The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone on waiting list received a reply from kings? I reckon they’re just waiting for 10th June deadline
Original post by SNA5R18
Anyone on waiting list received a reply from kings? I reckon they’re just waiting for 10th June deadline

I think someone earlier was told by kings that we will most likely hear back on results day. Idk if it was this thread or the a100 one from last year
Ive been put on the waiting list for kings and have no other offers for medicine. it's 5 more days until i have to reply to my offers. I only have 1 other offer to study biomed. what should i do? i cant risk rejecting both and wait for clearing, since more people will be applying this year.
Original post by account1296
Ive been put on the waiting list for kings and have no other offers for medicine. it's 5 more days until i have to reply to my offers. I only have 1 other offer to study biomed. what should i do? i cant risk rejecting both and wait for clearing, since more people will be applying this year.

Reject your biomed offer is what you should do. What's the risk?

The much bigger risk is doing a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine, because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much, much more competitive.

Just take a gap year and reapply for standard undergrad medicine 2022 entry - if you get a med school place via Clearing for starting in 2021, treat it as a bonus.

There's a whole thread of people planning of taking a gap year for 2022 med entry here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6953002

GEM will always be much, much more competitive - even if competition for standard undergrad med 2022 is more than 2021 entry. I would advise doing some research yourself... for example, KCL A102 GEM (read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560692) has been rejecting people with PhDs, UCAT 3040 this year - it's honestly scary what you'd be expected to achieve as a grad applicant.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)
i am on a gap year right now because of covid. this is my 2nd time applying. i didnt get any offers post interview.
i am on a gap year right now because of covid. this is my 2nd time applying. i didnt get any offers post interview.

Well then you know what you have done wrong.. i.e. your interviews.

If you couldn't manage to get an offer for standard undergrad medicine, you'd find it much, much harder for graduate entry medicine.

What makes you think you'd be able to improve your UCAT by several deciles, and also your interview performance significantly in a couple of years' time? You'd be competing with PhDs / Masters holders or people with years of healthcare experience - for much, much less places as well.

The only reason a med applicant should take a non-medicine offer, is if they plan to give up on being a doctor.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)
Anyone got their interview score back?
Original post by sushieater37
Anyone got their interview score back?

Wait do they tell you what score you get
Original post by issaaccount
Wait do they tell you what score you get

I think so far they give a table rather than a score. But they definitely do not tell you where you are on the waiting list.

I'm in the same position - applied during my gap year and i'm on 2 waiting lists but i've got two alternative course offers. I'm not looking to take a second gap year and I'd much rather just get on with my life and go to uni. Don't feel shame for having to take a longer/ more difficult route, a lot of my friends are in first year med and share some classes with graduate entry students who have applied for standard undergrad med after a degree, and they all agree that those student have it more together than anyone else on the course. If you still have your heart set on medicine after your degree, then you'll have options down the line - admin of this forum makes GEM sound too foreboding. My grades were the problem for me and they're not gonna change, so I've re-evaluated and accepted that I'm not ready right now to go into medicine - doesn't mean I'm giving up, I'm just accepting my circumstances. Hope everything goes well for you (-us, really) :smile:
Original post by mariaiaiiia
I'm in the same position - applied during my gap year and i'm on 2 waiting lists but i've got two alternative course offers. I'm not looking to take a second gap year and I'd much rather just get on with my life and go to uni. Don't feel shame for having to take a longer/ more difficult route, a lot of my friends are in first year med and share some classes with graduate entry students who have applied for standard undergrad med after a degree, and they all agree that those student have it more together than anyone else on the course. If you still have your heart set on medicine after your degree, then you'll have options down the line - admin of this forum makes GEM sound too foreboding. My grades were the problem for me and they're not gonna change, so I've re-evaluated and accepted that I'm not ready right now to go into medicine - doesn't mean I'm giving up, I'm just accepting my circumstances. Hope everything goes well for you (-us, really) :smile:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that if you weren't able to get in less competitive route for medicine that you'd be able to do so for the far more competitive route? Just to let you know, the graduates that are doing standard undergraduate medicine instead of GEM end up having to pay £37,000 in total for tuition fees with no support from student financing so make sure you have the money to do so.

Edit: From your posts you have a ucat score of 2810 b1 whilst there are people with 2900+ for GEM getting rejected: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560692&page=26#post94480424
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Butene
Out of curiosity, what makes you think that if you weren't able to get in less competitive route for medicine that you'd be able to do so for the far more competitive route? Just to let you know, the graduates that are doing standard undergraduate medicine instead of GEM end up having to pay £37,000 in total for tuition fees with no support from student financing so make sure you have the money to do so.

Edit: From your posts you have a ucat score of 2810 b1 whilst there are people with 2900+ for GEM getting rejected: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?

I don't appreciate your energy 😐 Money's not an issue for me and I happen to believe in myself enough to know that I'll be a better applicant in three years time. As I said, I don't have the grades for med - do you want me to sit around at home and mourn? Nothing better is gonna come my way right now but you, a random person on the internet, can't tell me that I should or shouldn't apply for a degree in the future. Also you digging up my UCAT score is weird and irrelevant since it's only valid for one cycle.
Original post by Butene

Edit: From your posts you have a ucat score of 2810 b1 whilst there are people with 2900+ for GEM getting rejected: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?

I don't appreciate your energy 😐 Money's not an issue for me and I happen to believe in myself enough to know that I'll be a better applicant in three years time. As I said, I don't have the grades for med - do you want me to sit around at home and mourn? Nothing better is gonna come my way right now but you, a random person on the internet, can't tell me that I should or shouldn't apply for a degree in the future. Also you digging up my UCAT score is weird and irrelevant since it's only valid for one cycle.

I'm sorry for earlier as coming back to the post I can see how negative it came off and I hadn't considered what you are going through right now, I was just trying to point out the competitiveness for those applying GEM and the costs for graduates applying to undergraduate medicine (which thankfully isn't a problem to you, but can be a problem that is not known and overlooked for others who are in particular from the working class with no savings and loans to borrow).
What are peoples interview scores?
Original post by SNA5R18
What are peoples interview scores?

how do i find out
Original post by LdnMedic
how do i find out

Ask em on kings apply
What are other people's interview scores who are on the waiting list?

I was in a similar position a few years ago. Didn't get the grades at A-Level and considering how much I underperformed, I knew the chances of me improving enough to achieve A*AA independently were slim so decided to study Biomed while Medicine was still the ultimate goal. Performed very well in my degree but took a gap year after graduating last summer due to personal circumstances. Now I can say I'm very glad to have had the experience of working full-time. It's relevant to my BSc and I don't feel like I have missed out on the university experience this year.

It's very insightful of you to recognise you are not ready for Medicine right now. I would say that realisation came to me only with experience and hindsight. And yes, this has not been the easiest route but the advice commonly given on this forum regarding Biomed fails to acknowledge people's individual circumstances. Personally, I would say the route I took is exactly what helped me receive offers. I don't want to downplay the extent of financial and life-style planning that is necessary for a graduate applicants but I can say I will be starting Medicine with a different perspective which, given the option now, I would not trade for an offer at 18.

Best of luck to you and anyone else considering an alternative route.
My son did not have good grades at A level , but instead of taking a gap year and resitting his A levels he went to do a Bsc degree and this year he has an offer and also a First in his degree. Yes, you dont get student loan ( tuition fees) if you do the 5 year course but you are eligible for maintenance loan.
Original post by mishamedic
My son did not have good grades at A level , but instead of taking a gap year and resitting his A levels he went to do a Bsc degree and this year he has an offer and also a First in his degree. Yes, you dont get student loan ( tuition fees) if you do the 5 year course but you are eligible for maintenance loan.

But the £37,000 tuition fees that need to be found up front are too much for many, many people.

Latest

Trending

Trending