The Student Room Group

Maths question - normal distribution

The question is:

The heaviest 17% of rococo apples are classified as large, and the lightest 17% are classified as small. The remainder are classified as medium. The limits within which the masses of medium rococo apples lie are 96 g and 120 g. Stating a necessary assumption, estimate the mass of the heaviest rococo apple.

Could someone please explain the method and the answer. Thank you.
Any thoughts? Have you tried anything?
Reply 2
Original post by Theloniouss
Any thoughts? Have you tried anything?

I have yes, the mean would be 96+120/2=108. then the mass is between 96 and 120. the slightest is 0.17 and the heaviest is 0.83. my possible formula is 0.17=96-mean/variance and 0.83=120-mean/variance. I don't know where to go from here!
Original post by bobbuildder
I have yes, the mean would be 96+120/2=108. then the mass is between 96 and 120. the slightest is 0.17 and the heaviest is 0.83. my possible formula is 0.17=96-mean/variance and 0.83=120-mean/variance. I don't know where to go from here!

What are you using those formulae for?
Reply 4
Original post by Theloniouss
What are you using those formulae for?

Not sure, to find Z. If i am trying to find Z why is that useful?
Not sure, to find Z. If i am trying to find Z why is that useful?

There are a number of ways to solve this question, but using the standard normal distribution is one of them. If you are going to find Z, how is that going to help you?
Reply 6
i'm really not sure. sorry, but if I could possibly see the method I can get my head around it
i'm really not sure. sorry, but if I could possibly see the method I can get my head around it

You need to use the inverse normal function on your calculator. I can't show you the method because I haven't answered the question, you need to figure it out for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest