The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2021 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barday
Btw how many days before the interview did they emailed you? Did u get time to prepare for it?

I found out Friday I had an interview for following Wednesday, which I thought was enough. Then, I found out next day (today) that I’m in.
Original post by C_L_W
That’s great news! Congratulations 🥳

Thank you 😊
Congratulations!
Original post by tinygirl96
Congratulations!

Thank you 😊
Just sent my application to Uni of Bristol, UWE and UWTSD in Swansea. Any ideas how long it will be before I hear whether I have an interview or not?
Reply 205
Original post by Cookie0799
Just sent my application to Uni of Bristol, UWE and UWTSD in Swansea. Any ideas how long it will be before I hear whether I have an interview or not?

Depends on the provider. Some people here have got everything sorted in just a week and others are still waiting for an interview call..
Reply 206
Original post by Cookie0799

I’ve heard back from my Local SCITT provider but haven’t heard anything from Bath uni.
I just heard back from Worcester offering me a interview for next week! Just BCU left now, to hear back from!
Original post by Arianax
just heard back from Worcester offering me a interview for next week! Just BCU left now, to hear back from!

I have an interview with Worcester for next week 😊
Original post by RedWarrioress
I have an interview with Worcester for next week 😊

Well done! What have you applied for?
Original post by Arianax
Well done! What have you applied for?

History but it's a schools direct with them. Yourself?
I have received and accepted an offer from the University of Manchester for Secondary Mathematics.

They were extremely efficient with everything. I received an interview within 24 hours of my application which was arranged for the following week. The interview was split into three sections:

1. Presentation as to why you should choose this course with more details about the course such as how many placements you’ll do and when.

2. A 5 minute presentation about how you’d teach one of the given mathematical topics you received in the interview email

3. A 1 to 1 interview

Within another 24 hours I was given my offer.

I wish I had remembered this site existed, it would have saved me so much stress since I did it pretty much solo. I haven’t been here in over 6 years.

PS For those still waiting my other two choices were a bit slower. One sent an email saying they’re processing my application and then offered an interview for November 11th (close to a month after my application was sent) and the other said nothing until one day they also offered me an Interview for November 12th. Both of these interviews were offered close to two weeks after my application. So don’t worry if you didn’t get a reply instantly like some of us!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 212
Original post by JordanS94
I have received and accepted an offer from the University of Manchester for Secondary Mathematics.

They were extremely efficient with everything. I received an interview within 24 hours of my application which was arranged for the following week. The interview was split into three sections:

1. Presentation as to why you should choose this course with more details about the course such as how many placements you’ll do and when.

2. A 5 minute presentation about how you’d teach one of the given mathematical topics you received in the interview email

3. A 1 to 1 interview

I wish I had remembered this site existed, it would have saved me so much stress since I did it pretty much everything solo. I haven’t been here in over 6 years.

PS For those still waiting my other two choices were a bit slower. One sent an email saying they’re processing my application and then offered an interview for November 11th (close to a month after my application was sent) and the other said nothing until one day they also offered me an Interview for November 12th. Both of these interviews were offered close to two weeks after my application. So don’t worry if you didn’t get a reply instantly like some of us!

Hey that was so helpful especially the interview process. Thanks a lot. And yeah...CONGRATULATIONS!
Original post by RedWarrioress
History but it's a schools direct with them. Yourself?

Good luck 😊

I’ve applied for PGCE Primary (5-11). It’s university led.

3. A 1 to 1 interview

I wish I had remembered this site existed, it would have saved me so much stress since I did it pretty much everything solo. I haven’t been here in over 6 years.

Congrats :smile:

If you want something to read in anticipation for starting the course, How I Wish I Taught Maths by Craig Barton is one I found really helpful as a trainee.
Hey everyone, thought I'd jump on as I've applied for a SCITT Primary PGCE (3-7). I have my interview next week (!!!) preparing as much as possible. I have to do a 5 minute presentation based on my reasons for choosing teaching and what I believe makes a great teacher. I've had to plan a 20 minute Year 2 lesson for either English/Maths. I won't be expected to teach the lesson because of COVID, so it will be more of a discussion with the interview panel. There will be a scenario task where I'll have opportunities to discuss how I would deal with various situations in the classroom and then finally the face to face interview. My invite also says that candidates will complete an English and a Mathematics audit as part of the training course. I figure this will happen on the interview day? Does anyone have any idea of what this audit entails? I know skills tests have been scrapped, so interested (also scared!) how they'll do this so that I can prepare for it??
Original post by bluebeetle
Congrats :smile:

If you want something to read in anticipation for starting the course, How I Wish I Taught Maths by Craig Barton is one I found really helpful as a trainee.

Thank you! I actually had the book on my radar for a while now so I’ll give it a shot
Original post by HMBurke
Hey everyone, thought I'd jump on as I've applied for a SCITT Primary PGCE (3-7). I have my interview next week (!!!) preparing as much as possible. I have to do a 5 minute presentation based on my reasons for choosing teaching and what I believe makes a great teacher. I've had to plan a 20 minute Year 2 lesson for either English/Maths. I won't be expected to teach the lesson because of COVID, so it will be more of a discussion with the interview panel. There will be a scenario task where I'll have opportunities to discuss how I would deal with various situations in the classroom and then finally the face to face interview. My invite also says that candidates will complete an English and a Mathematics audit as part of the training course. I figure this will happen on the interview day? Does anyone have any idea of what this audit entails? I know skills tests have been scrapped, so interested (also scared!) how they'll do this so that I can prepare for it??

I had to do an English and maths test. I can’t guarantee what it will entail for you personally because each provider is going to be different but if you’ve made it this far it shouldn’t worry you that much. You almost definitely have the ability to pass them. I applied for secondary maths and the ability they tested me at For maths was only AS. English was like GCSE.
I had to do an English and maths test. I can’t guarantee what it will entail for you personally because each provider is going to be different but if you’ve made it this far it shouldn’t worry you that much. You almost definitely have the ability to pass them. I applied for secondary maths and the ability they tested me at For maths was only AS. English was like GCSE.

Thank you for the reassurance and congrats on your offer!

I had a look at other Primary SCITT websites to see how they do their audits, and it seems the Maths and English is at a very basic level. Basically what I would be expected to teach in KS1/2, so hoping mine would be similar.. Maths is definitely a weakness of mine!
Original post by HMBurke
Thank you for the reassurance and congrats on your offer!

I had a look at other Primary SCITT websites to see how they do their audits, and it seems the Maths and English is at a very basic level. Basically what I would be expected to teach in KS1/2, so hoping mine would be similar.. Maths is definitely a weakness of mine!

So I saw a couple of days ago people for primary were only really having to do year 6 and 7 level maths so I'm thinking you'll absolutely smash it! Maths is a huge thing for me too, I really struggled even getting my GCSE so I was so worried about the prospect of having to do a test (avoided so far! Yay).
In other news: I had my interview for secondary history yesterday and got an offer a couple of hours after, I'm so happy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending