The Student Room Group

math

forum closed
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ok, so lets start with the first question
Three things to know about bearings;
Always measured from North, always clockwise and always with 3 digits. Things to consider - What’s the measure of an angle in an equilateral triangle, angles around a point and co -interior angles?
Reply 3
Original post by PizzaMan2989
Three things to know about bearings;
Always measured from North, always clockwise and always with 3 digits. Things to consider - What’s the measure of an angle in an equilateral triangle, angles around a point and co -interior angles?

okay thanks i learnt this already i just need some help tackling the question
if you know that the bearing of C (Carfeild) from A (Axton) is 142 degrees.

And its a rule that you should learn that allied angles add up to 180 degrees. (most likely, you already knew that)

So where are the allied angles? the angle N (the North line above A), A and C make up one angle. The second angle is made by joining another N drawn above C, C, and then A. These two angles are allied.

(wait a second, im still writing haha)
Original post by thara987
if you know that the bearing of C (Carfeild) from A (Axton) is 142 degrees.

And its a rule that you should learn that allied angles add up to 180 degrees. (most likely, you already knew that)

So where are the allied angles? the angle N (the North line above A), A and C make up one angle. The second angle is made by joining another N drawn above C, C, and then A. These two angles are allied.

(wait a second, im still writing haha)

so, if you know that the first angle is 142 degrees, you know that the second angle is 180 - 142 = (38 degrees)

and if every angle WITHIN the triangle (that A, B, C make up) is 60 degrees, since the triangle is equilateralal (180 / 3 = 60)

then the angle between a new North line above C, C and B must be the combination of the angle: 1) new North line above C, C and A ( which is 38 degrees) and: 2) A, C and B (which is 60 degrees)

So, 38 + 60 = 98 degrees. This is the answer for question number 1
Reply 6
so, if you know that the first angle is 142 degrees, you know that the second angle is 180 - 142 = (38 degrees)

and if every angle WITHIN the triangle (that A, B, C make up) is 60 degrees, since the triangle is equilateralalt (180 / 3 = 60)

then the angle between a new North line above C, C and B must be the combination of the angle: 1) new North line above C, C and A ( which is 38 degrees) and: 2) A, C and B (which is 60 degrees)

thanks a lot so much really helps, could i have some assistance for the second question plz.

and if every angle WITHIN the triangle (that A, B, C make up) is 60 degrees, since the triangle is equilateralal (180 / 3 = 60)

however, we need to write this as a bearing, so 98 would not be the answer as this has been measured anticlockwise
Reply 8
is that an a level question or gcse?
Reply 10
however, we need to write this as a bearing, so 98 would not be the answer as this has been measured anticlockwise

ah so how would you write it then

So, to calculate the angles CLOCKWISE from our imaginary North line above C to B, then we just have to subtract 98 degrees from 360 degrees, as 98 degrees was measured ANTICLOCKWISE.

So , 360 - 98 = 262 degrees

Please read through this and tell me if i have made any mistakes :smile:
Reply 12
So, to calculate the angles CLOCKWISE from our imaginary North line above C to B, then we just have to subtract 98 degrees from 360 degrees, as 98 degrees was measured ANTICLOCKWISE.

So , 360 - 98 = 262 degrees

Please read through this and tell me if i have made any mistakes :smile:

wow thats so easy now thanks alot, could you help me with the second question pls?
Nope it’s fine
Reply 14
Nope it’s fine

second question help plz
Alternate angles are usually referred to ‘Z’ angles where the angles formed in the Z are equal and alternate. See if you can spot a Z
So, onto your next question.

First of all, if you need help here, then its better to recap what exactly is an alternate angle (i get stuck on these as well, dont worry!).

Ok, an alternate angle is formed only when two conditions are met: 1) there are at least 2 parallel lines and 2) a straight line crosses straight through them.

Alternate angles are "Z" angles.

They occur at the angles between the parallel line, and the line that crosses straight through them.
Reply 17
Alternate angles are usually referred to ‘Z’ angles where the angles formed in the Z are equal and alternate. See if you can spot a Z

yes thanks but i do not get it when there are two separate diagrams
Reply 18
So, onto your next question.

First of all, if you need help here, then its better to recap what exactly is an alternate angle (i get stuck on these as well, dont worry!).

Ok, an alternate angle is formed only when two conditions are met: 1) there are at least 2 parallel lines and 2) a straight line crosses straight through them.

Alternate angles are "Z" angles.

They occur at the angles between the parallel line, and the line that crosses straight through them.

yes i understand that
Original post by Fifty345
yes thanks but i do not get it when there are two separate diagrams

There's only ONE diagram here.

Quick Reply

Latest