The Student Room Group

Social anxiety

Long post. Short story I want to go to the doctors to get help but I find I cannot physically make my body do it.

I’m pretty sure I have social anxiety (and depression but rn I’m fine with that), and I’ve had it for as long as I can remember. Previously I’ve always thought I’ll just live with it, however these past 2 years it’s been getting worse.

I’m at uni, and I find I’m unable to leave my room to go downstairs and make food without having an anxiety attack (at least I think that’s what it is). I can leave in the morning to go to uni, I can leave to go to the bathroom or shower (though I tend to stand by my door for a few minutes to make sure no one is on the landing), and I can sort of leave to go shopping (again I wait until there is no one there) and even then it scares me to leave as closing the door makes a sound, so they know I’ve left (It’s the same for entering the house).

I am underweight. I Know I don’t eat properly when I’m at uni. What I do eat tends to be junk food I store in my room, and the occasional bit of fruit.
My hot meals include rice when I’m the only one home, and occasionally porridge in the mornings it’s only me in the house.
I don’t bother buying food I need to cook anymore, it goes off before I can bring myself to go down and cook it.

I want to go to the doctors and get some sort of tablet. I will not take my parents as they seem to believe mental illness is fake (despite both of them having had depression at some point, and one of them getting help for it).
I do not want any kind of face to face therapy. I can’t do that. And I’m pretty sure it won’t work on me.
I don’t want to drag my brother into this, and my sister is far too young, although she’s the only one who seems to realise something is wrong 😅.

Is there a way I can get help without having to phone up the doctors, or walk into the doctors to either make an appointment or speak to them about what’s wrong? Something like texting maybe? I really don’t know.
I think I might be ok to go in if they have diagnosed me, but I can’t really be sure?

I’m willing to have a go at taking tablets, but currently I can’t actually swallow them which I know is stupid but it does work.

Sorry again for the long post. And thanks in advance for any kind of help.
Original post by Anonymous
Long post. Short story I want to go to the doctors to get help but I find I cannot physically make my body do it.

I’m pretty sure I have social anxiety (and depression but rn I’m fine with that), and I’ve had it for as long as I can remember. Previously I’ve always thought I’ll just live with it, however these past 2 years it’s been getting worse.

I’m at uni, and I find I’m unable to leave my room to go downstairs and make food without having an anxiety attack (at least I think that’s what it is). I can leave in the morning to go to uni, I can leave to go to the bathroom or shower (though I tend to stand by my door for a few minutes to make sure no one is on the landing), and I can sort of leave to go shopping (again I wait until there is no one there) and even then it scares me to leave as closing the door makes a sound, so they know I’ve left (It’s the same for entering the house).

I am underweight. I Know I don’t eat properly when I’m at uni. What I do eat tends to be junk food I store in my room, and the occasional bit of fruit.
My hot meals include rice when I’m the only one home, and occasionally porridge in the mornings it’s only me in the house.
I don’t bother buying food I need to cook anymore, it goes off before I can bring myself to go down and cook it.

I want to go to the doctors and get some sort of tablet. I will not take my parents as they seem to believe mental illness is fake (despite both of them having had depression at some point, and one of them getting help for it).
I do not want any kind of face to face therapy. I can’t do that. And I’m pretty sure it won’t work on me.
I don’t want to drag my brother into this, and my sister is far too young, although she’s the only one who seems to realise something is wrong 😅.

Is there a way I can get help without having to phone up the doctors, or walk into the doctors to either make an appointment or speak to them about what’s wrong? Something like texting maybe? I really don’t know.
I think I might be ok to go in if they have diagnosed me, but I can’t really be sure?

I’m willing to have a go at taking tablets, but currently I can’t actually swallow them which I know is stupid but it does work.

Something you could do is an online consultation with your GP or someone you seek advice from. If contacting ur GP, you can either do this on their website or via email. They tend to reply really quickly (this can be by email or phone.) A positive with having this online consultation with the GP is that they can prescribe you something which you can collect.
I've done this recently (however it was only for some ear drops.)
Reply 3
Book an appointment with your GP. Your parents don't have to know. Sometimes with anxiety you have to force yourself to do things you know will cause you short term heightened anxiety for longer term gain.

How come you don't want therapy? I'd be happy to quell any concerns about it if you want to discuss them. I think being socially anxious and avoiding a therapeutic relationship will only serve to reinforce your anxiety and medication can only do so much. Obviously, it's your choice, but out right banning it would be doing yourself a potentially large disservice.
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
Book an appointment with your GP. Your parents don't have to know. Sometimes with anxiety you have to force yourself to do things you know will cause you short term heightened anxiety for longer term gain.

How come you don't want therapy? I'd be happy to quell any concerns about it if you want to discuss them. I think being socially anxious and avoiding a therapeutic relationship will only serve to reinforce your anxiety and medication can only do so much. Obviously, it's your choice, but out right banning it would be doing yourself a potentially large disservice.

I guess it’s the social aspect of it again. Mainly being forced to sit in a room with someone I don’t know and made to talk about my feelings (and possibly pay for it too).
I don’t like doing that anyway, but being forced into that situation for the explicit purpose of talking about feelings just feels horrible.

But I get what you mean about forcing yourself for longer term gain.

Thank you x
Reply 5
Original post by Sameera714
Something you could do is an online consultation with your GP or someone you seek advice from. If contacting ur GP, you can either do this on their website or via email. They tend to reply really quickly (this can be by email or phone.) A positive with having this online consultation with the GP is that they can prescribe you something which you can collect.

Thank you, I’ll look into that
Original post by Anonymous

Check out this thread which I hope will help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5847302

Quick Reply

Latest