The Student Room Group

Lockdown will begin to end/be eased from Monday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferrograd
Know I get lambasted for creating new COVID threads, but this I believe will warrant a new discussion in its own right https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-track-trace-care-home-deaths-cases-uk1/ - "stay at home" advice sets to be ended this weekend.

I like how they've gone from "easing lockdown now would be a disaster" to a "full easing of lockdown now would be a disaster". This is sooner than I expected even if it is just a few small changes. Think it may be started with a traffic light system, starting with people allowed to excercise more than once a day - which TBH seems pointless, as ppl have probably already done this and it doesn't really have much of an effect.

I personally believe they should allow families to meet. Not in large groups, less than 10.

But not in Scotland
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Occitanie
I don’t know why they would have counted it for today’s deaths......

I’m not saying you’re wrong btw

Because officiating a death doesn't happen instantly especially when a load of people are dying en masse. Backlogs occur and don't forget the 'weekend effect'. The actual number of people dying in each 24 hour period is lower.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/
Original post by SterlingBank
Because officiating a death doesn't happen instantly especially when a load of people are dying en masse. Backlogs occur and don't forget the 'weekend effect'. The actual number of people dying in each 24 hour period is lower.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Man this is confusing...

Thanks for the link!
Man this is confusing...

Thanks for the link!

Yeah people think the government are being reckless because they want to lift some aspects of lockdow when there are '600' deaths per day but the reality is that deaths in hospital are in decline and have been for a while. Care homes are a big issue but they are a sector of society which clearly can be isolated and protected away whilst letting the rest of society get on with life.
Original post by SterlingBank
Yeah people think the government are being reckless because they want to lift some aspects of lockdow when there are '600' deaths per day but the reality is that deaths in hospital are in decline and have been for a while. Care homes are a big issue but they are a sector of society which clearly can be isolated and protected away whilst letting the rest of society get on with life.

This is mental, and I admit I’ve been quite ignorant largely in part because of how awful these high daily death tolls have been.

Why are the BBC and other news channels reporting it like this then?
Original post by Quady
R will never equal zero until we have immunity.

But I don't know, it'll take time to work out.

Just saying death rates are as useful not as when then there zero.

I agree with you on your first statement.

Tbh, they're only going to ease it very slightly probably to give the UK some hope.
Mr Johnson hasn't a clue probably what he is going to announce on Sunday. Same as usual. Probably looking for some latin words or strange analogies to include.

He likes comparison to Winston Churchill, but if someone as incapable as Mr Johnson had been leader in 1940, the Nazis would have successfully invaded the U.K.
Reply 67
By not easing lockdown too early?

Plenty of scientists and advisors to the government are worried.

So wait until no new cases in the UK for six weeks?
Original post by Quady
So wait until no new cases in the UK for six weeks?

Twice I’ve said what I think the UK should be doing.
This is mental, and I admit I’ve been quite ignorant largely in part because of how awful these high daily death tolls have been.

Why are the BBC and other news channels reporting it like this then?

Presumably because they are reporting deaths reported that day. No a jab at you but people really need to do their own research instead of just relying on the media to tell them what is going on. Most media sources are just promoting 'coronaphobia'.
Reply 70
Twice I’ve said what I think the UK should be doing.

Not on this thread you haven't other than 'don't reduce lockdown' - wot ever?

Or could you direct me to the post number on this thread where you've had any clarity of approach?
Well, is R=0 today?

No R =between 0.6 and 0.9 and we have to keep it below 1 to avoid another peak and lockdown.
I think the government has given up😂😂
just my opinion though
I personally think any changes will be minor.
Have to be aware and protect from the potential second wave.
Reply 75
Original post by Scotney
No R =between 0.6 and 0.9 and we have to keep it below 1 to avoid another peak and lockdown.

How can you possibly know what R will be today.....?
Original post by the bear
the public are not going to stay docile much longer, having seen the chief scientist guy breaking lockdown for the purposes of rumpy pumpy....

PRSOM says he isolating with under 21s Stavanger volleyball team, lol xxx (we're only joking)
Original post by barnetlad
Mr Johnson hasn't a clue probably what he is going to announce on Sunday. Same as usual. Probably looking for some latin words or strange analogies to include.

He likes comparison to Winston Churchill, but if someone as incapable as Mr Johnson had been leader in 1940, the Nazis would have successfully invaded the U.K.

I really love this comment! Will get my Latin dictionary out, just in case...
Original post by Leviathan1611
I think the government has given up😂😂
just my opinion though

I'm not surprised if they have, they can't please everyone lol. The economy is going to fall to bits, people will (and already have) take when they end lockdown into their own hands, people are too scared of coronavirus to go outside and magically think it will disappear/a second peak of infections won't happen, the media is out of control, some people are happy sitting at home getting paid to do nothing, some people don't want to send their kids to school again, universities are a mess.

Place has turned into a free-for-all :rofl:
Original post by Gastrocnemius
I'd be surprised if the UK got to this level of organisation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending