The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Oxford if you don't plan on going there?

So I was thinking of applying to Oxford in 2020-2021 (i'm year 12), but is it worth it if I will most likely end up rejecting it?

I do have the grades to get in I think (I've got 10 9s and 3A* at gcse, and I'm predicted 4 A* at alevel). If I apply, it will be for Physics, so I would have to take an aptitude test too.

But is it worth going through the whole early and stressful process if I'm just going to reject it? Would I have a more enjoyable year if I didn't go through that stress?

Also, I know self-worth isn't defined by an offer from oxbridge, but if I didn't get in, I just know I would lose motivation for a few days, and would have to build up again (which I guess is normal from what I've heard).

So would you apply if I will later reject a potential offer? Is the process really stressful?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on what you want from it. If you definitely know you don’t want to go there, maybe don’t apply. I applied, ended up getting an offer and rejecting it because I didn’t know it wasn’t for me at the time of applying. But I certainly don’t regret applying! Oh, and don’t worry about the future comments on this thread that will probably say “you’re mad for rejecting them”, just ignore them :smile:
Reply 2
You shouldn't apply to any University that you don't ever actually intend on going to.

You also shouldn't avoid trying things just because you are scared of rejection. This is not a good precedent to set yourself in life.

If there is a scenario where you would want to accept the offer (e.g. you are rejected from your #1 and #2 choices) then you should apply.
Original post by Anonymous
So I was thinking of applying to Oxford in 2020-2021 (i'm year 12), but is it worth it if I will most likely end up rejecting it?

I do have the grades to get in I think (I've got 10 9s and 3A* at gcse, and I'm predicted 4 A* at alevel). If I apply, it will be for Physics, so I would have to take an aptitude test too.

But is it worth going through the whole early and stressful process if I'm just going to reject it? Would I have a more enjoyable year if I didn't go through that stress?

Also, I know self-worth isn't defined by an offer from oxbridge, but if I didn't get in, I just know I would lose motivation for a few days, and would have to build up again (which I guess is normal from what I've heard).

So would you apply if I will later reject a potential offer? Is the process really stressful?

What on earth do you see as the advantage? Bragging rights while you are in Y13? Sit down and have a word with yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
What on earth do you see as the advantage? Bragging rights while you are in Y13? Sit down and have a word with yourself.

It's more as a backup in case I don't get into other unis (because I'm applying abroad, which is more difficult from uk)

No, you probably shouldn't. The intake is fairly strictly controlled so if you were to get an offer (and to be clear, your grades do not guarantee that), you are likely taking an offer away from someone else so by making an application you don't intend to take up, you're wasting college money and potentially disadvantaging another student. You say "self-worth isn't defined by an offer from Oxbridge" but to be honest that's exactly what it sounds like from this post.

Edit: If it's as a backup as you just posted above then I think that's fine.
Seems like a waste of an application
However, it may be in the future that you are thinking what if I applied, would I have had the potential. I applied to oxbridge with that mindset, I didn't get in (and if I had, I probably would've rejected it as after my interview I realised it probably wasn't the right place for me).
If you want to apply go for it, chances are you will get offers elsewhere for other uni's with those grades (and hopefully a good PS).

Why would you apply to Oxford if you didn't want to go there? There is a lot of work that has to go into an Oxford application, and it will mean a lot of stress for absolutely nothing.

Just because you have the grades it doesn't mean you will get in. Why is it linked to self worth? It isn't about prestige (hate that word), but about a love for the course and the subject itself. All the offer holders from my book, Oxford demystified, can't wait to go and get started. The process involves a lot of researching about your chosen subject outside of school time and if you love it, it is not a chore. Yes, it was tough at times for my sons, both Oxford graduates, but they would not have had it any other way, even if they hadn't got in.
Reply 8
Original post by Tbofig7
It depends on what you want from it. If you definitely know you don’t want to go there, maybe don’t apply. I applied, ended up getting an offer and rejecting it because I didn’t know it wasn’t for me at the time of applying. But I certainly don’t regret applying! Oh, and don’t worry about the future comments on this thread that will probably say “you’re mad for rejecting them”, just ignore them :smile:

thank you, this really helped! I'll think about it, but most likely will end up applying :smile:
It's more as a backup in case I don't get into other unis (because I'm applying abroad, which is more difficult from uk)

Oxford? A back up? Smh
Original post by Plagioclase
No, you probably shouldn't. The intake is fairly strictly controlled so if you were to get an offer (and to be clear, your grades do not guarantee that), you are likely taking an offer away from someone else so by making an application you don't intend to take up, you're wasting college money and potentially disadvantaging another student. You say "self-worth isn't defined by an offer from Oxbridge" but to be honest that's exactly what it sounds like from this post.

Edit: If it's as a backup as you just posted above then I think that's fine.

Top post, right here
It's unclear what you're actually looking to get out of this. Are you looking for the validation of being told you're good enough by Oxford. Surely you'll still be stressing over whether you get an offer or not?
thank you, this really helped! I'll think about it, but most likely will end up applying :smile:

Err, not a good idea, from what you are saying.

You only get 5 choices, and I'm assuming you want to apply to other competitive courses too. the 20-21 admissions cycle is likely to be one of the most competitive for a while, so I'd strongly advise against wasting a choice on a uni you don't really want to go to, whether Oxford or not. How would you feel if you ended up with no offers, and you could have used your 5th choice for something you had more chance of getting in to?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You only get 5 choices, and I'm assuming you want to apply to other competitive courses too. the 20-21 admissions cycle is likely to be one of the most competitive for a while, so I'd strongly advise against wasting a choice on a uni you don't really want to go to, whether Oxford or not. How would you feel if you ended up with no offers, and you could have used your 5th choice for something you had more chance of getting in to?

With that set of GCSE grades and those A Level predictions, I think it's very unlikely that they'll end up with no offers. That's enough to get you an (almost guaranteed) offer from most non-Oxbridge unis in the UK.
(edited 3 years ago)
With that set of GCSE grades and those A Level predictions, I think it's very unlikely that they'll end up with no offers. That's enough to get you an offer from most non-Oxbridge unis in the UK.

That's right. I know for many subjects, you don't even need an interview for a non Oxbridge uni! Just write a decent PS, and sit back and wait for the offers!
Reply 16
With a very strong set of grades it is extremely unlikely that you will fail to receive an offer from other top UK universities which do not have as rigorous a selection procedure. Unless of course for some reason you are one of the people with a very lukewarm reference or an inability to write a semi-coherent personal statement. That being said, if Oxford is not one of your top five choices then I don't see any reason to waste everyone's time - including your own.

You have every right to apply and every right to consider Oxford a backup option, but it is bordering on impressive levels of fatuity to apply to a university you have no intention of accepting in any circumstances.
With that set of GCSE grades and those A Level predictions, I think it's very unlikely that they'll end up with no offers. That's enough to get you an offer from most non-Oxbridge unis in the UK.

Theoretically yes, but nothing is ever guaranteed. Top unis do reject strong applicants every year, and as I said, next year is likely to be one of the competitive admissions cycles we have seen for a while. Applicants will potentially be up against more people than usual with achieved grades from this summer or Autumn exams as well, which makes things more difficult for next year's Y13.

FWIW, I do agree that it's an unlikely scenario, but I do think it's one OP should consider.
Original post by Oxford Mum
That's right. I know for many subjects, you don't even need an interview for a non Oxbridge uni! Just write a decent PS, and sit back and wait for the offers!

Just because you don't need an interview, doesn't mean you're guaranteed an offer though- lots of unis that don't interview still reject people!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Just because you don't need an interview, doesn't mean you're guaranteed an offer though- lots of unis that don't interview still reject people!

True

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending