The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How competitive is UCL admissions?

In comparison to Oxbridge/Imperial - which I know takes far more than simply the grades to receive an offer, how competitive are UCL admissions in general and for specific courses? I'm applying from the US and I have the minimum grades for their Earth Science course which I applied to back in September but I'm not sure if that's all it takes or if there's a lot more to it. Imperial rejected my pre-interview although I had the grades and people told me that for the course having the grades and paying more as an international should be enough to at least get an interview so I'm concerned about UCL.
Original post by Anonymous
In comparison to Oxbridge/Imperial - which I know takes far more than simply the grades to receive an offer, how competitive are UCL admissions in general and for specific courses? I'm applying from the US and I have the minimum grades for their Earth Science course which I applied to back in September but I'm not sure if that's all it takes or if there's a lot more to it. Imperial rejected my pre-interview although I had the grades and people told me that for the course having the grades and paying more as an international should be enough to at least get an interview so I'm concerned about UCL.

Uni's admissions departments work in mysterious and crazy ways and what one university does isn't indicative of what others might do - the first time I applied to university, the only place that interviewed me was Oxford. Was summarily rejected everywhere else :s-smilie: You just can't tell what the admissions people think!

UCL is competitive but as long as you meet the published entry requirements, you stand a chance at receiving an offer. I'd also assume that Earth Sciences is a relatively niche degree that doesn't get a lot of applicants, a fact betrayed by the slightly lower entry requirement this course has compared to most other UCL degrees, so this should improve your odds :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi sweetheart!! So I applied for health sciences October 4th and I’m also yet to hear anything back and it’s been well over 3 months. I had a meeting with admissions today and due to equal consideration they tend to wait till all the applications are in before making a majority of the offers. Most people who have offers right now are those with VERY high predicted grades. I did some research and your course doesn’t get many applicants and has an acceptance rate of around 80%!! 🎉 If you meet the requirements u have nothing to worry about :smile:) Abroad students are considered highly so I think you’ll be okay.

I did some more digging and in 2022 one of the first earth science offers was given on the 2nd of february, another on the 22nd of february. So just hold on c: keep us posted!!
As above, UCL tend to give offers quite late very often. I got mine (different department) in May the year I applied!

Not having one yet doesn't mean you won't get one :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi sweetheart!! So I applied for health sciences October 4th and I’m also yet to hear anything back and it’s been well over 3 months. I had a meeting with admissions today and due to equal consideration they tend to wait till all the applications are in before making a majority of the offers. Most people who have offers right now are those with VERY high predicted grades. I did some research and your course doesn’t get many applicants and has an acceptance rate of around 80%!! 🎉 If you meet the requirements u have nothing to worry about :smile:) Abroad students are considered highly so I think you’ll be okay.

I did some more digging and in 2022 one of the first earth science offers was given on the 2nd of february, another on the 22nd of february. So just hold on c: keep us posted!!

As someone who also applied to earth sciences for UCL with predicted grades AAA, i'm not sure if i'll get an offer based on my actual a levels being geography film and drama - the website says two sciences preferred so i'm not massively hopeful haha do you think i have a shot? This was so helpful!
Original post by Alixolotli
As someone who also applied to earth sciences for UCL with predicted grades AAA, i'm not sure if i'll get an offer based on my actual a levels being geography film and drama - the website says two sciences preferred so i'm not massively hopeful haha do you think i have a shot? This was so helpful!

aw your totally okay lovely!! geography is considered a science for an earth science course. you have absolutely nothing to worry about just keep waiting :smile:) is ur personal statement very personalised to earth sciences? that’s what will set u apart from the rest. but 3 A’s is amazing! u should be proud 🩷
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2

I have the requirements in Chemistry and Biology (A* equivalent), plus the Standardized overall test that we take in the US by quite a bit (basically the equivalent of another A*). I'm also predicted the math score (A*) but I called and they told me that if I was made an offer it would be unconditional since I have the requirements. However, I was also told that having the requirements for the course would at least get me an interview at Imperial and I didn't even get that so I'm a bit more worried about UCL.Basically, my grades right now are the equivalent of (A* A A) with another predicted on the way but I know things are very different internationally and anything can happen, especially since they take a long time. It'll be tough to wait so is there anything I can do? If not I have no problem sitting tight.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have the requirements in Chemistry and Biology (A* equivalent), plus the Standardized overall test that we take in the US by quite a bit (basically the equivalent of another A*). I'm also predicted the math score (A*) but I called and they told me that if I was made an offer it would be unconditional since I have the requirements. However, I was also told that having the requirements for the course would at least get me an interview at Imperial and I didn't even get that so I'm a bit more worried about UCL.Basically, my grades right now are the equivalent of (A* A A) with another predicted on the way but I know things are very different internationally and anything can happen, especially since they take a long time. It'll be tough to wait so is there anything I can do? If not I have no problem sitting tight.

*Supposed to say equivalent of A*A*A*
I am in the exact same situation, I have applied to earth sciences at UCL and my subjects are Biology, Psychology and German. Unfortunately psychology isn't considered a science at UCL unlike many other universities. My predicted is A*A*A but I'm hoping to achieve A*AA. I haven't heard back from UCl yet nor know of anyone who has for earth science. I Asked at the open day and thr admissions tutor told me that I still have a chance of getting in depending on how many people apply and those who have 2 sciences will get priority depending on their grades I think. But it is a very niche course so hopefully they have enough places for people without 2 sciences.
Original post by ellawheeler
I am in the exact same situation, I have applied to earth sciences at UCL and my subjects are Biology, Psychology and German. Unfortunately psychology isn't considered a science at UCL unlike many other universities. My predicted is A*A*A but I'm hoping to achieve A*AA. I haven't heard back from UCl yet nor know of anyone who has for earth science. I Asked at the open day and thr admissions tutor told me that I still have a chance of getting in depending on how many people apply and those who have 2 sciences will get priority depending on their grades I think. But it is a very niche course so hopefully they have enough places for people without 2 sciences.

https://www.admissionreport.com/university-college-london/bsc-earth-sciences

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending