The Student Room Group

Comparing/self esteem

How do you stop comparing yourself with siblings, friends and people in your class?
It's very difficult to not help feel jealous when someone does better in a test or downgrading yourself that you're bad at everything.Any tips to feel more confident?
hi!

I was in the same situation as you are, and i agree, it's extremely difficult not to beat yourself up mentally when you find up that your classmates have gotten a better grade than you. It may leave you feel worthless and beaten up. Afterwards you'll probably begin to self-critique yourself to a point where you'll be mentally exhausted and frustrated. However, this is all apart of the process! All of us have our different and unique paths, therefore it is not worth comparing yourself to others as all of us are diverse and have our own specialties and faults, because in the end we're all human, not robots.

First of all, I would advise you to begin acknowledging that your path is set, however, nobody is going to be there to push you up that moutain you have to climb over to reach the end of the path. Which means that you have to work like a WORK-HORSE in order to achieve good grades. Begin revising/studying 1 hour a day, focusing on different subjects from monday to saturday, and take the sunday off to have a full on lazy day, where you can relax and treat yourself.

Secondly, find a hobby! It can be a sport, cooking, or simply walking, anything that works for you! These hobbies can help you relieve stress, calm and clear your mind, and make your body work. These are all healthy benefits for you. Make sure you choose a hobby that makes you HAPPY! That is an extremely important factor.

Lastly, be yourself. Be confident, do all the things you'd want to do. Go ask that person out, dont let people and their achievements bother you in a negative way. DO WHATEVER YOU WANT! Because all your actions will not matter in a 1000 years. Nobody will remember them, unless you become a super star like Taylor Swift, of course. However, the actions you take are all up to you. You can decide to take negative actions, which may push your progress back, e.g. being lazy and taking a day off when you're not supposed to, but everyday is a fresh start, so make it worth it.

Good luck!
(edited 4 months ago)
Thnak you sooo much i will take this advice . i do have a few hobbies mainly instruments

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending