The Student Room Group

Second Bachelor's degree after PGCE?

Hi

I am a mature PGCE student (like, mid-40s mature!). My course has been temporarily suspended, like everyone else's and I just don't have the confidence to apply for any jobs at the moment. I don't feel ready and every job seems beyond me.
In an unrelated turn of events, I have been told that I am due to inherit some money from a relative who died last year. I don't know the exact amount but it's enough to tide me over for quite a while.
I have had an idea but I don't know if it's ridiculous. My original degree that I did 20 years ago was in marketing. I worked in that industry for 17 years before being made redundant and changing my direction. I have no intention of going back to that, ever. It also doesn't transfer particularly well to the primary classroom apart from my displays always being on point:wink:.
But, I'm considering not doing my NQT year just yet but instead, going back to do an undergrad in a core/foundation subject, maybe history or English (not STEM, I struggle with those as it is!)
I could either bite the bullet and go back full-time over 3 years, or try and get supply work to keep my hand in and do it part-time over 6.

By the time I finished, I would be super-qualified but also nearly 50. What do people think (bearing in mind the financial situation has been eased quite a bit and very unexpectedly)? Am I going to be more employable or less?

I have two children of primary school age and my mum finished her nursing training when she was 52 if that makes any difference?
I would not advise you to go back and complete another undergraduate degree. It would look silly and raise a few questions. You could complete a Masters degree. Look into those. I would keep doing supply from September if you were going to as then there will not be as big of a gap in your employment / for NQT.

I've done some looking and you could get into a Masters in English studies or something like that with your degree, if it is 2:2 or above.

Also, as you have completed your PGCE, you are eligible to enrol on the Masters in Ed degree and transfer your PGCE credits over making it quicker and cheaper for you. I'd recommend doing the Master of Ed as you can gain subject knowledge yourself in your own home by buying textbooks and googling. If you are feeling out of your depth, then exploring education at a higher level may allow you to become more qualified and give you time to gain confidence working in supply. Plus, a masters degree isn't really going to increase your subject knowledge for the primary curriculum.

In contrast, you don't really need anymore qualifications so you could just start on supply and gain some confidence or try some teaching assistant work first.
Original post by Posiekins
Hi

I am a mature PGCE student (like, mid-40s mature!). My course has been temporarily suspended, like everyone else's and I just don't have the confidence to apply for any jobs at the moment. I don't feel ready and every job seems beyond me.
In an unrelated turn of events, I have been told that I am due to inherit some money from a relative who died last year. I don't know the exact amount but it's enough to tide me over for quite a while.
I have had an idea but I don't know if it's ridiculous. My original degree that I did 20 years ago was in marketing. I worked in that industry for 17 years before being made redundant and changing my direction. I have no intention of going back to that, ever. It also doesn't transfer particularly well to the primary classroom apart from my displays always being on point:wink:.
But, I'm considering not doing my NQT year just yet but instead, going back to do an undergrad in a core/foundation subject, maybe history or English (not STEM, I struggle with those as it is!)
I could either bite the bullet and go back full-time over 3 years, or try and get supply work to keep my hand in and do it part-time over 6.

By the time I finished, I would be super-qualified but also nearly 50. What do people think (bearing in mind the financial situation has been eased quite a bit and very unexpectedly)? Am I going to be more employable or less?

I have two children of primary school age and my mum finished her nursing training when she was 52 if that makes any difference?

I'm in the same boat as you (although a bit younger, 34) and was also made redundant from my previous job so decided to do a career change into teaching. I'm planning on doing supply work. After a difficult placement and with my PGCE continuing but just not in schools, I have lost a lot of confidence. I am hoping to gain experience and increase my confidence. I also have a place to study a Masters part time.

I don't think you need to do another degree. You can build up your subject knowledge by reading around the subject. Most teachers won't have qualifications in all curriculum subjects. There's lots of free online courses that can help with this.
If you really wanted to get more knowledge in a new area you could take a levels in a year.
But it seems like you are just putting off being a teacher. If you wanted a degree to pursue another area then fine but if you want to teach, just get in and do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending