The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Life as a student at University of Edinburgh

Hey I wanted to know a little bit about the student life at Edinburgh. How the university is and the general lifestyle at Edinburgh. And is it easy to find part time jobs as an international student?
You could look at some youtubers online as they do some in the day of a life of a (Insert uni) student
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Honestly, Edinburgh is a really great place to go for uni. The best thing about edi is how compact it is. Everything you need is within walking distance or a very short bus ride and a lot of people cycle. As its quite a busy centre finding good accommodation at a decent price can be hard but everyone always ends up with good flats. You have a few parks in the city centre which are lovely. If you end up living in marchmont you will walk through the meadows everyday to uni or you can go to Arthur's seat and Holyrood park for a walk next to the parliament and the pond with the swans. There's a lot of culture in Edinburgh with a good few interesting museums and galleries and ofc the Fringe which you must experience at least once because the whole of uni and Edinburgh turns into a living breathing centre of art and culture. There are plenty of cafes and uni buildings to study in. The university has its careers hub which is an online platform for finding jobs. I'm from Scotland but I have managed to get a couple of jobs over the years no problem. Obviously there's always jobs going at the fringe and a lot of jobs on campus as well. I would recommend tutoring online though because that means you can work from home when you are super busy. Let me know if you have any specific questions though!
Original post by Parimalpani
Hey I wanted to know a little bit about the student life at Edinburgh. How the university is and the general lifestyle at Edinburgh. And is it easy to find part time jobs as an international student?

I grew up and did my undergrad in Edinburgh. It really is an amazing city. Everyone that I've spoken to has absolutely loved their time here. People from London, Wales, either of the Irelands, Spain, France, Japan, China, Hong Kong, India etc. The city is extremely safe and very open to internationals. It's also quite compact, so you can walk to wherever you want to go instead of spending money on the public transport.

I know quite a lot of my international friends had part time jobs as well! The only thing I'd say is that Edinburgh can be rather expensive. It's definitely not as pricey as London, but it's still up there. Make sure your finances are up to scratch! :rambo:

If you choose to Edinburgh, you'll have a wonderful time here. I sometimes wish I wasn't born here so I could appreciate just how lovely it is. :moon:
Reply 4
I did my masters here and I really loved it. Found it so much more student friendly than Dublin where i did my undergrad.The main difficulty i think is accommodation but once you sort that, its all good. I managed to get a job here within a week by just handing out my cvs in shops which had signs up looking for new staff. As long as you have set up UK bank account and you proof to work here many shops and bars will not mind that your international.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending