The Student Room Group

Access to HE in Education Studies

So I start my Access to HE course in 45 hours and I was wondering other people's experience. How stressful was the course? Is it full on from the beginning or do they ease you into it? Is there just one assignment per unit or are there multiple?
I have additional support in college due to my autism and am slightly worried that this will make my peers see me as getting more help with assignments than them which isn't the case. I just get to use things like a word processor and have additional breaks when needed.
I currently have 2 planners going into this year, a daily one and a weekly one. Which do those of you who have completed the access course think would be best? Will using both be too confusing?
I already have my bag packed and was wondering if I am missing anything? Currently I have a day folder, refill pad, pencil case, planners and post it notes, plus my college badge of course.
Overall, (sorry for the long post) I just want to know personal experiences and as much information as possible to prepare myself.
Thanks in advance
Original post by Miljo06
So I start my Access to HE course in 45 hours and I was wondering other people's experience. How stressful was the course? Is it full on from the beginning or do they ease you into it? Is there just one assignment per unit or are there multiple?
I have additional support in college due to my autism and am slightly worried that this will make my peers see me as getting more help with assignments than them which isn't the case. I just get to use things like a word processor and have additional breaks when needed.
I currently have 2 planners going into this year, a daily one and a weekly one. Which do those of you who have completed the access course think would be best? Will using both be too confusing?
I already have my bag packed and was wondering if I am missing anything? Currently I have a day folder, refill pad, pencil case, planners and post it notes, plus my college badge of course.
Overall, (sorry for the long post) I just want to know personal experiences and as much information as possible to prepare myself.
Thanks in advance

I did my Access in Science so it would be different to what you are doing.

How stressful was the course?
Not particularly stressful, but then again you're talking to someone who did advanced studies and took on high stress job roles. My previous classmates who did the same course found it OK; some of whom were mothers.

Is it full on from the beginning or do they ease you into it?
They usually start you off with the ungraded content and then work on the graded content i.e. ease you in. Whilst they don't particularly let you laze about, they aren't making you study intensively right off the bat.

I have additional support in college due to my autism and am slightly worried that this will make my peers see me as getting more help with assignments than them which isn't the case.
I have no control or idea what your peers will think of you. If you need the extra support due to your circumstances, then it's justified.

I think this depends more on the individual. Personally, I found the daily planner adequate when I did my course. The weekly one would be too brief.
Should you use both in conjuction, I would use the daily planner as your main planner and the weekly planner more for self reflection (but that's more to do with self development).

I think you have overpacked, but then again it depends on the individual. When I started, I kept a day folder, refill pad, a planner, a calculator, and some pens. In retrospect, I should have just took the pad and a couple of pens (assuming they both worked) - the calculator app on my phone was adequate and they had computers where we could do the more complex calculations on (not that the calculations were particularly difficult).

Having said that, my experience in doing a Science Access would be different to yours in Education. I don't know how similiar they would be, but the above should serve as a good proxy.
Reply 2
I have just finished unit one in this course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending