The Student Room Group

Anxiety really worsening over Covid.

This pandemic has really been taking a toll on my mental health. I have been avoiding the news and today I overheard my parents telling about how apprently these social distancing restrictions will last until the end of the year and that life will not go back to normal until the end of the this year and even that they're not sure how long it will take for life to get back to normal.
And I'm shaking. I suffer with anxiety and generally worry over everything and this pandemic has been making me feel so much worse. Like its been a week since I probabaly combed my hair, my parents told me to look after myself but I just cannot think straight.
Hearing my parents talk about the virus today I am left shaken. I am so worried and anxious and just feel like crying.
The thought of not been able to leave my house much right at this moment in time. Makes me feel even more claustrophobic. I honestly feel like I'm going crazy.
The death rates on a day to day basis really play with my head. Which I try to ignore and be in denial off although I know everyday so many people are dying.
I try to trick my brain into thinking things are improving when actually I know they're not:frown:

I really do not know what to do. I feel sick and do not want to talk to my family about all this, dont want to worry them.
Hi 😃
Well done for posting on here that is a brilliant step and something to be so proud of. it's totally understandable that you feel more anxious at the moment and you are definitely not alone. It's ok to feel as you are and you should never feel ashamed. There are so many people out there who will want to help I promise and you will get back to being in a better place. If you would like to talk to me via DM me you are more than welcome, whether that's today or any time in the future.
Take care :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jamiet0185
Hi 😃
Well done for posting on here that is a brilliant step and something to be so proud of. it's totally understandable that you feel more anxious at the moment and you are definitely not alone. It's ok to feel as you are and you should never feel ashamed. There are so many people out there who will want to help I promise and you will get back to being in a better place. If you would like to talk to me via DM me you are more than welcome, whether that's today or any time in the future.
Take care :smile:

Thank you for your kind words. And I do try to remind myself that everyone is fighting through this together and that I'm not alone, everyone is in the same boat. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your kind words. And I do try to remind myself that everyone is fighting through this together and that I'm not alone, everyone is in the same boat. :smile:

Hi,

Just wanted to echo the thoughts of well done for reaching out.

Also I totally get what you mean by saying we are all in the same boat, but I would actually change that to say that we are all in the same storm, some people have a luxury cruise liner, some people don't even have a boat at all and most are somewhere in between. So don't judge yourself harshly for struggling with what is going on.
To generalise a very complex issue - anxiety often comes down to two aspects, fear of the future and fear of things we have no control over. Unfortunately the current situation can easily exaggerate both.

What sort of things normally help you with your anxiety?

It's lovely of you that you don't want your family to worry, but I would just ask if you broke your ankle would you not tell them and keep going on the family walks?

Obviously you know your family situation a million times better than I do, but it's worth thinking about whether whilst they wouldn't want you to be struggling, if you are struggling would they want to know so that they could at least try to help?

There are organisations out there who support young people with their mental health, including The Mix and there are organisations that give specific support and advice about anxiety, including Anxiety UK and Nopanic.

Good luck, and well done again for reaching out.

Socrates.
Original post by Anonymous

No problem at all. Remember that just because everybody else is struggling it doesnt make your difficulties any less important, and you are still allowed to ask for help from your family and friends I'm also always here if you'd like a chat! 😀👍
Reply 5
;(
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest