The Student Room Group

UNIVERSITY ENGLISH LITERATURE: Aphorism Help! Adorno's Minima Moralia!

Hi! For my Reading Texts module this semester we are studying Adorno's Minima Moralia. From the beginning, my tutor announced that this text was difficult, and now with COVID-19 it has become even more challenging! This is because of everything going virtual; I also can't really access as much help as I would like because of this.

I'm doing my summative on Aphorism 5 p25-26 in Adorno's Minima Moralia and I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me out with it! I understand the general gist of it; however, this summative is (I think) like 2-3k of close reading... I'm not sure how I'm going to do that.

1. ‘The chance conversation in the train, when, to avoid dispute, one consents to a few statements that one knows ultimately to implicate murder, is already a betrayal; no thought is immune against communication, and to utter it in the wrong place and in wrong agreement is enough to undermine its truth. Every visit to the cinema leaves me, against all my vigilance, stupider and worse. Sociability itself connives at injustice by pretending that in this chill world we can still talk to each other, and the casual, amiable remark contributes to perpetuating silence, in that the concessions made to the interlocutor debase him once more in the person of speaker. The evil principle that was always latent in affability unfurls its full bestiality in the egalitarian spirit. Condescension, and thinking oneself no better, are the same.’ Aphorism 5, pp. 25-26.

That's the quote! Thanks very much in advance ^_^ I'm not asking for someone to do my entire summative or whatever - I just really would like some guidance. I would ask my Reading Texts tutor; however, I feel like I keep bothering him :frown: thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending