The Student Room Group

Earth sciences at uni....how do I prepare?

I want to ensure that this is the degree for me. any suggestions as to what I should do/read/watch? Any documentaries or anything you would recommend ? Thank you:smile::smile:
Original post by vix.xvi
I want to ensure that this is the degree for me. any suggestions as to what I should do/read/watch? Any documentaries or anything you would recommend ? Thank you:smile::smile:

Do you have a specific interest within Earth Sciences? My main interest is in earthquakes so I mostly read about books about those (my favourite was Earthquake Storms). A classic book is How to build a habitable planet which gives a good overview of a lot of earth sciences but is very long! I never managed to soldier through it, but if you can then I would recommend reading it! I also read a planet in a pebble. Colliding continents is another good book more about mountain building.
Chris Jackson is a professor at Imperial and gave a talk at the Royal Institution which I thought was very good, and is now available on youtube: https://youtu.be/jYuA_2SEokI It's worth looking at the Royal Institutions youtube channel more generally, as they have lots of fascinating talks recorded.
He also helped present Expedition Volcano which was on the BBC a few years ago, but comes around every so often and is worth a watch (it might be available to watch online, IDK).
Podcasts are another good avenue to explore- the department of Earth Sciences at Oxford has some available and I also listened to some episodes of BBC Radio 4's In Our Time and Inside Science. If you've got an Apple device, then the podcasts app now contains a lot of what used to be in iTunes U so have a search for lectures.

I also always like to recommend that people have a think about their local geology (or somewhere you are familiar with) and have a look for resources on that, as this echoes some of the ideas of a field trip where you put what you have learned into context.
Original post by Headingtonian
Do you have a specific interest within Earth Sciences? My main interest is in earthquakes so I mostly read about books about those (my favourite was Earthquake Storms). A classic book is How to build a habitable planet which gives a good overview of a lot of earth sciences but is very long! I never managed to soldier through it, but if you can then I would recommend reading it! I also read a planet in a pebble. Colliding continents is another good book more about mountain building.
Chris Jackson is a professor at Imperial and gave a talk at the Royal Institution which I thought was very good, and is now available on youtube: https://youtu.be/jYuA_2SEokI It's worth looking at the Royal Institutions youtube channel more generally, as they have lots of fascinating talks recorded.
He also helped present Expedition Volcano which was on the BBC a few years ago, but comes around every so often and is worth a watch (it might be available to watch online, IDK).
Podcasts are another good avenue to explore- the department of Earth Sciences at Oxford has some available and I also listened to some episodes of BBC Radio 4's In Our Time and Inside Science. If you've got an Apple device, then the podcasts app now contains a lot of what used to be in iTunes U so have a search for lectures.

I also always like to recommend that people have a think about their local geology (or somewhere you are familiar with) and have a look for resources on that, as this echoes some of the ideas of a field trip where you put what you have learned into context.

Thank you so much! I'll definitely be checking out the things you have recommended :smile::smile: have a good day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending