The Student Room Group

Pharmacy without work experience

Hi guys:smile: would it be okay apply for MPharm course without any work experience? I'm just worried whether I need one for the course.. would it be enough with taking online course?
Original post by gowiththefloww
Hi guys:smile: would it be okay apply for MPharm course without any work experience? I'm just worried whether I need one for the course.. would it be enough with taking online course?

Apparently, from what I have read on here, you don't need any pharmacy work-experience to apply to study the MPharm degree.
However, were I going to be paying £37,000 pounds, and setting my future career path by taking this degree, then I would certainly try to obtain at least ONE day in a community pharmacy to see what you are going to be doing for a job in about 6 or 7 years.
Reason being that approx two-thirds of pharmacy degree graduates end up in community pharmacy. If you can obtain a day with a hospital or GP surgery pharmacist then that would be amazing, although I'm not sure these days how easy that would be to arrange. Perhaps your college/school career's tutor may be of assistance here?
At the very least I would try to see if it were possible to book an appointment with some community pharmacists, just for a general chat about the degree, and if they enjoyed it, would they recommend a career in pharmacy, etc. if you are unable to get any work experience in the sector.
It would be interesting if there is anyone here applying for medicine, and just putting pharmacy as a 5th choice, if they could provide any information on what is expected by medical schools, so a comparison could be made.

And to that age old question, No, it matters not at all where you do your pharmacy degree, Boots, Tesco, the NHS, no-one cares as long as you can pass the pharmacy degree, then pass the pre-reg (foundation year) exam and get onto the register of pharmaceutical chemists. I know some students find this rather strange, thinking that if they go to UCL, or Nottingham/Manchester/Cardiff, or any Russell group, then it makes them much more employable, I'm afraid it really doesn't. Pharmacy is a little strange in this respect if you compare to subjects like Law, etc.
Best wishes and Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by gowiththefloww

Yes you can apply without works experience, it is by no means essential.

However, I think you would be most ill advised to do so. To spend so much time and money on a degree course without full understanding on what you are letting yourself into is foolish.

Most pharmacy graduates find employment in a community pharmacy and unfortunately this is the area where there is so much uncertainty. Last year Lloyds were the second largest pharmacy chain and now they have gone having closed or sold all their pharmacies. Boots are up for sale and are actively trimming their portfolio by closure or selling. Locum pay rates are falling from the highs during Covid.

I strongly suggest you approach an independent pharmacy and ask if you can spend some time in the pharmacy to get a feel of what it is currently like. You may find the reality is very different to the picture painted by the Universities who are trying to sell you a degree course.
Ask questions. Read the Chemist and Druggist and Pharmacy online magazines (free).

The cost of a University degree is now so high that you absolutely must be certain that it is worth it to you.

Good luck……
Original post by Sarah H.
Yes you can apply without works experience, it is by no means essential.

However, I think you would be most ill advised to do so. To spend so much time and money on a degree course without full understanding on what you are letting yourself into is foolish.

Most pharmacy graduates find employment in a community pharmacy and unfortunately this is the area where there is so much uncertainty. Last year Lloyds were the second largest pharmacy chain and now they have gone having closed or sold all their pharmacies. Boots are up for sale and are actively trimming their portfolio by closure or selling. Locum pay rates are falling from the highs during Covid.

I strongly suggest you approach an independent pharmacy and ask if you can spend some time in the pharmacy to get a feel of what it is currently like. You may find the reality is very different to the picture painted by the Universities who are trying to sell you a degree course.
Ask questions. Read the Chemist and Druggist and Pharmacy online magazines (free).

The cost of a University degree is now so high that you absolutely must be certain that it is worth it to you.

Good luck……

Thank you so much Sarah because of what you've said to me, I went to local pharmacy and asked for interview! Just like you said, I could feel that the reality is quite different from the picture painted by universities. But still I think I want to be part of nothing special outcome. But I'm an international which makes me sometimes doubting haha... I hope pay rates go higher in the future.. Thank you so much!!
Original post by mrlittlebigman
Apparently, from what I have read on here, you don't need any pharmacy work-experience to apply to study the MPharm degree.
However, were I going to be paying £37,000 pounds, and setting my future career path by taking this degree, then I would certainly try to obtain at least ONE day in a community pharmacy to see what you are going to be doing for a job in about 6 or 7 years.
Reason being that approx two-thirds of pharmacy degree graduates end up in community pharmacy. If you can obtain a day with a hospital or GP surgery pharmacist then that would be amazing, although I'm not sure these days how easy that would be to arrange. Perhaps your college/school career's tutor may be of assistance here?
At the very least I would try to see if it were possible to book an appointment with some community pharmacists, just for a general chat about the degree, and if they enjoyed it, would they recommend a career in pharmacy, etc. if you are unable to get any work experience in the sector.
It would be interesting if there is anyone here applying for medicine, and just putting pharmacy as a 5th choice, if they could provide any information on what is expected by medical schools, so a comparison could be made.

And to that age old question, No, it matters not at all where you do your pharmacy degree, Boots, Tesco, the NHS, no-one cares as long as you can pass the pharmacy degree, then pass the pre-reg (foundation year) exam and get onto the register of pharmaceutical chemists. I know some students find this rather strange, thinking that if they go to UCL, or Nottingham/Manchester/Cardiff, or any Russell group, then it makes them much more employable, I'm afraid it really doesn't. Pharmacy is a little strange in this respect if you compare to subjects like Law, etc.
Best wishes and Good luck.

In fact, I need to pay much more than £37,000 pounds since I'm an international haha.. I don't have any issues with working in local pharmacies just have some money issues.. whether would it be enough for paying my rent and other cost of living🥲 I tried to find one pharmacist to ask for it but it wasn't easy. In my country, there's no shadowing... Thank you so much for insights that you've given me! Honestly, I'm not interested in famous uni because I simply can not afford their tuition fees! Just hoping I can also work in pharmaceutical companies as well in the future after I graduate in an affordable uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending