The Student Room Group

Fawlty Towers removed from Netflix?

Since everything racist is getting removed, will Fawlty Towers be the next to go?

It is currently on Netflix, and I like to watch it. But, I am uncertain as to whether it will remain or not? I hope it doesn't get removed as I will be writing a complaint about it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fonzo
Since everything racist is getting removed, will Fawlty Towers be the next to go?

It is currently on Netflix, and I like to watch it. But, I am uncertain as to whether it will remain or not? I hope it doesn't get removed as I will be writing a complaint about it.

To be honest if it gets removed, a complaint isn't going to do much. If you look at what has happened after Come Fly With Me and Little Brittian have been removed, no matter how many people complain, if something is removed it will be removed and people are just going to have to deal with it
Reply 2
Original post by Becca216
To be honest if it gets removed, a complaint isn't going to do much. If you look at what has happened after Come Fly With Me and Little Brittian have been removed, no matter how many people complain, if something is removed it will be removed and people are just going to have to deal with it

You're right, I doubt they would even give it a second thought. I would just have to watch it some other way. But, if it does get removed, the same as Little Britain, Come Fly With Me and all the other great shows, I think it would only be fair to remove Sunny D from BBC Iplayer and also Citizen Khan.
worlds gone mad
Well the type of humour in Faulty Towers ages better so I expect it won't be removed. Up to them though.
No one 'blacks up' in Fawlty Towers, they did in Little Britain.
Reply 6
Original post by Daveological
Well the type of humour in Faulty Towers ages better so I expect it won't be removed. Up to them though.

I suppose, but I still think Sunny D and Citizen Khan should be removed. Fawlty Towers will probably be taken off the TV though, the same as Love Thy Neighbour.

It was a really good series
i hope they dont remove it
but they probs will :frown:
Original post by Raptor Jesus

If they do I'll be concerned
Reply 9
Original post by Raptor Jesus

If they do, I will start a petition to bring it back.
If they do I'll be concerned

same - perhaps then they have went too far
Original post by Fonzo
If they do, I will start a petition to bring it back.

lets hope people will be with u on that :borat:
Original post by Fonzo
I suppose, but I still think Sunny D and Citizen Khan should be removed. Fawlty Towers will probably be taken off the TV though, the same as Love Thy Neighbour.

Love thy Neighbour apparently used the N word, so I hope is not on tv. Never seen Sunny D, and I did not find Citizen Khan funny.
Are there any blackpeople in Faulty Towers?
Could Black adder get taken off? Anything dodgy there?

Cant see why Citizen Khan would get taken off?
Reply 13
Original post by barnetlad
Love thy Neighbour apparently used the N word, so I hope is not on tv. Never seen Sunny D, and I did not find Citizen Khan funny.

Love Thy Neighbour was a great show, and is on YouTube (for now). They might have used the N word, but the word 'honky' (derogatory term for white people) was also used, yet that goes unnoticed.
I can’t see the whole series of FT being taken off, but rather episodes instead. The episodes where the builders come round might be a gonna,

Also, in the Germans epaidie the major uses a racist term. I suspect that entire exchange will go as well.
Original post by Fonzo
Love Thy Neighbour was a great show, and is on YouTube (for now). They might have used the N word, but the word 'honky' (derogatory term for white people) was also used, yet that goes unnoticed.

I think it's the archaic views on race in general; on both sides.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
Are there any blackpeople in Faulty Towers?
Could Black adder get taken off? Anything dodgy there?

Cant see why Citizen Khan would get taken off?

Because the father in Citizen Khan never allowed his daughter to befriend white people. That offends me, but I am white, so my feelings don't count. There is only one black character in Fawlty Towers and one of the main characters uses racist remarks when referring to black people.
Original post by Fonzo

No it doesn't. There was a thread the other day about language in that programme.
Reply 18
Original post by ageshallnot
No it doesn't. There was a thread the other day about language in that programme.

Umm, I watch that show and the black guy (played by Rudolph Walker) uses the word in an argument with his neighbour and work colleague.
Original post by Fonzo
Umm, I watch that show and the black guy (played by Rudolph Walker) uses the word in an argument with his neighbour and work colleague.

You said that the use of 'honky' wasn't noticed. I replied that it does get noticed because it was mentioned in a recent thread about the programme.

Quick Reply

Latest