The Student Room Group

Writing a methodology for history dissertation

Hi!
So I'm doing my diss for history and am kind of surprised by how formal it has to be. Does anyone know whether the methodology (discussion of sources used) goes with the abstract or the introduction?
Reply 1
Original post by squirrelmonkey12
Hi!
So I'm doing my diss for history and am kind of surprised by how formal it has to be. Does anyone know whether the methodology (discussion of sources used) goes with the abstract or the introduction?

I don't know if there are particular conventions for History dissertations but humanities dissertations are typically structured in the following way
Abstract
Introduction
Lit Review
Methodology
Research Findings + Discussion
Conclusion

So methodology is a stand alone chapter/section although you will summarise your approach in the Abstract and Introduction.

You should consult with the assignment brief and module handbook for specific advice at your university.
Original post by cheadle
I don't know if there are particular conventions for History dissertations but humanities dissertations are typically structured in the following way
Abstract
Introduction
Lit Review
Methodology
Research Findings + Discussion
Conclusion

So methodology is a stand alone chapter/section although you will summarise your approach in the Abstract and Introduction.

You should consult with the assignment brief and module handbook for specific advice at your university.

Ok, thank you so much! There's not much in my module handbook-it's more about how to work out what you want to write about which is a bit unhelpful at this stage! Again, thanks for this :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending