The Student Room Group

Stathclyde pharmacy

Hi!
I have an offer for pharmacy for Strathclyde.
I would be grateful if someone can inform me how the course looks overall and whether the placements only take place in Glasgow.
Thanks!
Hi, congratulation on your offer! I am a final year pharmacy student at Strathclyde. For the course, you will get to learn the body functions and some basic knowledge on how drugs work in the body and the chemistry of some drugs during the first year of the course. For Year 3 and 4, you will get to learn all sorts of drugs and the management of different diseases. Placement wise, you will be placed to the health board of your choice (but sometimes this is not available- if that makes sense to you). You will be required to do a community and hospital placement in Year 2 and 3. For Year 4, you will also be given the chance to do a primary care placement as well ( this is basically just going to GP practices).
I hope this all make sense.
Original post by rebeccacampbell
Hi, congratulation on your offer! I am a final year pharmacy student at Strathclyde. For the course, you will get to learn the body functions and some basic knowledge on how drugs work in the body and the chemistry of some drugs during the first year of the course. For Year 3 and 4, you will get to learn all sorts of drugs and the management of different diseases. Placement wise, you will be placed to the health board of your choice (but sometimes this is not available- if that makes sense to you). You will be required to do a community and hospital placement in Year 2 and 3. For Year 4, you will also be given the chance to do a primary care placement as well ( this is basically just going to GP practices).
I hope this all make sense.

Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciating it!:biggrin:
How do you find the workload overall? I did biomed and had 4 pharma modules which I really enjoyed.
In terms of the exams are they all at the end of the year or you have mid exams too?
Thanks!:smile:
Hi there I also have an offer for pharmacy at strathclyde to start in September. I'm in my last year of school and am a bit worried about the standard of the first year knowledge in pharmacy and work load, as I am at school in Northern Ireland, Ive heard the A level curriculum is different to Scotland! :smile:
Original post by aspireddentist
Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciating it!:biggrin:
How do you find the workload overall? I did biomed and had 4 pharma modules which I really enjoyed.
In terms of the exams are they all at the end of the year or you have mid exams too?
Thanks!

In terms of workload, you will be expected to do some preparations before going into workshops and labs. You will have written assignments to do for each class and also folio work after your placements.
For exams, you will get an exam per class so this is two exams in semester one and another two in semester two. You will also an to do an OSCE examination in semester 2 in April. You will normally get one mini tests three weeks into a new class.
I know that it seems a lot of work to do but everyone is one the boat so you will be totally fine! :h:
Original post by mboyle2020
Hi there I also have an offer for pharmacy at strathclyde to start in September. I'm in my last year of school and am a bit worried about the standard of the first year knowledge in pharmacy and work load, as I am at school in Northern Ireland, Ive heard the A level curriculum is different to Scotland! :smile:

Hi there, congrats on your offer! You don't have to worry about the standard of 1st year. Many people from across the world come to do the course so it is structured in a way to make sure that everyone's knowledge is up to their the standard. :h:
In terms of workload, you will be expected to do some preparations before going into workshops and labs. You will have written assignments to do for each class and also folio work after your placements.
For exams, you will get an exam per class so this is two exams in semester one and another two in semester two. You will also an to do an OSCE examination in semester 2 in April. You will normally get one mini tests three weeks into a new class.
I know that it seems a lot of work to do but everyone is one the boat so you will be totally fine! :h:

Thanks for your reply!:wink:
Does the course involve a lot of lab work overall? I already graduated with biomed and have done 4 pharma modules so far. I liked lab work but I am choosing pharmacy cause I like the patient interaction we get to have in our career. Also, in your diss can you choose a non-lab project?
Finally, are there any modules that are 100% exams?
Thanks once again.:smile:
Thanks for your reply!:wink:
Does the course involve a lot of lab work overall? I already graduated with biomed and have done 4 pharma modules so far. I liked lab work but I am choosing pharmacy cause I like the patient interaction we get to have in our career. Also, in your diss can you choose a non-lab project?
Finally, are there any modules that are 100% exams?
Thanks once again.:smile:

There's actually not a lot of lab work to do as this course mainly focus on the practice side of pharmacy (like patient interactions). The lab works are just there to show us how the drugs work in our body and they are just a small part of the course. You will get the opportunity to choose either a lab-based or a non-lab-based diss. Not all modules are 100% exams. For some classes you will need to do a SBAR, written assignments and also portfolio work in order to pass the class.
There's actually not a lot of lab work to do as this course mainly focus on the practice side of pharmacy (like patient interactions). The lab works are just there to show us how the drugs work in our body and they are just a small part of the course. You will get the opportunity to choose either a lab-based or a non-lab-based diss. Not all modules are 100% exams. For some classes you will need to do a SBAR, written assignments and also portfolio work in order to pass the class.

Thank you so much for your reply!!:smile::biggrin:
Finally, does the marking follow the 2:1, 1st scale?
In the non-lab based diss do you offer a hospital placement instead?
Thank you so much for your reply!!:smile::biggrin:
Finally, does the marking follow the 2:1, 1st scale?
In the non-lab based diss do you offer a hospital placement instead?

This is a master's course so your marks are categorised into Fail, Pass, Merit, and Distinction. The pass mark for Year 2 to 4 is 40% and above, whereas it is 50% and above for Year 5. For you non-lab based diss, you can do anything, it doesn't have to be a hospital placement. Everyone will have to do a hospital placement every year anyways in order for them to pass the class.
This is a master's course so your marks are categorised into Fail, Pass, Merit, and Distinction. The pass mark for Year 2 to 4 is 40% and above, whereas it is 50% and above for Year 5. For you non-lab based diss, you can do anything, it doesn't have to be a hospital placement. Everyone will have to do a hospital placement every year anyways in order for them to pass the class.

Thank you very much for your replies!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending