The Student Room Group

Am I behind on my dissertation

I have my dissertation draft due at Easter and so far I have completed a presentation explaining what my dissertation will be about and I got feedback saying I needed to include another case in my analysis I’m doing. I have scrambled to find a case after my supervisor shot down every idea I had and now I am producing a portfolio to include methodology chapter summaries primary texts and secondary texts. But, as I am writing’s portfolio I feel as though I’m making it up as I go along as since September I have worked primarily on other assignments and also had 3 deaths in the family in 2 months and now all of a sudden I have to produce this portfolio and my first draft by Easter.
I have managed to get the word count for my portfolio and come up with some chapters and I know how I’m going carry out my analysis but I have not got any definite primary texts as of yet. Does this mean I am behind?
Reply 1
Not necessarily. The hardest part of any dissertation to write is the original stuff - your own analysis and discussion. So often, students spend their time on the lit review and methodology and neglect the analysis and discussion - so my advice is that get working on these - so you must make a decision on that additional case study - you say your supervisor shot down your suggestions, so I would go back to them and have further discussion (you need to take something with you to that tutorial obvs).
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
Not necessarily. The hardest part of any dissertation to write is the original stuff - your own analysis and discussion. So often, students spend their time on the lit review and methodology and neglect the analysis and discussion - so my advice is that get working on these - so you must make a decision on that additional case study - you say your supervisor shot down your suggestions, so I would go back to them and have further discussion (you need to take something with you to that tutorial obvs).

I’ve decided on my additional case study and I’m speaking to my supervisor on Monday, I have had to keep writing so have written that this will be my additional case so hopefully he does t shut it down as I’ve already written that that is what I’m doing! This portfolio is due in 3 days and I’m not seeing them until the day before it is due :frown:
Reply 3
Just keep going and do what you can right up till the deadline. Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending