The Student Room Group

Coursework english literature 2020

For coursework one of our books is The turn of the screw, I'm struggling to find a book to compare this novel withPlease Help!
Hamlet
Original post by umzzzk
For coursework one of our books is The turn of the screw, I'm struggling to find a book to compare this novel withPlease Help!

What aspect of this novel are you wanting to write about? And what are the parameters of choosing another text? (is it to be from a different period?)

There are lots of routes into this, so if you can be more specific I can try and help. For example, if you wanting to explore different elements of the gothic novel you could compare to "Dracula", if you want to look at how writers can offer very different depictions of the gothic, you could go for "Northanger Abbey" which satirises the form. Or if you want to do a comparison of the evolution of the gothic novel you might compare with a modern, urban gothic novel like "the collector". I've only touched on one theme here, but there are many more, so if you let me know what you want to write about, I'll see if I can help.
Reply 3
Original post by umzzzk

Can you be a bit more specific about what the task is? What attracts you to this particular text? Are you interested in the theme of the supernatural? Is it more to do with US literature? If it is the supernatural that draws you, then there's lots of material to consider. Let me know if I'm on the right track here, and I'll get back to you with some suggestions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending