The Student Room Group

No, Oxbridge are not the only universities worth going to

This is a thread to dispel the Oxbridge myth in the context of 2020. All over TSR, there are countless posts about how it’s the end of the world of you don’t get in and Oxbridge is the be all and end all. I think it’s been more than proven that this is not the case, even during this pandemic. For example, Oxbridge have not taken a leadership role when it comes to the future delivery of education after the lockdown and policy implications which you would expect from the ‘most prestigious universities’. The data for the basis of the lockdown also came from Imperial and King’s has another medical research group that was set up by the government. LSE has also heavily advised on policy and the economic implications. This shows that the level of ‘prestige’ or status is far more evenly spread than imagined on this forum.

Aside from this, the purpose of this thread is more to say that if you don’t get in, don’t worry as the reality is most universities today have a strategic advantage in something. In the 21st Century, I’d most definitely rank LSE, UCL and Imperial alongside Oxbridge and it’s time that TSR toned down its Oxbridge fantasising and recognise the potential of studying at other institutions too.

Scroll to see replies

Are Oxford researchers not working on a vaccine?
Original post by Kažimir
This is a thread to dispel the Oxbridge myth in the context of 2020. All over TSR, there are countless posts about how it’s the end of the world of you don’t get in and Oxbridge is the be all and end all. I think it’s been more than proven that this is not the case, even during this pandemic. For example, Oxbridge have not taken a leadership role when it comes to the future delivery of education after the lockdown and policy implications which you would expect from the ‘most prestigious universities’. The data for the basis of the lockdown also came from Imperial and King’s has another medical research group that was set up by the government. LSE has also heavily advised on policy and the economic implications. This shows that the level of ‘prestige’ or status is far more evenly spread than imagined on this forum.

Aside from this, the purpose of this thread is more to say that if you don’t get in, don’t worry as the reality is most universities today have a strategic advantage in something. In the 21st Century, I’d most definitely rank LSE, UCL and Imperial alongside Oxbridge and it’s time that TSR toned down its Oxbridge fantasising and recognise the potential of studying at other institutions too.

People feel like it's the end of the world because they had to work so hard to get in i.e. doing entrance exams and interviews which are notoriously harder than other universities. It makes Oxbridge unique and once you're in the process of applying you don't really see yourself going anywhere else because you're so invested.
Original post by Theloniouss
Are Oxford researchers not working on a vaccine?

So is imperial - it was recently awarded over £20 million in funding
Original post by sam72016
People feel like it's the end of the world because they had to work so hard to get in i.e. doing entrance exams and interviews which are notoriously harder than other universities. It makes Oxbridge unique and once you're in the process of applying you don't really see yourself going anywhere else because you're so invested.

I worked just as hard to get into other universities personally. Then again, I wanted a more modern education so Oxbridge was not for me.
No, there are plenty of others too. I was providing examples of how other institutions have stepped up during the pandemic. LSE has been pretty instrumental in deciding online learning and in advising on policy - there’s no agenda here, just observations.
Original post by Kažimir
I worked just as hard to get into other universities personally. Then again, I wanted a more modern education so Oxbridge was not for me.

Of course getting into any university is difficult but I think it's a fact most will agree on, that Oxbridge is the hardest of them all when it comes to most courses. Also with all due respect, you can't really use the term you worked 'just as hard' when you haven't applied, and been through the painstakingly long and difficult process.
PRSOM.

TSR has always been obsessed with Oxbridge - long before I joined. It's a standing joke. You hit the nail on the head when you say 'what would be a good option for the poster who is asking'. If someone was asking me where might be best to study law with a very academic focus, I'd not hesitate to say Cambridge (or Oxford if someone had a gun to my head). If they wanted to do Creative Writing, then I'd be urging them to apply to UEA.

It's horses for courses. But TSR has always struggled with that concept.
Spot on. And wanting to benefit from the supervision system (which is super, by the way), is one of the most valid reasons for choosing Cambridge - it's the differentiating factor.
That's very astute - I agree with the idea. The worst, and most useless posts on the 'which uni should I go for' threads are 'University X because it's RG/the most prestigious' without ever unwrapping what 'prestigious' means.

It's also interesting to note that most people who have no day-to-day dealings with academia have no idea what the Russell Group is until they come to TSR, and see an obsession bordering on paraphilia of it. This is another TSR thing - and I don't think it will ever go.
Original post by Reality Check
That's very astute - I agree with the idea. The worst, and most useless posts on the 'which uni should I go for' threads are 'University X because it's RG/the most prestigious' without ever unwrapping what 'prestigious' means.

It's also interesting to note that most people who have no day-to-day dealings with academia have no idea what the Russell Group is until they come to TSR, and see an obsession bordering on paraphilia of it. This is another TSR thing - and I don't think it will ever go.

i quote my teacher - 'the russell group are a bunch of unis who decided they were special and joined together'. My feelings are the same as - I also want to study medicine (at Oxford tho!) because of the tutorial system but also because of the fantastic foundations in research (having been lucky enough to shadow in John Radcliffe, I'm a big fan on how this translated into clinical practice also as it's a teaching hospital)

The Russel group thing really annoys me. There are plenty of non-RG unis that are ranked better then RG unis. The Russel group is a self selecting research group that has nothing to do with quality of teaching/undergraduate experience. This is what I’ve heard from my parents who are academics anyway.
As with the oxbridge thing. I will be the first to admit I can have snobbish tendencies and when oxbridge came on my radar when I was in year 10 it was 100% a prestige thing. However now I’m coming up to actually applying in the autumn it’s completely shifted. The course I’m applying for is one of a kind (HSPS), the supervision system is the way I like learning and the collegiate system is really appealing to me. There are a lot of oxbridge related threads but I think that has something to do with how different the process is. As with UCL/LSE/ICL like how some people decide oxbridge isn’t for them I’ve decided they aren’t for me (I’m not at all a city gal lol) even though I’ve felt pressure to apply to them over other places I’m applying to (York,Bath,Durham etc).
Original post by RiaWombat
The Russel group thing really annoys me. There are plenty of non-RG unis that are ranked better then RG unis. The Russel group is a self selecting research group that has nothing to do with quality of teaching/undergraduate experience. This is what I’ve heard from my parents who are academics anyway.

This is exactly right. As a marketing term, the Russell Group has been spectacularly successful.

As with the oxbridge thing. I will be the first to admit I can have snobbish tendencies and when oxbridge came on my radar when I was in year 10 it was 100% a prestige thing. However now I’m coming up to actually applying in the autumn it’s completely shifted. The course I’m applying for is one of a kind (HSPS), the supervision system is the way I like learning and the collegiate system is really appealing to me. There are a lot of oxbridge related threads but I think that has something to do with how different the process is. As with UCL/LSE/ICL like how some people decide oxbridge isn’t for them I’ve decided they aren’t for me (I’m not at all a city gal lol) even though I’ve felt pressure to apply to them over other places I’m applying to (York,Bath,Durham etc).

As with @forbearne above, this is the way to pick a university: on what is can offer you as a student, rather than some basing your choice on some magical fairy dust which you hope will brush off onto you. I suspect that Oxbridge applicants are, by definition, pretty switched on to this sort of thing, and most applicants with a realistic chance of admission are picking the university for the right reasons. I do wonder though how many Bristol, Durham, Manchester etc applicants have ticked off RG, 'target' etc off their list to get to their choice of 5.
Original post by Kažimir
For example, Oxbridge have not taken a leadership role when it comes to the future delivery of education after the lockdown and policy implications which you would expect from the ‘most prestigious universities’. The data for the basis of the lockdown also came from Imperial and King’s has another medical research group that was set up by the government. LSE has also heavily advised on policy and the economic implications. This shows that the level of ‘prestige’ or status is far more evenly spread than imagined on this forum.

I probably a bit biassed here because i am going to apply to medicine at Cambridge but they were the first uni to decide to have online lessons for the whole of next year but they keeping their supervision system. I feel that other unis haven't been that as clear on what they are going to do after lockdown is lifted. Also, Imperial, King's and LSE are unis in London and London is the epicentre for the epidemic in the UK so it's probably easier for them obtain scientific or economical data.

Obviously, Oxbridge are not the be all or end all as they are many unis (i.e London unis) which have arguably better opportunities. For example, I know a 3rd year medic at Newcastle who doing a research placement on SARS-CoV-2 effect on patients with cystic fibrosis and UCL has the leading teaching hospital in the UK, UCLH.

I completely agree with you that unis such as Imperial and King's should be considered to be a similar rank to Oxbridge but there are many things that Oxbridge offer that many unis don't.
1. Collegiate System (it's offered in a few other unis such as Durham)
2. Supervision/Tutorial System (most unis have something similar but Oxbridge supervisions are only with around 2-4 people)
3. It's much more academia based which some people may prefer
Are you suggesting he's at LSE? :colondollar:
I've always seen this as a subject related issue. If you're studying a subject that doesn't lead directly to a specific career path, then the prestige of Oxbridge may help you stand out. For example, from an engineer's perspective the university you went to is completely trivial. If the course is accredited, you got a first or 2:1 and you've proven your competence by taking on some personal projects, an employer is not going to care about your university. This is just an observation, I might be wrong. Aside from that, I think excluding so many students at the application stage (by making the application stage harder than it needs to be) is foolish. There are many 17 year olds who don't want to go through such a long drawn out process, but who, given the the opportunity, could do amazing things in such an institute. And it's not just because they're too lazy to apply. My school had a whole department dedicated to getting students into Oxbridge- how can a student who has no access to resources like that compete with one who does? I know I'm not the first person ever to point out Oxbridge exclusivity but I actually think this should be a reason to consider not applying. At my university I work with people with a range of academic backgrounds- some who failed their A-levels, some who got three A*'s- and its really about 50% of each group contributing to firsts and 2:1s in the department.
I wouldn't accept that, given its not true at all :tongue:

The performance in doctor's exams, both written and clinical, varies substantially according to which med school you went to. https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1741-7015-6-5
https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/reports-and-reviews/progression-reports

The content taught at med school does also vary quite a lot.

Original post by xsowmix
I probably a bit biassed here because i am going to apply to medicine at Cambridge but they were the first uni to decide to have online lessons for the whole of next year but they keeping their supervision system.

I agree - Cambridge very much did lead on this. And Oxford is very much leading in both vaccine development, vaccine manufacture and antiviral trials. OP picked a very unfortunate time to try to demonstrate that Oxbridge aren't leading the country!

Obviously, Oxbridge are not the be all or end all as they are many unis (i.e London unis) which have arguably better opportunities. For example, I know a 3rd year medic at Newcastle who doing a research placement on SARS-CoV-2 effect on patients with cystic fibrosis

I mean... a research project is literally built into the 3rd year course at Oxford, and there will be similar opportunities elsewhere. That is not a unique example :tongue:

1. Collegiate System (it's offered in a few other unis such as Durham)
2. Supervision/Tutorial System (most unis have something similar but Oxbridge supervisions are only with around 2-4 people)

I think you're far too generous with these two. Durham's college system is nothing like Oxbridge, and a "tutorial" with 12-30 people is absolutely nothing like an actual tutorial with 2.

The other major way in which Oxbridge is different is selection process. Oxbridge conducts massive interviews each year as well as dedicated exams. I think anyone trying to argue x uni is as good as Oxbridge (overall), surely stumbles at the first block - why does e.g. UCL just let people in without properly assessing them then? You aren't going to get the best students until you actually try to get the best students.

Anyway - this was a very pro-Oxbridge post. I agree with the sentiments of the thread. What is actually meant by prestige. Is that actually what you want.
Original post by nexttime
I wouldn't accept that, given its not true at all :tongue:

The performance in doctor's exams, both written and clinical, varies substantially according to which med school you went to. https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1741-7015-6-5
https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/reports-and-reviews/progression-reports

The content taught at med school does also vary quite a lot.

I agree - Cambridge very much did lead on this. And Oxford is very much leading in both vaccine development, vaccine manufacture and antiviral trials. OP picked a very unfortunate time to try to demonstrate that Oxbridge aren't leading the country!

I mean... a research project is literally built into the 3rd year course at Oxford, and there will be similar opportunities elsewhere. That is not a unique example :tongue:

I think you're far too generous with these two. Durham's college system is nothing like Oxbridge, and a "tutorial" with 12-30 people is absolutely nothing like an actual tutorial with 2.

The other major way in which Oxbridge is different is selection process. Oxbridge conducts massive interviews each year as well as dedicated exams. I think anyone trying to argue x uni is as good as Oxbridge (overall), surely stumbles at the first block - why does e.g. UCL just let people in without properly assessing them then? You aren't going to get the best students until you actually try to get the best students.

Anyway - this was a very pro-Oxbridge post. I agree with the sentiments of the thread. What is actually meant by prestige. Is that actually what you want.

PRSOM.

I think it's just a fascination with difference and heirarchy. These are normal human preoccupations in many areas of life, but students happen to obsess more over such things in a university context and hence the absorption with which university is above which and so on.

I don't it's unrealistic though, if you want to do well in life, to want the best start in all respects. Whilst employers may not typically be all that clued up on the RG or the precise league table placing of St Andrews - vs - Leeds, they often to have general impressions about the 'better' universities and that matters to some. The big change over recent decades has been the push towards corporate in-house testing as the basis for recruitment, with a 'good degree' being only the first thing in entry and not a very important thing at that. Another change has been a general reduction in the once desperately widespread tendency for Oxbridge-dominated places to employ only Oxbridge types, ranging from the Beeb to the Foreign Office and from investment banks to the secret services.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think it's just a fascination with difference and heirarchy. These are normal human preoccupations in many areas of life, but students happen to obsess more over such things in a university context and hence the absorption with which university is above which and so on.

I don't it's unrealistic though, if you want to do well in life, to want the best start in all respects. Whilst employers may not typically be all that clued up on the RG or the precise league table placing of St Andrews - vs - Leeds, they often to have general impressions about the 'better' universities and that matters to some. The big change over recent decades has been the push towards corporate in-house testing as the basis for recruitment, with a 'good degree' being only the first thing in entry and not a very important thing at that. Another change has been a general reduction in the once desperately widespread tendency for Oxbridge-dominated places to employ only Oxbridge types, ranging from the Beeb to the Foreign Office and from investment banks to the secret services.

This is a great post - thank you for replying to me :smile: I used to work for the BBC, a million years ago, and it was hugely dominated by Oxbridge, and more Oxford than Cambridge in my experience. From what I know of the corporation now, they've got a much broader intake in many areas, but some still remain rather traditional and look for candidates in a very small pool of talent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending