The Student Room Group

Alevel choices

Hey,I’m in yr 12 and I have picked a level maths chemistry and biology.First I picked English lit instead of maths but then I switched.I enjoy both maths and English lit.I got grade 7 for both subjects and I want to do medicine in uni.However, I still unsure if I should change back to English because I rlly did enjoy it and I feel like it will help me with my writing.Maths could help me with biology and chemistry and most medical school see bio chem and maths very competitive.Could someone help me choose what I should do?
Original post by Hana_10
Hey,I’m in yr 12 and I have picked a level maths chemistry and biology.First I picked English lit instead of maths but then I switched.I enjoy both maths and English lit.I got grade 7 for both subjects and I want to do medicine in uni.However, I still unsure if I should change back to English because I rlly did enjoy it and I feel like it will help me with my writing.Maths could help me with biology and chemistry and most medical school see bio chem and maths very competitive.Could someone help me choose what I should do?

If you can handle 4 subjects, I would suggest maths, english lit, bio and chem.
Reply 2
Original post by Hana_10

It honestly does not really Matter you just Need chemistry and biology unless you want to Go to cambridge then you should Pick maths out of the Two which One do you know you are going to get an A in if you can you can see How much you like both of them By Picking 4 alevels then drop One in year 13 if your school allows that.
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
If you can handle 4 subjects, I would suggest maths, english lit, bio and chem.

My school doesn’t allow 4 subjects
Original post by Hana_10
My school doesn’t allow 4 subjects

If you love eng lit, you can self-study it.
Reply 5
Original post by ricky joe
It honestly does not really Matter you just Need chemistry and biology unless you want to Go to cambridge then you should Pick maths out of
the Two which One do you know you are going to get an A in if you can you can see How much you like both of them By Picking 4 alevels then drop One in year 13 if your school allows that.

My school doesn’t allow 4 and I do want to go to queen Mary university
Reply 6
Original post by Hana_10
My school doesn’t allow 4 and I do want to go to queen Mary university

Belfast or barts
Reply 7
Original post by Wired_1800
If you love eng lit, you can self-study it.

Should I self study maths instead?
Original post by Hana_10
Should I self study maths instead?

I am not an expert but I think you would need a good maths preparation for medicine.

Maybe @04MR17 could provide some sage advice.
Reply 9
Original post by Hana_10

i woudlnt do 4 a-levels, it's not worth the effort. doing maths gives you more options of where to apply and some unis will prefer that. but if you really like eng compared to maths, you can absolutely go with it. I know someone who did biochem art and got into oxford medicine
Reply 10
Original post by ricky joe
Belfast or barts

Barts
Flip a coin.

Heads is Maths
Tails is English

If you find yourself happy with the outcome, that's the choice you go with.

If you find yourself disappointed with the outcome, go with the other.

Or flip the coin again to be sure.

You don't need Maths for Medicine. Majority of med schools won't be bothered what your third subject is - the grade just needs to be high. So maybe instead of what you enjoy most, it should be about what you will be best at for the exam?

I always advise against doing four. It can be done, but it's better to have three excellent A Levels than four good ones.
Reply 12
Original post by Hana_10
Barts

Nice I am in year 12 I like barts too and am also looking to apply for medicine I choose bio chem and psych you only Need bio and chem Pick the One you feel youll do better in sure a level maths is going to be Needed in uni however if you like English lit more you may be more likely to do better in that but English lit is more content chem and bio are already content heavy maths may fit better into it
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest