The Student Room Group

Pharmacy career prospects

Is it worth doing a degree in pharmacy? Will I be able to get the salary of a doctor if I manage to work at companies like Astrazeneca? Should I take that risk? I'm just more interested in pharmacy than med and dentistry.
Reply 1
Original post by ReynaRamirez
Is it worth doing a degree in pharmacy? Will I be able to get the salary of a doctor if I manage to work at companies like Astrazeneca? Should I take that risk? I'm just more interested in pharmacy than med and dentistry.

But do you actually like Pharmacy, or just more than Dentistry or Medicine? These are not the only 3 jobs in the world.

Why do you need to be paid the same as a doctor, why not more or less? Whether working for a pharma company is worthwhile or not depends on many more factors than salary, and only you can assess the risks. What if it paid twice as much as a doctor but you hated in, how much would the money really matter then. There are plenty of unhappy rich people in jobs they hate, so work from ground up and figure out if you actually like the role and certain areas like big pharma.

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by ReynaRamirez

Employment in the pharmaceutical industry with the likes of AZ is possible but jobs are few in number and not easy to obtain.

Currently two out of three pharmacy graduates end up in community pharmacies with hospital pharmacy accounting for most of the rest.

You will no doubt have read in the press the dire financial state currently in community pharmacies. Boots are yet again up for sale and are actively closing unprofitable branches to make them a more attractive buy. They couldn’t find a buyer last time they tried.
The once famous Lloyds Pharmacy name will be gone in a few weeks with their branches sold or closed.
Independent pharmacies are cutting services such as deliveries and monitored doseage systems to save costs. I know of a few making unsustainable losses. Pharmacist locum rates that peaked during covid are falling.

It is not looking good……

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending