The Student Room Group

government and Politics

"Explain two ways as to how the Prime Minister Questions holds the executive to account" (10 marks)
How do I structure My answer.
It differs to what your exam board want really. I only did AQA politics so I'm not sure if want the exam boards want are different.
If I was approaching this I would I would split it up, 5 marks for each answer. Then split up each point to make sure you cover everything the exam board wants.

For example...

x Point: One way is "it forces the executive to explain their actions in an open and televised debate"
x Example of when this has happened:...
x Explanation/analysis of this: ...Therefore PMQ's ideally stops the executive making rash decisions as they will have to explain their actions to the nation
x Counter analysis: Of course the effectiveness of PMQ's has been called into question as the opposition get only 6 questions... little opportunity for detailed answers makes avoiding the questions rather easy...

Then repeat for point two

x Point: Another way that... is the weekly and open nature of questions (questions are not submitted beforehand) that forces the executive to be mindful of all departments at all times.
x Example:
x Explanation/analysis of this: An executive which has to be aware of all department workings is likely to be more effective and unlikely to make unpopular decisions as it could be called out on any one of them. It also creates an atmosphere where they cannot plead ignorance to different department workings, making them unlikely to pursue unpopular ideas which will be linked back to them.
x Counter analysis: Random nature of the ballot could mean some issues are overlooked.

These aren't great points or analysis but it's just to give an idea of how I would structure it. No more than a sentence/two sentences for each bullet point.

Hope this helps xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending