The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

How do I write a discussion for my dissertation?

My supervisors are no help. They brush me off and don't give me much advice. Can someone help? Where do I start? What format do I follow? Thanks!
Have you done all the research? Because a dissertation is basically like a report communicating your findings so you need to first decide on a topic (has to be relevant to your degree) and research around it first
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Is your dissertation using quantitative or qualitative methods or a combination of the two?
Reply 3
Original post by theprettyrainbow
Have you done all the research? Because a dissertation is basically like a report communicating your findings so you need to first decide on a topic (has to be relevant to your degree) and research around it first

Hey, yeah I've got my findings. I did email interviews due to the coronavirus.
Reply 4
Original post by Muserock
Is your dissertation using quantitative or qualitative methods or a combination of the two?

Hey, I'm using qualitative research. I did email interviews due to the coronavirus. (I had to do this last minute as my supervisor didn't advise me at all. However, I've managed to get some data together. Thank god.
Original post by Mariafxo
Hey, I'm using qualitative research. I did email interviews due to the coronavirus. (I had to do this last minute as my supervisor didn't advise me at all. However, I've managed to get some data together. Thank god.

That sounds fine. For qualitative data, have you gone through your results and found themes?
Reply 6
That sounds fine. For qualitative data, have you gone through your results and found themes?

Erm, sort of.. What do you mean by themes? When I've read the results, it's mainly positive. My research is based on Intergenerational activity and the benefits. Sorry if I sound stupid, I've had no guidance at all and have gone off sources that we're given
Erm, sort of.. What do you mean by themes? When I've read the results, it's mainly positive. My research is based on Intergenerational activity and the benefits. Sorry if I sound stupid, I've had no guidance at all and have gone off sources that we're given

By themes I mean ideas, topics etc. Are there any in more than one interview?
Reply 8
By themes I mean ideas, topics etc. Are there any in more than one interview?

I did five interviews, all in which answered the questions correctly. All mentioned the positivity, some mentioned safeguarding and policies. Is that what you mean?
My supervisors are no help. They brush me off and don't give me much advice. Can someone help? Where do I start? What format do I follow? Thanks!

Hi @Mariafxo,

I'm currently writing my dissertation too, and it's particularly hard right now with everything being done via email.
A few things that might be of help:
The Canvas page on dissertation writing. This has everything regarding format, and some useful links to other universities' guidance. About the discussion, it says:

"Findings and discussion

If you have undertaken an empirical study generating primary data then these will probably be written as two separate sections - perhaps with a 'results' section first. If you have undertaken literature based research using secondary data then they tend to be written together (this is not a strict rule and you should always discuss it with your supervisor).

The findings explain your data and the results of your analysis to the reader. They should be clear and logical.

The discussion is the central part of your dissertation. It should include no new information or data but look at the meaning of your findings. You should also discuss any problems and your explanation of why they occurred and how they could be solved or avoided in any future research."

You can make an appointment with the Library's skills team, they are so lovely and always happy to help.
Which faculty are you in? Your faculty hub might be able to help you, either by providing guidance or helping you get more out of your supervisors. I would get in touch with them!

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding this, last year my lecturers brought in physical copies of previous years' dissertations. I don't know if they would be allowed to publish one on canvas as guidance for format etc, but it might be worth asking.

These are strange times, but you will have that lightbulb moment where it all clicks! Make sure you ask for help using every channel available to you, and let me know if you need anything else.

Best of luck!
Emi

Quick Reply

Latest