The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Failed a module in 3rd year

I am in my 3rd year at BCU and I have failed my dissertation and been given a discretionary resit but the marker gave me same grade and feedback. I requested for remark but no response yet. Do you think BCU will allow me to take the module again or just withdraw me from the course.? I’m scared 3 years is wasted and I don’t know what to do next .
Original post by Anonymous
I am in my 3rd year at BCU and I have failed my dissertation and been given a discretionary resit but the marker gave me same grade and feedback. I requested for remark but no response yet. Do you think BCU will allow me to take the module again or just withdraw me from the course.? I’m scared 3 years is wasted and I don’t know what to do next .

What did the "discretionary resit" involve? Normally the word "resit" will apply to an exam, where you take the exam again (not the same questions, obviously) in the hope of getting a better mark. If you "resit" your dissertation, does that mean you write it again, from scratch? If not, then what does it mean?

If you've rewritten it from scratch, it just sounds bizarre that you would have received the "same grade and feedback". That suggests that not only was the second attempt of exactly the same quality as the first, but that it had exactly the same issues. Is that right?
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your results, I know this must be a stressful time but there are lots of services at the university to help you. Make sure you talk to your student faculty centre to see if they can help in anyway. If you require extra support then you can get in touch with our support services on iCity.

How have you failed your dissertation? Was you not given plenty of advice beforehand by your supervisor?

You should discuss with your personal tutor. Generally the outcome people I knew who failed the dissertation had was that they were awarded an ordinary degree.

As above you'd expect the feedback to be at least slightly different if you submitted a new piece of work. Did you accidentally submit the same document again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending