The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language

so my teacher had given me this homework which is due next Monday which is to write a piece about ' describing yourself'. she didn't give any picture prompt and all she said was to write a piece describing yourself. I really need help with this because I don't understand what to do when you are not given a picture prompt. can someone help me by giving tips on how to start and write this piece? I would appreciate it as well if anyone could give me like an example short paragraph ( not that long) so I understand how to start and do it. thanks :smile:
I think the point is that it's vague, so you can take it in whatever direction you want! So you could describe yourself physically, personality-wise, describe your life story, describe yourself through a narrator who may or may not be reliable, describe yourself via the people in your life....

You could start by writing down things about yourself you want to include, eg 'I want to study English' or 'I have a pet dog'.
I'm not sure about this honestly but I would just submit something along the lines of:

'He sat at the piano, a look of confusion on his face. The family passed around him, different reactions from each: the parents looked at him with a newfound respect for his tenacity; his older brother, an incredulous snort. It was already late afternoon, the sun had impaled itself on the city skyline and was bleeding out, staining the dark sky orange. A torturous hour had passed but it was just not enough: again his hands reached out to try to play, the same passage over and over again. The music started to blur, just a wall of sound and no longer the graceful piece he had heard when he picked it. Outside the birds start to tire in their singing, the avian chorus slowly fading away.'

My logic is that for the language paper we do a descriptive piece of writing, which is the closest thing to this task, I guess.
(since it's a descriptive I think you should keep the scene the same, and describe all the senses and stuff)
Original post by becausethenight
I think the point is that it's vague, so you can take it in whatever direction you want! So you could describe yourself physically, personality-wise, describe your life story, describe yourself through a narrator who may or may not be reliable, describe yourself via the people in your life....

You could start by writing down things about yourself you want to include, eg 'I want to study English' or 'I have a pet dog'.

Oh hiya!
Original post by frankidoodles123
I'm not sure about this honestly but I would just submit something along the lines of:

'He sat at the piano, a look of confusion on his face. The family passed around him, different reactions from each: the parents looked at him with a newfound respect for his tenacity; his older brother, an incredulous snort. It was already late afternoon, the sun had impaled itself on the city skyline and was bleeding out, staining the dark sky orange. A torturous hour had passed but it was just not enough: again his hands reached out to try to play, the same passage over and over again. The music started to blur, just a wall of sound and no longer the graceful piece he had heard when he picked it. Outside the birds start to tire in their singing, the avian chorus slowly fading away.'

My logic is that for the language paper we do a descriptive piece of writing, which is the closest thing to this task, I guess.
(since it's a descriptive I think you should keep the scene the same, and describe all the senses and stuff)

Of course I might be over-complicating this and it might be what becausethenight is suggesting... I dunno tbh
Original post by frankidoodles123
Of course I might be over-complicating this and it might be what becausethenight is suggesting... I dunno tbh

No you're right to link it back to the exam requirements - my thinking was it doesn't sound like an exam question, so best to just follow the task and show your writing ability (ie varied sentence structure).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending