The Student Room Group

University of Bristol or Barts for medicine

I have offers from both University of Bristol and QMUL Barts and to be honest I wasn’t impressed with either of them, can people who studied medicine at either help me choose?
Original post by S.Nicholls
I have offers from both University of Bristol and QMUL Barts and to be honest I wasn’t impressed with either of them, can people who studied medicine at either help me choose?

What was unimpressive about them?
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
What was unimpressive about them?

At Bristol I didn’t like how the medical campus was very disconnected across the city, and some of the interviewers seemed a bit condescending during the Mmi. I quite liked the Campus at Barts and the people I spoke to were very polite and kind, but the area and accommodation choices were a downside for me. I’m hoping to hear some positive things you like about the schools though.
Original post by S.Nicholls
At Bristol I didn’t like how the medical campus was very disconnected across the city, and some of the interviewers seemed a bit condescending during the Mmi. I quite liked the Campus at Barts and the people I spoke to were very polite and kind, but the area and accommodation choices were a downside for me. I’m hoping to hear some positive things you like about the schools though.

Well, as a disclaimer I didn't go to either (although I did attend QMUL for my BSc before starting medicine).

I think you should disregard the interviewer thing. Some people adopt a very different personality when they become an interviewer (or examiner) and I don't think it's something that should factor into your decision making. Despite their condescension they gave you an offer so it can't have been that bad, could it? The campus being spread out is a more legitimate concern but I think you're likely to end up doing a lot of commuting wherever you go in all honesty, that's just what it's like at big medical schools.

Personally I really enjoyed my time living in East London (I lived in Stepney and Mile End and for a few months also Charterhouse Square). The East End is not a genteel area, but then again few universities in inner London are entirely based in pretty locations (first prize goes to LBS). It is, however, a fun area to be a student and the range of good food and culture is pretty unparalleled. The transport links are very good and rent is still probably cheaper than many other areas of inner London - though it's probably caught up a lot in recent years due to gentrification. What's the worry with the accommodation? Presumably you are assigned to halls for first year and then you'd find somewhere to share after that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending