The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm emmmmylie82905000 and so's my wife.
Reply 1801
musicbloke
Only at weekends (but then I often find it difficult to get rid of the fake tan on Monday mornings, so continue to go about in high heels, 2 inches of eyeliner, loopy earings, and 12.5 inch patent stilettos just so I don't look completely stupid.)

MB

I now have a whole new image of prestige whores.
hobnob
Ah, but you were our brilliant proto-GOG.:wink:

To be honest, I don't think it will, really. I usually have a fairly good sense of when I've messed up. But thanks anyway.:smile:

Hehe re: the first point. Think positive about the second :p:
Jangrafess
Hey Zaf! I was about to text you earlier, because I was sure you were meant to be back ages ago. How's life been, man?

Yeah I was, but I extended my stay so I just got back yesterday. The actual trip was pretty awesome, and I loved every moment. The downside is that I'm still jetlagged, aching everywhere and generally a bit rubbish, healthwise. Though I have finally enrolled yesterday having queued up for 2 hours, so I am officially a postgrad as of yesterday.

How're you?

In response to modnob, yes, I still will be posting in here, and probably only posting in here regularly from now on.
A week ago we (or at least OH, Milady, possibly apot, and myself) were lamenting the faggy training sessions universities like to put their grad students on, with their incredibly patronizing titles worthy of failblog.org (eg. 'How to write an essay': a training seminar for PhD students).

Well, it won't stop when we become lecturers. In fact, it'll get worse. My boyfriend has just had to attend a whole morning session about how to 'proactively observe your colleagues' teaching practices' (read: how to shop your colleagues to management for being **** teachers so they can have their pay docked and you can score brownie points). Anyway. His email to me just now:

Use the card/paper given to you and compose a short "pen picture" of a "challenging feedback situation."'

We turn up for this training session whatever and within a minute we are being broken up into groups for 'role play' and 'discussion'. Just *tell us what we need to know so we can leave*.

This is a guy who refuses to break up his first years into little discussion groups because he feels it patronizes them, and there he is playing pictionary in his brainstorm group for some jobsworth who probably doesn't even have 5 A* - Cs.

And this was off the back of a website design session they made him attend, where the class (of lecturers and professors) were spoken to as if they had learning difficulties for a whole day.

God I hate New Labour.
Well, at least he has a story to tell :smile:

(This is the least-consoling clause in the world.)
Come on DB, you can do better than that! Rant, man!
I dunno... "challenging feedback situation" to me is something like "Was it good for you too?"
:rofl: What about the 'pen picture' to illustrate this?
I'm throughly looking forward to my compulsory hour of "IT induction session" which is tomorrow. Hurrah.

Sounds like your OH is having fun the_alba :rolleyes: Utter madness.
the_alba
Just *tell us what we need to know so we can leave*.

The monosyllables make it work.

Pen picture? I'd like to try, but I reckon Raymond Carver will beat me.
Reply 1811
apotoftea
I'm throughly looking forward to my compulsory hour of "IT induction session" which is tomorrow. Hurrah.

I'm looking forward to having OLIS explained to me yet again - despite the fact that it's really dead simple, so God knows why they feel they have to explain it so often.:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just skip the library inductions...

:rolleyes: There's an article in RH's student newspaper about how they're not liking the "slipping down the league tables" and their disappointment about it all...

I've been merging them into a top 5 megathread to spare the rest of us.
*must start research proposal*
Reply 1816
Socrates
*must start research proposal*

Indeed you must.:smile: What is it going to be on?
Role of religion in IR with reference to South Asia (or something like that).
Reply 1818
Socrates
Role of religion in IR with reference to South Asia (or something like that).

In 500 words? That might be a bit tricky...
I didn't get the Phaidon job in the end, but feel surprisingly unbothered by the fact. Which would imply that it really wasn't the job for me. Ooh - and I've discovered an exciting 'research intern' programme at the National Maritime Museum, which is a) paid and b) down the road from my house. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending