The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open uni

Is open university worth it. I dropped out of university after two years and is now hoping to return to studies. Open university is reasonably priced . Is 120 credits in a year doable and then maybe transfer to a brick uni for second year . Or I should I complete three years at open university . I’m hoping to study bsc psychology. Are there placements for open university. Can I do masters at a conventional uni after bachelors at open uni ?
If your previous study was related, have you applied for credit transfer? You should be able to skip some modules.

I studied computing and it's proven an employable degree (I've been working in the field for a while while studying, some classmates have been getting offers with roughly a year left to go). Definitely worth it for me.

I can't speak for psychology... the impression I've been given is that the path to become a clinical psychologist is a long and competitive one, but that's not the only route a psychology grad can go down.

There's a platform for jobs/grad schemes/internships/volunteering/CV reviews/etc ("OpportunityHub"), haven't used it yet myself.

Original post by Anonymous
Can I do masters at a conventional uni after bachelors at open uni ?

Yes. Search the OU subreddit (and/or this subforum) for "brick masters" for examples and more info about this. The OU->PGCE/PGDE route is also common.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If your previous study was related, have you applied for credit transfer? You should be able to skip some modules.

I studied computing and it's proven an employable degree (I've been working in the field for a while while studying, some classmates have been getting offers with roughly a year left to go). Definitely worth it for me.

I can't speak for psychology... the impression I've been given is that the path to become a clinical psychologist is a long and competitive one, but that's not the only route a psychology grad can go down.

There's a platform for jobs/grad schemes/internships/volunteering/CV reviews/etc ("OpportunityHub"), haven't used it yet myself.

Yes. Search the OU subreddit (and/or this subforum) for "brick masters" for examples and more info about this. The OU->PGCE/PGDE route is also common.

I did nursing before . Have you heard much about open unis. Having a degree is pretty much the same as having a degree from a brick uni right ?

Quick Reply

Latest