The Student Room Group

How to react?

I don’t know how to react when people cry I always just stand there and look, I never know what to say.. how do I learn?
Reply 1
I was in the same boat as you before. I could never do more than pat their back but I've improved a lot. Try understand their situation and how they feel. If you were in their shoes how would you want to be reassured? Sometimes saying that it's going to be okay just doesn't cut it and if there's nothing you can do to help their situation, just show them that you're there for them.

Maybe ask a family member or close friend if you can practice with them?
Reply 2
Original post by ohnojay
I was in the same boat as you before. I could never do more than pat their back but I've improved a lot. Try understand their situation and how they feel. If you were in their shoes how would you want to be reassured? Sometimes saying that it's going to be okay just doesn't cut it and if there's nothing you can do to help their situation, just show them that you're there for them.

Maybe ask a family member or close friend if you can practice with them?

The problem is that my mother and sister are often fighting and not normal fighting like serious fighting and my sister often ends up crying and I never know what to tell her especially because I don’t want to talk bad about my mother :/
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
The problem is that my mother and sister are often fighting and not normal fighting like serious fighting and my sister often ends up crying and I never know what to tell her especially because I don’t want to talk bad about my mother :/

Maybe just show her that you're there for her, no matter what happens. Have you speaking to your mum about how all the fighting is affecting you and your sister?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending