please! You started this thread when you didn’t know that information so don’t pretend like that was the motive

Yes I know, but it turns out that my interpretation is supported by evidence and yours isn't. So the conclusion is that the doctors' motives were not racist.
I'm not a scientist so I have no idea how anything works which is why I've come on here for others to explain, but surely it's a good thing to give the vaccine to Africa first? There's already 50 cases over there and it will most likely spread like a wildfire.

This is your first frivolous statement about Africans stating “the vaccine should be given to Africans first” it’s obvious you read the same article as the person that helped clarified but you took out only the part that seemed to paint africa as helpless and ****ty. Very ignorant move, very very ignorant. You don’t have to clarify anymore but you reread your thread and ask yourself what exactly you were trying to say and support!
Reply 38
The same way you should stop demeaning other races with your supposed ignorant believe to help them. That’s ****ty! Trying to save Africans when you’ve not saved yourselves

Keep viewing things pessimistically if you want. I've provided my arguments and you continue to disregard them whilst I've accepted yours and I understand it completely.
Yes I know, but it turns out that my interpretation is supported by evidence and yours isn't. So the conclusion is that the doctors' motives were not racist.

But yours was! You clearly stated it should be given to Africans first so why the hell are you lying? I don’t get what you are trying to prove but you should never leave out any information just to satisfy or support your point. It spoils the end result

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending