The Student Room Group

Do you make notes when doing Wider Reading?

I’ve been doing some wider reading on economics and have been making notes for each chapter (2-4 A5 pages). I don’t feel as though I am taking much of it in and am wasting my time.

I was wondering if other people make notes when doing wider reading.
Original post by Jacob960
I’ve been doing some wider reading on economics and have been making notes for each chapter (2-4 A5 pages). I don’t feel as though I am taking much of it in and am wasting my time.

I was wondering if other people make notes when doing wider reading.

Depends on the purpose of the reading. Normally I have a reason for doing so.
I tend to read documents and highlight or tag important or what I will believe are relevant portions of text and put the article aside. I would only make notes if I was using the article for more than referral, but highlighting and being organised tends to be enough for me.
The only notes I might make are kind of tag notes in my main studies, which alert me to the article and what it might say.
All depends how important the new reading is and whether it belongs in your notes or not.
I usually read something first without taking notes because otherwise it would take forever and you wouldn't ever finish reading it. I might briefly highlight or underline or mark certain areas of interest but that's it. After my initial reading, I try to think about it as a whole and then I go back to points of interest (if any).

It's very, very easy to get bogged down with irrelevant readings. You'll have to mostly skim through wider reading and if they genuinely seem useful, then you can properly read it and take it in.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest