The Student Room Group

Six years of no achievement, hopes dashed, what now?

Here’s some information about my situation, apologies if it turns out to be a long read:

During my fifth year at high school I began to experience difficulties with my mental health as a result of friendship issues and general stress. I achieved AAABC Highers (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English), somewhat disappointing to look at now, as I feel I could have achieved better Maths and English results if I wasn’t so burnt out.

I really was not in a good way at the end of fifth year. I left school in September 2017, only a month or so after starting sixth year, as my attendance had plummeted and I’d lost all motivation. I hoped to become a pilot, but I had no real plan in place.

After I left school, I had no friends and no routine. I spent most of my time indoors playing video games. I did eventually try to seek support, but COVID put a stop to that. The pandemic and associated lockdowns served to only deepen my isolation. I wouldn’t leave the house for months at a time.

My situation began to improve around the beginning of 2023, I finally started going out more, and I was beginning to explore options for getting into work to fund flying training. Unfortunately, years of insomnia, inactivity and vitamin D deficiency came to bite me hard in the arse. I had a seizure and broke my hip in April.

The broken hip was annoying, but it’s pretty much healed and I can just about walk now. The seizure on the other hand is a disaster, as it will likely prevent me from obtaining a pilot medical certificate. I don’t yet know for certain but it could well be ten years before I’m eligible, and I’ve heard that a seizure history can make it considerably harder to secure a first job as a pilot.

I didn’t have a plan B when this happened, so aside from being completely devastated, I also don’t know what to do or how to do it. I’ve been thinking about going to University to study a STEM subject, possibly materials science/engineering but I’m far from certain.

So, why am I writing this? I just feel lost. I’ve been trying to weigh up my options but it’s really stressing me out. I’m looking for any advice or ideas which I could build upon. If you have questions for me, ask them and I’ll answer as best as I can.
Reply 1
Have you considered looking into trading and/or starting an ecommerce business or even real estate ?? There's so much opportunities out there on the internet and youtube videos that help loads. I heard Rich Dad Poor Dad By Robert Kiyosaki and Sharon Lechter is a really good book to begin learning financial literacy. I can't tell you much considering i've just begun reading it but hope it helps.

Quick Reply

Latest